The straw that broke the camels back?

So we have been embarrassed on national TV, not only beaten, but completely humiliated for over an hour. I don't think there is one of us that will go in work tommorro and not get an earful of stick off our co workers.

Has there ever been a more embarrassing time to be a latics fan?

For the not so hard core it's easy to see why not going down to bp every sat afternoon is an easy decision. I consider myself the hardest of the hard core over the years. Yet I'm struggling to think of one good reason why I should carry on going other than "it's what I've always done".

I will never stop going. But the question is there can't be that many more mugs like me who will blindly tip up at 5 to 3 every other week just because it's what we do. If this carries on as it is home crowds will be sub 2000 before the end of the season. And you can't blame anyone for staying away.

I've reached the point now where I really would take any other option other than maintaining the status quo. There is literally no ray of light at the end of the tunnel and I cannot see any positive way out under the current regime. You turn up expecting a loss, and an oldham nil scoreline.

By any means possible Corney has to go. I'm past caring about league positions and how we have done so well to maintain our league 1 status in trying circumstances.

Football is about so much more than which league your in. It's about the banter with mates. It's about having pride in your club, and bragging at work about how you beat the league leaders. It's about scoring a goal every now and then. It's about a beer bus to Carlisle when chaddy fell off a bike. It's about singing the names of your stalwart players who have been at the club for years, or who play with their heart on their sleeve.

It shouldn't be talking about hmrc tax bills, winding up orders and transfer embargoes.

Latics - be it through intent or as a result of mismanagement - have lost sight of what football should be about. Not one of us no matter what you say can honestly say we enjoy watching latics anymore. We do it because it's what we do. Until we can say with some conviction that we trully enjoy going to bp again the club is lost. It's a sad time but with each year that passes latics take a step closer to oblivion. And the saddest thing is nobody seems to care.enough to do anything about it

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we have been embarrassed on national TV, not only beaten, but completely humiliated for over an hour. I don't think there is one of us that will go in work tommorro and not get an earful of stick off our co workers.

Has there ever been a more embarrassing time to be a latics fan?

For the not so hard core it's easy to see why not going down to bp every sat afternoon is an easy decision. I consider myself the hardest of the hard core over the years. Yet I'm struggling to think of one good reason why I should carry on going other than "it's what I've always done".

I will never stop going. But the question is there can't be that many more mugs like me who will blindly tip up at 5 to 3 every other week just because it's what we do. If this carries on as it is home crowds will be sub 2000 before the end of the season. And you can't blame anyone for staying away.

I've reached the point now where I really would take any other option other than maintaining the status quo. There is literally no ray of light at the end of the tunnel and I cannot see any positive way out under the current regime. You turn up expecting a loss, and an oldham nil scoreline.

By any means possible Corney has to go. I'm past caring about league positions and how we have done so well to maintain our league 1 status in trying circumstances.

Football is about so much more than which league your in. It's about the banter with mates. It's about having pride in your club, and bragging at work about how you beat the league leaders. It's about scoring a goal every now and then. It's about a beer bus to Carlisle when chaddy fell off a bike. It's about singing the names of your stalwart players who have been at the club for years, or who play with their heart on their sleeve.

It shouldn't be talking about hmrc tax bills, winding up orders and transfer embargoes.

Latics - be it through intent or as a result of mismanagement - have lost sight of what football should be about. Not one of us no matter what you say can honestly say we enjoy watching latics anymore. We do it because it's what we do. Until we can say with some conviction that we trully enjoy going to bp again the club is lost. It's a sad time but with each year that passes latics take a step closer to oblivion. And the saddest thing is nobody seems to care.enough to do anything about it

bang on.

I will never stop going.

By any means possible Corney has to go.

It's one or the other.

If we stand together and no one renews or pays on the gate , we'll go down, probably. And so what?

Corney will take us down anyway.

But it might just devalue the remaining potential assets enough to make him fold and give the club some sort of viability.

It's one or the other.

If we stand together and no one renews or pays on the gate , we'll go down, probably. And so what?

Corney will take us down anyway.

But it might just devalue the remaining potential assets enough to make him fold and give the club some sort of viability.

It's not one or the other. Going to latics is something I choose to do. I do it for me. I'm not about to change that because of what Corney says or does to the club.

