The straw that broke the camels back?

Was it a decision to scrap last years team? Did we really consider many of last years team as worth keeping? Modern football in our league means most clubs have massive release lists at the end of the season-several let over a dozen players go last year.

Your comment:-

The decision to scrap the 2015/16 squad and rebuild from very little because the wages bill could be reduced. I think this is why Sheridan left.

You may think that's why he left but it is just supposition-no fact. Many believe it was because he was offered better money. What is the obsession with him anyway? He left this club in the lurch and has done nothing at Notts County.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This message board is getting hardwork much like watching Latics its getting boring!

every single thread gets hijacked by arguments about the same :censored: and constant name calling because people cant take others opinion on board...

This message board is getting hardwork much like watching Latics its getting boring!

every single thread gets hijacked by arguments about the same :censored: and constant name calling because people cant take others opinion on board...

I'm considering sticking a few on ignore. Not personal, but they're making this forum far more difficult than it needs to be, drowning out people who might have more knowledge with petty arguments and name-calling. It's no longer debate...

One of out biggest problems if relegated is the loss we would make due to a reduced solidarity payment, it's percentage based and as the Premier League TV revenue deals increase so does our payment, it's worked out as a percentage of a third year parachute payment whatever that may be.

Championship teams receive 30 percent

League 1 teams receive 4.5 percent

League 2 teams receive 3 percent

As this payment runs into millions it soon starts costing us a significant amount even at a 1.5 percent difference.

Oh.

Realistically though what situation is the club in financially? Is it a case of things just generally looking grim and working on a low budget for another season, be it in League One or Two, or the danger of possibly folding? (Without a new owner, of course). Can imagine SC is keeping it under wraps but wouldn't mind hearing from others.

Just had a quick look - between 2011 and 2015, there's been 20 relegations from League One. Only three bounced back straight away (Swindon 2011; Scunthorpe 2013; Shrewsbury 2014), Bury took two seasons to get promoted, and Chesterfield and Rochdale took 3. Bristol Rovers, relegated in 2011 didn't get promoted until this summer.

So 13/20 teams who have been relegated (and had at least one season to get promoted back) have failed. Teams like Plymouth, Portsmouth, Tranmere, Carlisle, Orient, Notts County are probably comparable/bigger than us, and are still stuck in there.

Curiously (perhaps), only 2 (Tranmere and Dagenham) are now in non-league, although Bristol Rovers did go down and back up.

If we go down, it's very unlikely that we'd come straight back up, and very much not a guarantee we'd come back up within 5 years. What's more likely, is we become a :censored:, bottom-half League Two team, and instead of playing Walsall and Port Vale every year, with the occasional Bolton/Wigan/Southampton etc, it'd be Yeovil and Hartlepool.

The theory that relegation would spark interest, and a "rebirth," just won't happen.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth they say

What will 240 quid a week get you player wise?

Basically the football league are trying to make out they're making some big effort to help the future of English players and lower league clubs.

I can't see how those figures show that

Edited by mcfluff1985

What will 240 quid a week get you player wise?

Basically the football league are trying to make out they're making some big effort to help the future of English players and lower league clubs.

I can't see how those figures show that

It probably gets you a Reckord or two.

I think Mourinho is just writing NO MORE BLOODY WATER BOTTLES THIS WEEK THANKS MILKMAN.

I would imagine in light of his tax allegations, he's writing a letter to the last remnants of the Estado Novo regime looking for a character reference.

Prepare for a team of kids, SC will love this money-spinner, cheaper wages and we get paid as well.

http://footytweets.com/oldham_athletic/news/372358

Which would be the ultimate irony considering he tried to kill off the youth set up a number of years ago! Only saved by Tony P! Sort of stuff that gets forgotten. Edited by boundaryblue80

• 2 weeks later...

But I do. Misplaced passes, poor shooting, woeful marking, no desire, no fight, no awareness. I agree that they're not very good but I'm talking about basics - the simple skills that any professional should show. Embarrassing.

Seems like SR has finally spotted the bleeding obvious:

'Manager Stephen Robinson was thoroughly disappointed with his players after yesterdays 0-2 defeat to Southend United.

A goal in either half was enough to win the game for Phil Browns Shrimpers and gaffer Robinson gave his views after the game.

He said: "Im very disappointed. There were four or five players who were uncognisable from what we seen on Tuesday night and what we seen on Saturday.

"There seems to be a real fear factor of playing at home and I cant put my finger on it. How can 3,500 fans intimidate players and I thought the crowd were really good today.

"They didnt get on the boys back and I probably would have done. If you cant pass from five yards teach other then you are going to lose football matches.

I dont think the fans put the players under any undue pressure and there is no excuse for not doing the simple basics right."'

Read more at http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/gaffer-disappointed-by-southend-united-defeat-3476639.aspx#sdF8BRO4sARBFCM8.99

Edited by TheBigDog

Seems like SR has finally spotted the bleeding obvious:

'Manager Stephen Robinson was thoroughly disappointed with his players after yesterdays 0-2 defeat to Southend United.

A goal in either half was enough to win the game for Phil Browns Shrimpers and gaffer Robinson gave his views after the game.

He said: "Im very disappointed. There were four or five players who were uncognisable from what we seen on Tuesday night and what we seen on Saturday.

"There seems to be a real fear factor of playing at home and I cant put my finger on it. How can 3,500 fans intimidate players and I thought the crowd were really good today.

"They didnt get on the boys back and I probably would have done. If you cant pass from five yards teach other then you are going to lose football matches.

I dont think the fans put the players under any undue pressure and there is no excuse for not doing the simple basics right."'

Read more at http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/gaffer-disappointed-by-southend-united-defeat-3476639.aspx#sdF8BRO4sARBFCM8.99

At least it's improving, at Lincoln it was 8 or 9 not doing the basics, now it's 4 or 5.