Paul Scholes

Not been around for a day or so and unsure if this has been mentioned.

I know that Scholes has been linked with Latics before (it was an interview with Taggart I believe) but I think that this is the first time that he himself has ever mentioned the possibility of "coming home".

The Strawberry Blonde King

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good spot I_C.

When asked who his all-time footballing hero was by foreign journalists at the World Cup in 2002, Scholesy cited Andy Ritchie.

He's a patron of Trust Oldham and during our dark times he told the Trust's website:

“It’s upsetting to see the club having such a bad time. I’ve been a fan ever since my dad used to take me, and when you’ve watched a team for so many years you want to help. Adrian (Stores) asked me to get involved and help out a bit, which I was happy to do. It would be great to see them get over these problems and, hopefully, move on from there.”

He is widely believed to be the 'anonymous donor' of funds to cover the Northern Ireland pre-season trip when we were in Administration.

The story about Scholesy that really impressed me was that he was spotted by a Latics' fan watching a local cricket match - I think it was Werneth - and he was wearing a Latics' shirt. It takes some doing for us to do that, but for Scholesy to show his true colours proudly is truly impressive! :imnotworthy:

This was before it was commonly known that he is a keeper of the Faith. :chubb: The Latics' fan chastised him by saying "What are you doing wearing that?" and Scholesy is alleged to have said "I only work for those red barstewards!" I know it sounds like a far-fetched urban myth, but I like to believe that it's true. :grin:

Good spot I_C.

When asked who his all-time footballing hero was by foreign journalists at the World Cup in 2002, Scholesy cited Andy Ritchie.

He's a patron of Trust Oldham and during our dark times he told the Trust's website:

“It’s upsetting to see the club having such a bad time. I’ve been a fan ever since my dad used to take me, and when you’ve watched a team for so many years you want to help. Adrian (Stores) asked me to get involved and help out a bit, which I was happy to do. It would be great to see them get over these problems and, hopefully, move on from there.”

He is widely believed to be the 'anonymous donor' of funds to cover the Northern Ireland pre-season trip when we were in Administration.

The story about Scholesy that really impressed me was that he was spotted by a Latics' fan watching a local cricket match - I think it was Werneth - and he was wearing a Latics' shirt. It takes some doing for us to do that, but for Scholesy to show his true colours proudly is truly impressive! :imnotworthy:

This was before it was commonly known that he is a keeper of the Faith. :chubb: The Latics' fan chastised him by saying "What are you doing wearing that?" and Scholesy is alleged to have said "I only work for those red barstewards!" I know it sounds like a far-fetched urban myth, but I like to believe that it's true. :grin:

lol, I doubt he feels that way about united :P But like you said, its nice to think its true :P

Your memory's failing you Mr Sideburns; it was Frankie Bunn!

Blimey, I'm cracking up! That's what comes of doing a Google and then reading and swallowing what someone else has written, without thinking about it. Can't accuse you of that, Stevie. :blush:

I've since read a comment from a ManUre fan saying that Scholesy said in that interview that his favourite player was "the Odham player who scored three against Scarborough". THREE - any fool can score a hat-trick, but it takes a legend to score six!

Guest oa_exile
Coco would immediatly claim it to be a bad signing :P im sure of that :P

Coco : "Waste of a contract way over the hill" :wink:

or

Coco : "No room for two Gingers in the team" ^_^

or

Coco : "Not good enough for Manure not good enough for us" :grin:

• 4 months later...

FourFourTwo magazine has a column called 'The Insider'. It's basically a rumour mill but in February's edition it says:

"Paul Scholes is weighing up whether to retire or play a season for Oldham - the club he has always supported - when his Manchester United contract expires in the Summer of 2009"

FourFourTwo magazine has a column called 'The Insider'. It's basically a rumour mill but in February's edition it says:

"Paul Scholes is weighing up whether to retire or play a season for Oldham - the club he has always supported - when his Manchester United contract expires in the Summer of 2009"

Lol...to be fair, any one of us could've written that though....top journalism :wink:

He was at my lads school footy at chapel road last night and many other nights so I should have asked him. My lads team battered his :tongue1:

Last night was the last match though

ill ask him next month,hes doing a charity do in middleton so i shall get into his ribs.nice lad though,met him a few times now.

He could be like John Sheridan, play a for a few of seasons then take a coaching role up in the club.

I can see a lot of clubs hovering over him though when he leaves Man Utd, he'd get nothing comparable to the wage he gets at United here and if a few more clubs offer him decent money he may choose to carry on playing in the Premiership. I can see him going somewhere like Newcastle. Although on the other hand he's having a hard time with injuries these days so he might just want to settle down for a season before retirement, and in that respect I can see him choosing to play here.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

He could be like John Sheridan, play a for a few of seasons then take a coaching role up in the club.

I can see a lot of clubs hovering over him though when he leaves Man Utd, he'd get nothing comparable to the wage he gets at United here and if a few more clubs offer him decent money he may choose to carry on playing in the Premiership. I can see him going somewhere like Newcastle. Although on the other hand he's having a hard time with injuries these days so he might just want to settle down for a season before retirement, and in that respect I can see him choosing to play here.

I can't see him playing for anyone else apart from us when he finishes at United (provided he doesn't retire). If he is indeed a real fan of the club which he appears to be (has been seen at a few reserve games in the past?), I don't think money would be an issue in anyway with him being a millionaire several times over no doubt already. If he wants to play a season at the club I very much doubt he would be asking us to break the bank to sign him, what sort of fan would do that?

I used to see him every morning in my student days. ya see, i worked at maccy's on the retail park near Latics and he would never go to a training session without a bacon roll meal every morning. hell, he didnt even need to place an order, i knew what he wanted already. true blue is that bloke, was on first name terms with him, and would talk about latics a hell of a lot. no doubt in my mind he will play at tics if he doesnt retire, and if he does, imo he is a future manager.

No chance he will play anywhere else imo

PS, how a pro footballer can have a maccys every morning and still be world class is beyond me.

Obviously I'd like to see the lad grace BP especially as he's a tic. However I don't wanna see him here in the same shape as Lennon was at Forest. I'd much rather have him here for a good season and half where he's really affective and possibly another where he just sits and dictates. So his contract runs till 2009 which means another full season at ManUre after this one, so would I get my wish for 3 seasons? not to sure about that.

has anyone got the picture of him in latics kit, photoshoped in a program 2/3 seasons ago

The programme in question was vs Notts County on 22nd Feb' 2003. Scholesy was sat just in front of me in the Chaddy End that day. I asked him politely to sign the afore mentioned pic and he thought it a hiarious mock up. The guy was a true gent signing autographs all afternoon for kids and big kids such as myself all afternoon. If I knew how to post pics on here I'd post it complete with Mr.Scholes monicker! Think thats a real collectors item that!