The day I stop going is the day Corney has officially ruined the club. It's not a business. It's my club. Not corneys

It's not one or the other. Going to latics is something I choose to do. I do it for me. I'm not about to change that because of what Corney says or does to the club.

The day I stop going is the day Corney has officially ruined the club. It's not a business. It's my club. Not corneys

Fair point.

Well summed up philligi. I too have little interest in what division we are in. I just want a club which I want to be a part of and which I am proud of no matter what level we are playing in. I don't feel that way about the current and its got very little to do with the fact that we are not very good on the pitch.

This is exactly why I am not in the slightest bit concerned about us getting relegated. It might, just might, act as some sort of catalyst. The very slow decline that we are experiencing is killing us as no one really knows it's happening. The people of oldham, most of which have at least a soft spot for oafc, have never had a rally call cos it's never got that bad. It just may need to get worse before it gets better.

It is a new low watermark , even for the last 20 inglorious years.

Played off the park for over an hour .

Rhead won lots of headers , but so what , the problem was the statuesque defence not anticipating this and stopping the second ball , it was pathetic.

Lincolin must have wondered what on earth was going on at the oppostion club when Crofty came on and looked head and shoulders above the outfield players who started , but in a coaching masterclass was only brought on at 3 nil down.

A

Well summed up philligi. I too have little interest in what division we are in. I just want a club which I want to be a part of and which I am proud of no matter what level we are playing in. I don't feel that way about the current and its got very little to do with the fact that we are not very good on the pitch.

This is exactly why I am not in the slightest bit concerned about us getting relegated. It might, just might, act as some sort of catalyst. The very slow decline that we are experiencing is killing us as no one really knows it's happening. The people of oldham, most of which have at least a soft spot for oafc, have never had a rally call cos it's never got that bad. It just may need to get worse before it gets better.

I think last night is solid evidence that, with the current set-up, relegation definitely won't be some sort of catalyst...

Agree but it might be a catalyst for the fans to rally in some sort of way. We have to do something about it rather than moan on message boards but there doesn't seem to be any compulsion to do so whilst the owner continues to do such a fine job in keeping us in this league. Relegation may unify fans. What's the alternative?

Agree but it might be a catalyst for the fans to rally in some sort of way. We have to do something about it rather than moan on message boards but there doesn't seem to be any compulsion to do so whilst the owner continues to do such a fine job in keeping us in this league. Relegation may unify fans. What's the alternative?

Relegation wont. It would lead to more in fighting. Administration might though

The football side of the club is effectively being run as in administration already, hasn't anyone noticed this?

All sellable assets have been sold, any one and anything that shows as being good gets sold......we're already in admin sadly....just not by an independent ground but by the owners.

I think our main problem is we don't know what to do. Not sure about this "it might get worse before it gets better" strategy. Very risky.

It's not a strategy as such it's a realisation that that is what might happen. It comes down to a question of what you want out of your football club. I would have us playing FC Halifax every week if it meant I felt proud of my club and was a part of it. Others disagree and would rather stick with what we have now - the 'look at Stockport' line of argument as so often tabled.

Big dog, I couldn't care less about 'the players' quite frankly. They are a bit part in oafc and lost to Lincoln cos they are a match for our team. That's their level. It's not their fault they are not very good is it.

But I do. Misplaced passes, poor shooting, woeful marking, no desire, no fight, no awareness. I agree that they're not very good but I'm talking about basics - the simple skills that any professional should show. Embarrassing.

Its a business and its Corneys... It never helps to ignore the facts...

Edited by oafc0000

Is the manager losing heart too?

He looked a broken man watching that first 70 minutes, as for his coach you all know what I think of him, we hardly saw his face during the game as it was buried by his clipboard and then he turned to scribbling copious notes at 3-0 down.

In stark contrast we saw a Lincoln management team who played the game to the teams strengths, simple and direct.

No wonder 7,000 turned up, the team scores goals and is entertaining, while our support will drain away on the opposite.

Managers bring in coaches and players to suit their philosophy and this clearly shows with Robinson.

I can't see how this lot can get any better unless there's a complete change in attitude from top to bottom.

Edited by BP1960

Spot on. Great post.