Latics 2 - 1 Walsall

Oh and I'll add that whilst Tarky has gone on to bigger and better things and obviously improved since he left us but Wilson is better than the Tarky that left us.

Absolute quality that lad.

Big shout that, and i'm not so sure it's correct either.

We do tend to go down the 'he wasnt that good anyway' route when players leave us.

In Tarky's case, now he's no longer here and we can't watch him every week, it's maybe easy to forget just how well he had developed. Forget the missed penalty - that's not really his game and he shouldnt be judged on that - have a quick scan of the match ratings for Brentford and also their message board, he's doing really well in a higher division.

James Wilson is a very good player, one of our better ones actually. But as a direct comparison to Tarky? Difficult, but i'd still take Tarky over him every time. Tarky will IMO grace the Premiership, i'm not so sure Wilson will...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a little thing we need to address the last bloody 10 mins or so when I have no nails left.

Why do we invite all that pressure on ourselves, I thought for sure Walsall were going to get an equaliser, keep possession by all means but yikes don't let the opposition near the penalty box.

Or at least have a 5 goal cushion so my heart can cope in those last 10 mins or so.

Just a little thing we need to address the last bloody 10 mins or so when I have no nails left.

Why do we invite all that pressure on ourselves, I thought for sure Walsall were going to get an equaliser, keep possession by all means but yikes don't let the opposition near the penalty box.

Or at least have a 5 goal cushion so my heart can cope in those last 10 mins or so.

It wasn't by choice, as we became tired and our movement slowed we no longer had the options to retain possession and were forced longer and more direct.

Unfortunately, we didn't hold the ball up as we cleared our lines and as such struggled.

We are clearly set up to defend through retention of the ball and need to retain our movement to do that. Kelly was almost sold short twice by Dieng when passing the ball inside as he was the only available pass....in the first half hour he would have had two or three.

Small things, but will be crucial against better or, dare it be said, play off opposition!!

Big shout that, and i'm not so sure it's correct either.

We do tend to go down the 'he wasnt that good anyway' route when players leave us.

In Tarky's case, now he's no longer here and we can't watch him every week, it's maybe easy to forget just how well he had developed. Forget the missed penalty - that's not really his game and he shouldnt be judged on that - have a quick scan of the match ratings for Brentford and also their message board, he's doing really well in a higher division.

James Wilson is a very good player, one of our better ones actually. But as a direct comparison to Tarky? Difficult, but i'd still take Tarky over him every time. Tarky will IMO grace the Premiership, i'm not so sure Wilson will...

There's not much between them but Tarky will become lots better and is rightly playing in the Championship, but you don't expect Wilson to make the occasional cock-up that Tarky would sometimes do.

All of the players who've left us have been replaced by people who are as good (if not better). Mills for Grounds, J Wilson for Tarky, B Wilson for Brown, Jones for Wes, Kelly for Smith, Forte for JCH. Fair play to LJ and Corney.

My one slight gripe about yesterday was Dieng. He got caught under the ball for their goal and then it happened again about 15mins later, and how many times did he try hoof the ball up to Poleon (not his game) but over hit the ball and it went either straight to their keeper or out for a goal kick.

We've had worse fifth choice centre halfs

Think that last sentence is the key really. With a more consistent finisher of the chances we are creating, more games like yesterday will be done and dusted.

I said before the game it's the kind of test we've regularly failed over the past few years and to also go a goal down meant it could've gone the same way. I just like the fact that we seem to be improving game on game (going back through last season) and that can only end well.

Spoke to a city mate who I bumped into yesterday and he was hugely impressed with the football we played and the way we controlled the game.

I thought Jones was outstanding and even young Dieng to say it's his first real taste of L1 at centre back grew into the game, not bad for a 5th choice cb.

The referee liked the sound of his own voice.

How he only found 1 minute for the first half I'll never know. He spent that lecturing the ball boys, never mind the palaver we had for corners and handbangs.

He was a fussy git.

But we've been taking the piss with multi-ball all season.

It's only meant to be used if the ball clears the fence.

I know it's fun to boo the ref but I didn't see what was wrong with his chat with the ballboys yesterday. We're not using a multiball system anymore (primarily because our ballboys at the time were a bit pants at it IIRC). They can only use a new ball if the ball goes into the stand.

I know it's fun to boo the ref but I didn't see what was wrong with his chat with the ballboys yesterday. We're not using a multiball system anymore (primarily because our ballboys at the time were a bit pants at it IIRC). They can only use a new ball if the ball goes into the stand.

We aren't using a multi-ball system because the League banned it, possibly due to it being less than fair. We have received special dispensation to use it for when the ball goes over the fence into the new stand for health and safety reasons. Would think other clubs having building work done can also use it but as I wasn't at Posh, and they are the best example from this season I wouldn't say for definite.

We aren't using a multi-ball system because the League banned it, possibly due to it being less than fair. We have received special dispensation to use it for when the ball goes over the fence into the new stand for health and safety reasons. Would think other clubs having building work done can also use it but as I wasn't at Posh, and they are the best example from this season I wouldn't say for definite.

Not in use at Posh. Indeed, the ball boy behind the goal went into the building site to recover the ball a couple of times.

He should have also been talking to the players about it on Saturday. The ball boys know they are only supposed to use the spare balls when the match ball goes into the building site, but that hasn't stopped the players of both sides yelling at the ball boys to give them a ball. I imagine it's pretty intimidating for and 11 or 12 year old to be yelled at on top note by some big 6 footer.

Edited by danoafc

My little gripe would be with Rachubka. Although he commanded the box well, dealing with crosses etc, and it was Dieng's positioning that led to Walsall's chance, Rachubka was in an awful position, so easy for their boy to tuck it away. Not the first time he's looked a bit wobbly this season.

Rachubka was in an awful position, so easy for their boy to tuck it away.

I think you're doing their boy's first touch a grave disservice. The long ball is curling inwards towards the penalty spot; his touch kills it and has it heading in a more central direction. Very difficult for Rachubka to completely reposition himself in such a short space of time.

EDIT: And he opens his body up just before the shot. The more I watch it the more I admire it!