Reuben Hazell

Guest oa exile

Deal or No Deal ?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Would you offer him a Deal ?

• Deal
    • No Deal

Guest oa_exile

Should he be offered a contract ? , no brainer for me anyway , the lad is a deffo !

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/SPORTT05.html

Hazell eyes fresh deal

DEFENDER Reuben Hazell has played the last game of his initial, short-term spell at Boundary Park.

And there's little doubt the 28-year-old has done enough to become a permanent member of Athletic's squad.

Hazell was only given a one-month deal by manager John Sheridan, but he went straight into the team at centre-half.

Athletic have since made big improvement at the back, with the ex-Chesterfield man performing well alongside Sean Gregan.

Hazell said: "We are getting a good understanding, and I like playing with Sean because he tells you what he wants.

"We need to keep working at things on the training ground and it will come right on the pitch, but I've enjoyed being here.

"My month's trial is up and I would love to stay – we've got good players, I'm impressed with the training facilities and the ideas are great.

"We tested ourselves against the best when we played Leeds, and it showed there's nothing to fear in this division."

A twist of fate – or rather a strain of hamstring – led to Hazell joining Athletic as he was expected to sign for MK Dons before the injury struck.

During a five-week rehabilitation programme, he changed his mind after being contacted by Sheridan.

The fact that he chose us over that abomination of a franchise down in Milton Keynes serves to make him even better in my eyes.

His partnership with Gregan is good and getting better all the time. Not sure how much he will want but a tried and tested player who complements his senior CB partner has to be better than taking another gamble in the transfer market.

The fact that he chose us over that abomination of a franchise down in Milton Keynes serves to make him even better in my eyes.

His partnership with Gregan is good and getting better all the time. Not sure how much he will want but a tried and tested player who complements his senior CB partner has to be better than taking another gamble in the transfer market.

Deal, Deal, deal! Ignore what the banker says!

The only thing that could stop it is stam returning over the horizon....

Deal, Deal, deal! Ignore what the banker says!

The only thing that could stop it is stam returning over the horizon....

I say sign him. Has done more than enough to be offered something longer term. Personally i would give him a contract till the end of the season.

Not to put a negative slant on things but players do tend to give %110 in every game to earn a deal. Wasn't sure whether sigining another player who was relegated with his last club out of our league was going to be a good idea but he looks solid enough.

Give him till end of the season and see how he gets on when he's not fighting for a contract.

Like anybody cares about MK Dons anyway. Seriously, since I moved to MK, I've seen like 2 Dons fans. Everyone else supports either United, Liverpool or Arsenal. And then there's me :grin: supporting Oldham, the team that nobody here has heard of :P

But yeah back on topic, I say sign him! Unless Stam :wub: come back, in which case I'd rather see him playing - purely for his footballing skills mind :wink:

I've just cast my vote and then seen the results to date.

I am the 65th person to have cast my opinion on Mr Hazell and I was genuinely shocked to see it as 100% in favour. There's usually someone who goes against the grain, if only to be noticed!!! That said, I think its conclusive the fans want him signed up. Just so long as he doesn't turn into a donkey once the ink dries on the dotted line.

Definitely sign. I don't know what more the lad could have done, coming in off injury and the summer break. Contract to the end of the season with an option to extend IMO

True, but you could say the same about Trotman....really feel for that lad. He must be utterly frustrated by the way it's gone (or not) for him.

But yes, Hazell is the piece sorely needed in the jigsaw. Really was bemused by the signing of Thompson (and the fans excitement about it) and now we're stuck with his wage....Hazell hopefully is a 100%er and I think whereas others do turn gash when they've signed, there's something about Hazell that makes me think he's going to be highly regarded while being with us. Just an enthusiasm he oozes....his celebrations at Walsall the other week were quite heartwarming.

I'm 69 in the vote (which incidentally is my favourite number :grin: ) and so far 100% in favour of giving Hazell a permanent deal.

TBH I'm not surprised at this result as anyone who was watching us before and after Hazell's arrival can see how much better and more solid we look.

He has some pace which certainly helps but his overall game is much better than Thompson's in every aspect.

When we first signed him I was a bit concerned with him having been released by the relegated Chesterfield (although this now seems to have been for financial reasons), however seeing is believing and his performances have been excellent.

So I would say definately give him a deal at least until the end of the season.

Shouldn't even be up for discussion - has been brill - Ruby Ruby Ruby Ruben - lar lar la lar la lar

73rd Voter. still 100%!

Would probably still prefer Stam alongside Gregan but you can't argue with how well the Gregan/Hazell partnership is going, he deserves a contract until the end of the season and discuss an extension at that time.