Barry Owen Chron Comments

The "seven figure" deal is going to be £1,000,000. Over 5 years that equates to £200,000 per season - or the equivalent to an extra 40 people on the gate each home game. Not exactly enough to see us competing with the budgets of Bradford, Bristol, Sheffield United etc.

It could be £1,000,001.

Could be £250,000 a season.

Neither of us know.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure if that was said in the Chron but I doubt it would be true.

The "seven figure" deal is going to be £1,000,000. Over 5 years that equates to £200,000 per season - or the equivalent to an extra 40 people on the gate each home game. Not exactly enough to see us competing with the budgets of Bradford, Bristol, Sheffield United etc.

We are a team with small crowds and at the moment almost zero income from the stadium / facilities outside of match day (I have had work events at Bradford and Sheffield grounds during the week). The stadium development might help us gain some ground back - and potentially some interest in the team - but we are still going to be financial minnows in this league with crowds of approx 4,000.

Id question the zero income other than on matchdays, some nice houses gone up at the bottom of sheepfoot lane and the carparks seem pretty full every time I go past on all days of the week.

Why would we budget on a "average house of 6,500 and 7,000" when we have not averaged crowds of this size for near on 8 years +?

That's the figure we would have to reach to breakeven without selling players or having anykind of cup run. As we have already made a healthy profit on player trading this season due with the sales of Smith and JCH I would imagine this goes along way to plugging the shortfall.

Plus we still have the Liverpool fixture to come and could even make the JPT final!

Sticking my neck out here I don't think we will sell any of of our key players in January if we are in the top 8 if we are in mid table wilderness then I think an undisclosed sale will happen.

Perhaps he feels that he put more money into the team, backing LJ, and assumed that success would equate to increased crowds to help balance the books?

As a successful businessman, I'd be very surprised if he genuinely thought that being in the play-off hunt in November would result in the home attendance doubling.

Why would we budget on a "average house of 6,500 and 7,000" when we have not averaged crowds of this size for near on 8 years +?

That's not from a quote by SC, it's a Chron comment.

@Matt_Chambers_: To be clear: #oafc have not "budgeted" for crowds of 6,500 to 7,000. That's the break-even point.

@Matt_Chambers_: Error is not mine, it's correct in print but seems to have crept in when subbed for the web. #oafc

The rarely-wrong Chron.

That sounds as if they expect to lose money unless they get exceptional income such as sales or the Liverpool game

You almost sound surprised.

The games against Liverpool combined with a few player sales have pretty much kept us in business the idea where we would be without them is quite frightening we could have gone the Stockport route.

Corney's been running the place on a break even basis assuming 3,500 to 4,000 home fans. We've been attracting the lower end of this number so the odd player sale or cup run plugs the gap.

Somewhere there's a chunk of exaggeration going on which is probably linked to the capital costs of building a new stand. 6,500+ my arse.

Edited by opinions4u

If the people who went to Everton and Liverpool turned up every week we would be at the break even figure. Where are they? Did they go to watch the opposition? They certainly don't support the club. I'm as frustrated as Barry, Simon and most on this site.

If the people who went to Everton and Liverpool turned up every week we would be at the break even figure. Where are they? Did they go to watch the opposition? They certainly don't support the club. I'm as frustrated as Barry, Simon and most on this site.

I think it's quite obvious isn't it?

Season Ticket holders and committed pay on the dayers bring their friends/family/work-mates etc.

I know for the Liverpool game, several people from work came. Their teams range from City, United, Chelsea, Spurs and a Rugby League Leeds Rhino's fan. None have been back since. All came because they fancied going to a big fixture with Oldham Supporting mates or relatives.

There's a line of these Thousands of Lapsed fans out in the Borough. For me, it's a Myth: we dont have them anymore. We have certain people who will come along for 1 off games every few years if the feeling takes them; but they're not lapsed fans. They're not fans of ours to start with...

There's a line of these Thousands of Lapsed fans out in the Borough. For me, it's a Myth: we dont have them anymore. We have certain people who will come along for 1 off games every few years if the feeling takes them; but they're not lapsed fans. They're not fans of ours to start with...

There is hopefully still a couple of thousand latics fans that we can entice back that have dissapeared since the Shez/Ronnie Moore days. Its going to take more than a decent run in the league and a top 10 finish though

There is hopefully still a couple of thousand latics fans that we can entice back that have dissapeared since the Shez/Ronnie Moore days. Its going to take more than a decent run in the league and a top 10 finish though

Hopefully so.

