Oldham Athletic 0-0 Gillingham

Kelly and Jones created little, they stood back most of the time, with Gillingham showing little ambition there was no need for both to play so deep.

But surely the point is that the team created chances with the system as it is? So if we're keeping clean sheets and creating chances, the problem lies with the finishing.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem today was clear, and it wasn't Kelly or Jones. We created more than enough chances to win the game comfortably.

We lack someone with the touch and/or composure to finish when the opportunity arises. Kelly & Jones were part of the midfield that created 15+ opportunities today.

From the last few games, the opposition have only managed to create maybe 5 scoring opportunities between them at most, yet we've created probably had 9 or 10 good chances in each game.

The issue we have is obvious, but someone who can stick every other chance away costs more money than we have!

Spot on goal scorer wise - it's been the same for the last two or three seasons - but at least we are going to get a 20 goal a season new stand to watch from in the same division (probably) next year.

But surely the point is that the team created chances with the system as it is? So if we're keeping clean sheets and creating chances, the problem lies with the finishing.

Tell me how many goals you think will Jones and Kelly score this season, also assists from open play?

IMO one of them can be sacrificed at home for an attacking midfielder capable of finding the net.

Edited by BP1960

I've agreed with BP mostly about the two holding midfielders, but the system is working a lot better now and Kelly and Jones do try to get us moving forward.

The balls Dayton and Turner knocked across the 6 yard box were nothing to do with the midfielders, it was the strikers that were nowhere to be found.

But the manager's philosophy is the same at home as last season, basically two holding midfielders.

It isn't.

These two are looking to get it forward at every opportunity.

You're preaching to the converted but we can't afford a 27 year old Richie Wellens.

These two are miles better (for us) & more attacking than the last two.

I've agreed with BP mostly about the two holding midfielders, but the system is working a lot better now and Kelly and Jones do try to get us moving forward.

The balls Dayton and Turner knocked across the 6 yard box were nothing to do with the midfielders, it was the strikers that were nowhere to be found.

Is Poleon a striker, I remember him as a fast direct left winger, is it a case of square pegs in round holes again?

Edited by BP1960

It isn't.

These two are looking to get it forward at every opportunity.

You're preaching to the converted but we can't afford a 27 year old Richie Wellens.

These two are miles better (for us) & more attacking than the last two.

They are neat and tidy players I agree, they keep it ticking over, but do they actually create anything from open play?

I thought we played well today, with a bit more nous in the final 3rd of the pitch we would have walked that. Poleon should have squared when we had 2 free in the box 1st half and he chose to shoot. Also Dayton should have done better instead of opting to use his left peg. On the plus side Joe Mills was outstanding the no 11 never got a sniff and they kept trying to use that as their attacking option. Wilkinson looks like he has a footballing brain and is strong and athletic, and another clean sheet.

Can understand the subs but they should have been more spread out.

Maybe a 10 - 15 min gap between them as it clearly took the sting out of the game for us bringing them both on together.

Disappointed with Kelly and Jones today ,not so much with their quality of play rather than their ambition. Gills were offering so little in attack that one of them could have pushed much further up the field.

All in all we are putting a decent side together and we are just lacking an old fashion centre forward target man who can take the pressure off the others.

I thought we played well today, with a bit more nous in the final 3rd of the pitch we would have walked that. Poleon should have squared when we had 2 free in the box 1st half and he chose to shoot. Also Dayton should have done better instead of opting to use his left peg. On the plus side Joe Mills was outstanding the no 11 never got a sniff and they kept trying to use that as their attacking option. Wilkinson looks like he has a footballing brain and is strong and athletic, and another clean sheet.

The performance was ok, but Gillingham were there for the taking .

Edited by BP1960

Tell me how many goals you think will Jones and Kelly score this season, also assists from open play?

IMO one of them can be sacrificed at home for an attacking midfielder capable of finding the net.

You might be right. And I don't go enough to know for sure either way. But what I'm essentially saying is that I don't care about their personal goal/assist stats IF the team as a whole is creating enough chances and someone is putting them away.

Positives:

- Don't think I've ever seen Latics as comfortable in possession, and most of the time we actually looked like we had an idea of what we wanted to do with the ball.

- Kelly and Jones are definitely improving. As good as Winchester could be in the middle, we shouldn't be looking to move these two.

- We're looking as solid as we were at the end of last season at the back. Elokobi is getting the MOTM awards, but James Wilson is easily our best player atm. Think we'll struggle to keep him at the end of the season, if not January.

-The ten minutes before the subs had all 3 sides singing and getting behind the team. Fair play to the Athleticos for getting that started.

Negatives:

- Goes without saying but we should have won that game by 3 or 4. Their CBs were both shaky whenever the ball wasn't at head-height and we didn't take advantage.

