Boring boring Oldham

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an eternal optimist I would like this post to be respected and please refrain from sending me rope or anything else in that vein.

I have always liked Johnson and my gosh he talks a good game (barring thinking Winchester needs a loan spell - he's ready now), however, the style of football in the final 10 games last term wasn't for the faint hearted and despite all my Summer prayers, it looks like we are set for more of the same this season. Don't get me wrong the 4-1-4-1 away from home with what looks a rock solid defence is spot on and will work well on the counter. The worry is at BP - it was dire watching us in those last few games even with the magician Harkins in the ranks. We now look short of any natural spark in the squad and I expect a season of low scoring affairs that will keep the stay aways, that threaten to come back with the new stand, away from BP.

Playing DP in midfield handcuffed the lad last season, but if LJ starts against Colchester with Jones, Kelly and Dieng we are without any central support for JCH. Dayton in the middle looked a shout against Curzon, however he is needed out wide in this 4-5-1 with limited other options in that position. They are all pretty similar and look nice, neat footballers but not like they are going to threaten the opposition backline too much. Mellor and Winchester impressed against Newcastle and then are given limited game-time again.

My main concern, both last season and today, is LJ's refusal to think of or try out a plan B, which he stated was essential in the fans meetings. JCH was and is stranded time and time again. Surely pre-season is an opportunity to try out new tactics, however LJ doesn't want to try 4-4-2 or 3 at the back (our strength is there) and seems to have cemented the 4-1-4-1 formation as the blueprint for the season (home and away).

I will remain positive at games and give the team and LJ all the support that I can, however I am slightly concerned that we are beginning with these tactics. Here's to promotion starting with a 5-0 victory at Colchester!

DP, Turner and Bove, all strikers moved to the flanks or midfield and all less effective for it. I don't see LJs logic in this?

And Forte.

Wouldn't mind seeing Forte play in his usual striker position along side JCH. Clarke-Harris desperately needs help up top.

You can play 2 up top (one being DP) with wing backs. Brown (can't believe he's convinced me) looks perfect if he develops his crossing and Mills on the left - both have engines and pace. Centre backs are our strength. Out wide we look weak and JCH is desperate for support with no midfielders being natural attacking CM's barring Winchester, who has been waiting for us to switch to 3 CM's since he broke through.

And Forte.

Wouldn't mind seeing Forte play in his usual striker position along side JCH. Clarke-Harris desperately needs help up top.

Swap them round, Clarke-Harris would be far more effective wide IMO.

Edited by deyres42

Three centre backs and two wing backs could work with the present players, Kusunga and Wilson are quick enough to cover if Brown and Mills go marauding forward, while Llera or Lockwood would be solid in the middle.

However, 3-5-2 isn't the current tactical trend so LJ won't try it, friendlies would have given him the ideal opportunity.

From what I've seen it looks like we are stuck with last seasons home formation and all it's joys again, which is a shame as there are some good attack minded players waiting to be let off the leash.

Edited by BP1960

I have always liked Johnson and my gosh he talks a good game (barring thinking Winchester needs a loan spell - he's ready now), however, the style of football in the final 10 games last term wasn't for the faint hearted and despite all my Summer prayers, it looks like we are set for more of the same this season. Don't get me wrong the 4-1-4-1 away from home with what looks a rock solid defence is spot on and will work well on the counter. The worry is at BP - it was dire watching us in those last few games even with the magician Harkins in the ranks. We now look short of any natural spark in the squad and I expect a season of low scoring affairs that will keep the stay aways, that threaten to come back with the new stand, away from BP.

That would be the final ten games where we didn't lose? I'd take that all season, please..

In an ideal world, we'll do well in this division playing like a League One Barcelona, but that is never going to happen. The second option has to be just getting the results regardless.

It's pre-season and I doubt we're anywhere near the finished article. LJ will be trying to bring in more players before the start of the season to get us nearer to a more attractive team to watch. I have no problem with him using pre-season friendlies to get the new recruits and trialists to adapt to the system that kept us from losing in the final ten games of last season.

In the three friendlies we've (all) seen, the subs have generally played well. Mellor and Winchester both look sharp, Lockwood solid as ever and Bove has shown glimpses. Plenty of options for LJ, especially in CM and CB.

Can't wait for the JPT.

That would be the final ten games where we didn't lose? I'd take that all season, please..

In an ideal world, we'll do well in this division playing like a League One Barcelona, but that is never going to happen. The second option has to be just getting the results regardless.

It's pre-season and I doubt we're anywhere near the finished article. LJ will be trying to bring in more players before the start of the season to get us nearer to a more attractive team to watch. I have no problem with him using pre-season friendlies to get the new recruits and trialists to adapt to the system that kept us from losing in the final ten games of last season.

I have doubts about that as LJ seems to be obsessed with defensive midfielders (remember he still has another in David Noble on trial),

Edited by BP1960

I have doubts about that as LJ seems to be obsessed with defensive midfielders (remember he still has another in David Noble on trial),

Surely he must be planning to bring in some more attacking players..

All though I wouldn't be as doom an gloom as yard dog. He has a point. We are set exactly the same as those last ten games, hard to beat. We stop the opposition. Rather than imposing ourselves. Yes, yes, it's only pre season. . But the signs are there. Anyone who thinks we're going to any different to that is well wide of the mark IMO.

I'll wager we don't score many at home this season. 1, he won't play two strikers a lot, 2, JCH while a rough diamond, isn't clinical enough. 3 he likes playing strikers on the wing. . .

The point people are making about us progressing by being 'hard to beat' is irrelevant. Because your only as good as your strikers in this league, an if you can't score your 'one chance' or don't create a lot you won't win many.

Having said all that, I do understand LJ position,

we ain't got any money, we can't afford a really decent striker, so he's going with what he thinks will get us the most points on the budget we've got. I just don't think his style will bring anything more than lower mid table.

Liked forte, thought Kelly played well. Dayton looked far more effective in the hole. Brown was class- at left back! Gros- er noooooooo!