Barry Owen Chron Comments

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my reply to Bazza, as I too didn't attend the Bradford match and therefore am seemingly one of the fans he's having a pop at. I'm been fine-tuning it last night and today. It's ready now.

Dear Barry

I was on :censored:ing holiday in Spain you mong.

Kind regards,

Frankly Mr Shankly.

Barry deserves better.

Let's hope it's not his usual negativity and how we're having a player sale in January.

He's done it so many times and it always seems to happen when a little progress is being made.

As has been said repeatedly it's going to take time to get fans back onside and the best thing he could do now would be to keep his big trap shut.

Let's hope it's not his usual negativity and how we're having a player sale in January.

He's done it so many times and it always seems to happen when a little progress is being made.

As has been said repeatedly it's going to take time to get fans back onside and the best thing he could do now would be to keep his big trap shut.

Selective reading of what he says. Corney is often very positive about progress....

Phrases like "keep his big trap shut" say more about your negativity than anything else

Brace yourselves, looks like Corney is going have his say today...

Doesnt say much really other than the standard we will have to sell in January to plug the gap that the low crowds are having, heres a suggestion keep the team bite the bullet and it may stop some of the disenchantment among stay away fans ? At some stage the manager has to be backed, results will see the fans come back more than anything.

Doesnt say much really other than the standard we will have to sell in January to plug the gap that the low crowds are having...

...and credits Barry with Latics having joint best disciplinary record in the Football League.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/88800/fair-play-to-barry

Doesnt say much really other than the standard we will have to sell in January to plug the gap that the low crowds are having, heres a suggestion keep the team bite the bullet and it may stop some of the disenchantment among stay away fans ? At some stage the manager has to be backed, results will see the fans come back more than anything.

We have got to sell though or we wont survive its simple

We have got to sell though or we wont survive its simple

I doubt its that simple to be honest, If thats the case why pay fees for Poleon and Turner and never play them ? Didnt I read in the Chron that our deal with SD will elevate us into a position where we can compete with the top teams in the division ? Mixed messages Id say.

The crowds that SC mentions for the budget does seem a little suspect as given (as already pointed out) we have not got near that amount for ages.

Perhaps he feels that he put more money into the team, backing LJ, and assumed that success would equate to increased crowds to help balance the books?

I can see why you might do that as part of a Business Plan - but have the option of a player sale (or two) in January if the plan isn't coming to fruition.

In the end of the day its a hard message for the hardcore few - we are the ones that do pay the money on a regular basis, but we are not enough to make the books balance. And I would still prefer OAFC to be financially stable and selling a few players rather than gambling the future of the club on promotion coming along to balance the books at the end of the season. If we continue to get mediocre crowds then, we have to accept that our team will always be at risk of sales to balance the books upsetting the balance of the side.

I doubt its that simple to be honest, If thats the case why pay fees for Poleon and Turner and never play them ? Didnt I read in the Chron that our deal with SD will elevate us into a position where we can compete with the top teams in the division ? Mixed messages Id say.

I am not sure if that was said in the Chron but I doubt it would be true.

The "seven figure" deal is going to be £1,000,000. Over 5 years that equates to £200,000 per season - or the equivalent to an extra 40 people on the gate each home game. Not exactly enough to see us competing with the budgets of Bradford, Bristol, Sheffield United etc.

We are a team with small crowds and at the moment almost zero income from the stadium / facilities outside of match day (I have had work events at Bradford and Sheffield grounds during the week). The stadium development might help us gain some ground back - and potentially some interest in the team - but we are still going to be financial minnows in this league with crowds of approx 4,000.

Tell you what, why don't you not bother paying your mortgage for the next few months, and instead put the money into lottery tickets, cos hey, you could win millions of pounds!!

Sounds about the same kind of advice, and probable outcome.

The crowds that SC mentions for the budget does seem a little suspect as given (as already pointed out) we have not got near that amount for ages.

Perhaps he feels that he put more money into the team, backing LJ, and assumed that success would equate to increased crowds to help balance the books?

I can see why you might do that as part of a Business Plan - but have the option of a player sale (or two) in January if the plan isn't coming to fruition.

In the end of the day its a hard message for the hardcore few - we are the ones that do pay the money on a regular basis, but we are not enough to make the books balance. And I would still prefer OAFC to be financially stable and selling a few players rather than gambling the future of the club on promotion coming along to balance the books at the end of the season. If we continue to get mediocre crowds then, we have to accept that our team will always be at risk of sales to balance the books upsetting the balance of the side.

Only guessing but I'm not sure any extra money has gone into the playing side.

The "seven figure" deal is going to be £1,000,000. Over 5 years that equates to £200,000 per season - or the equivalent to an extra 40 people on the gate each home game. Not exactly enough to see us competing with the budgets of Bradford, Bristol, Sheffield United etc.

£5,000 per person? Surely not!

We are a team with small crowds and at the moment almost zero income from the stadium / facilities outside of match day (I have had work events at Bradford and Sheffield grounds during the week). The stadium development might help us gain some ground back - and potentially some interest in the team - but we are still going to be financial minnows in this league with crowds of approx 4,000.

I make it 400. Not 40.

Spot on.

He makes me laugh, 10 years in he still puts outs occasional sounds bites about low crowds, or we're a league two club in league one, or general doom an gloom.

When in reality, he's kept us going, runs the club prudently, is developing the stadium, an above all backs his managers time an again. . .

All with no money an low crowds. . .

Either things aren't as bad as uncle Simon likes to let on, or he's hiding a money tree somewhere.