I'm just not sure they exist anymore.

After 13 games unbeaten, with a fair chunk of those draws, it was never going to entice these mystery lapsed fans back for that reason alone.

It's still such a fecking useless letter, a real cluster:censored: of a PR exercise, even re-visiting now...

I know for the Liverpool game, several people from work came. Their teams range from City, United, Chelsea, Spurs and a Rugby League Leeds Rhino's fan. None have been back since. All came because they fancied going to a big fixture with Oldham Supporting mates or relatives.

This is the concern I have - so basically there's no point in worrying about attendances, because I'm not sure there's masses the club can do.

That said, 20 years ago we were regularly getting 10,000ish more than we are doing now - they can't have all vanished can they?? Some, understandably, don't come along because of other commitments. Some, understandably, don't come along because of prices...and some might have just buggered off to City or United or kicked the bucket. But there must be a proportion of the missing 10,000, who once felt enough enthusiasm for Latics to go every week, still knocking around Oldham somewhere, surely?

But I don't think these are a section of potential support we should spend too much time being concerned about. If people don't want to attend, we can't emotionally blackmail them into it. We've just got to try and exist within our means.

Edited by JoeP

I think there will be quite a few people 'drift back' once the new stand is up and running. The Lookers stand has been badly missed so the provision of decent facilities in the new stand will at least coax some of the 'lapsed' fans back - me and my son being two of them. We stopped going after the Lookers went and to be honest, whilst it sometimes hurts not to be there, we both haven't missed it that much due to the lack of facilities, matchday experience and home form generally. As Mr Corney will understand as a successful business man you need to provide the 'punters' will a product you can sell to them - and recently OAFC hasn't been that attractive as a package. Anyway hopefully onward and upward now with the future a lot brighter.

With a sustained run into the play off births allied with a good cup run against some quality teams, we have a possibility of raising the crowd by 800 this season towards the latter end.

During the season prior to promotion to Division one we only started to see an increase in the league crowd after the Arsenal victory in the cup. Of course that season saw many heroic victories against much higher sides with style and entertainment. We fell short of promotion due to fixture pile up at the end, however the season after the crowd came back. The rest of the pinch me era is history as they say.

Undoubtedly the club has been well run by Corney and is now on the up because we have an excellent manager in Lee Johnson. Numbers will increase if the standard of football is maintained and when the new stand is opened. The future is bright!

The future could however change overnight. We could lose Lee Johnson. We could have to sell players and have difficulty replacing them. The new stand might not be finished this year. There might be another recession caused by uncertainty over Europe or a change of government.

I suspect the frustration is with Financial Fair Play. We are doing so well with our low attendances and just another 500 would make so much difference. It could be that SportsDirect.com only start paying when the new stand/retail unit is opened so there is a gap to be plugged.

Swindon will have a budget based on last year and will have to sell or loan out players simply to balance their FFP or face sanctions - the unexpected drop of 15% in attendance is a body blow for them. Fortunately we are not in that position.

You have also to factor in the quality of the opposition we play. Promotion would bring more people in. Playing in the Prem would more than double attendance but we are in League 1.

Finally everyone has to realise that our society has changed with more people doing less. Pubs are closing as it is so much cheaper to drink at home. Football grounds are emptying because you can watch games on the tv almost 24/7 and most are of a higher standard and take less commitment and money than buying a season ticket at Latics.

Why do I keep going? It could be that the good times are so much better when the bad is really bad. It could be the enjoyment I had when I started taking my young son all those years ago when Royle did the miracle. All I know is that it is now in my Southern blood!

This is the concern I have - so basically there's no point in worrying about attendances, because I'm not sure there's masses the club can do.

That said, 20 years ago we were regularly getting 10,000ish more than we are doing now - they can't have all vanished can they?? Some, understandably, don't come along because of other commitments. Some, understandably, don't come along because of prices...and some might have just buggered off to City or United or kicked the bucket. But there must be a proportion of the missing 10,000, who once felt enough enthusiasm for Latics to go every week, still knocking around Oldham somewhere, surely?

But I don't think these are a section of potential support we should spend too much time being concerned about. If people don't want to attend, we can't emotionally blackmail them into it. We've just got to try and exist within our means.

25% have probably died out and we haven't recruited quick enough through the other end due to the dross served up during the last 20 years