- The subs were a gamble but didn't work and any threat disappeared after that. Hopefully LJ will learn from it.

Bring on Swindon.

There are many positives, such as four clean sheets in a row.

But I think BP makes an excellent point week in, week out. We aren't set up to score goals.

Not a binary code. This season's goals scored at home.

Here's another stat.

That's goals scored at home since the remarkable second half against Peterborough.

In a third of our home games we don't score a goal. In the rest we only score one.

Is it a trend? Well before the Posh game it was 111011 in December and January.

While we might end this season mid-table with a bit of good fortune, we won't be increasing attendances any time soon. A manager who I like needs to change a thing or two. I'd actually keep a Winchester where he is and give Kelly / Jones a licence to get forwards more.

I've seen enough of Kelly to realise he can pick a pass. Jones has an occasional drifting diagonal run off the ball from left to right in his game which, if used more often, could be devastating. Both have a good shot. If they get to the edge of the box.

If the defence starts creaking (and it is a back four that is weak on crosses) we're stuffed if he keeps things as they are.

Edited by opinions4u

Definitely some positives today. Elokobi's distribution and passing out of defence. Wilson's rock steady calmness in central defence. Glimpses of Poleon's pace and trickery. However - a special mention to Mills. Has been this board's boo boy over recent weeks but today I thought he was committed and was my MOM. As for Kelly and Jones - I thought they both played well. Jones always appears to up the tempo and both are far more creative than those they replaced.

Thought we look more solid than we have for a long time.

Also thought we dominated, which we have rarely done for some time.

The only problem is, as everyone says, the lack of a cutting edge. We we crying out for a goalscoring centre-forward. Poleon looks like a good support striker, but the team needs a target man. Thought Robin Van Wilkinson looks like a man with potential, but we need an experienced centre-forward.

I doubt we can afford one.

Just read Peter Taylor's comments:

“I’m not so sure we deserved a point but the only thing I would say was that, to me, when Oldham had good chances it was from our mistakes, but overall our work rate was very good.

“But our passing and calmness on the ball was very poor and I think that’s why we defended too much in the game.

"When eventually we got a couple of passes right then I felt as though we could go and score a goal but there wasn’t enough of that.

“I just know the standards of the players the way they have set themselves recently and that wasn’t a good standard today.

“Football is very unpredictable; yes I’m frustrated with the performance because we are a lot better than that but if I was frustrated with the performance because of lack of work rate then that would be even worse.

“It wasn’t a case of that but I just felt too many players made some bad mistakes and lost the ball in bad areas.”

“I’m probably more disappointed with our performance today but we got a point away from home against a team we hardly ever get a point against away from home, so in that respect I’ve got to be pleased.”

Always had a soft spot form, ever since his loan spell with us. Seems to be a fair and honest assessment from his perspective.

I'm looking at it as two points dropped....but a lot of positives, we are passing and moving better, more up for it and I have to say love Big G's passing forward of the ball. A big unit who can pass a ball to feet, and again a lap of honour clap us fans. Looked toward the end like he might have pulled his upper right thigh

Was surprised Dayton started but pleased with his contribution as he frustrates the hell out of me, philly just needs a bloody goal. Midfield looked solid enough too.

Missing forte? Will we loose winny in the he next transfer window?..hmmm

Unbeaten in four games, we are sitting nicely in the league and clean sheets too....just that last piece of the puzzle missing goals..aagghh

There are many positives, such as four clean sheets in a row.

But I think BP makes an excellent point week in, week out. We aren't set up to score goals.

Not a binary code. This season's goals scored at home.

Here's another stat.

That's goals scored at home since the remarkable second half against Peterborough.

In a third of our home games we don't score a goal. In the rest we only score one.

Is it a trend? Well before the Posh game it was 111011 in December and January.

While we might end this season mid-table with a bit of good fortune, we won't be increasing attendances any time soon. A manager who I like needs to change a thing or two. I'd actually keep a Winchester where he is and give Kelly / Jones a licence to get forwards more.

I've seen enough of Kelly to realise he can pick a pass. Jones has an occasional drifting diagonal run off the ball from left to right in his game which, if used more often, could be devastating. Both have a good shot. If they get to the edge of the box.

If the defence starts creaking (and it is a back four that is weak on crosses) we're stuffed if he keeps things as they are.

Good stats O4U, however, my feeling is Kelly or Jones (both neat players) won't be given license to get forward more as clean sheets at home seem the priority.

All well and good if a point per game and survival is the priority, personally I'd sooner see more goals from all areas the pitch, but if the strikers can't do their job the current midfielders certainly can't be relied on to help out by chipping in with many goals.

I think we are stuck with the home formation, in that case the best I hope for is the defence can keep up the good work and we manage a 1-0 win or a draw.

Edited by BP1960