The straw that broke the camels back?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not on that occasion we couldn't. The lad i'm talking about is Oldham born and bred aswel and was at our club at youth level. He travels from Oldham to Barrow and back 5 times a week for training and matches. He also says hardly anybody wants to play for Oldham as we are looked upon as a bit of a joke by many within the game.

Bennett?

He is almost as tall as Rhead BP, but has eaten quite a few less pies. I'm pretty sure you know who i'm talking about though.

Yes I do, got a big strong team at Barrow and some players who will move higher, any team that can bully Eastleigh as they did when I saw them will do well. Barrow definitely have two better strikers than Latics.

Edited by BP1960

Yes I do, got a big strong team at Barrow and some players who will move higher, any team that can bully Eastleigh as they did when I saw them will do well. Barrow definitely have two better strikers than Latics.

I agree, they also have a chairman with ambition who isn't afraid to back his team in the pursuit of sucess.

I agree, they also have a chairman with ambition who isn't afraid to back his team in the pursuit of sucess.

and more than likely has the funds to do so and there in lies the nub of our problems you can have all the ambition you want but if you cant fund it your stuffed ! mossley stalybridge etc all have ambition but guess what they dont have the cash either just like us

and more than likely has the funds to do so and there in lies the nub of our problems you can have all the ambition you want but if you cant fund it your stuffed ! mossley stalybridge etc all have ambition but guess what they dont have the cash either just like us

You do need money at any level. Look at Droylsden, played terrrific football with some players going on into the FL .

The 2008 financial crash did for them as I suspect it did for TTA.

Edited by BP1960

Our chairman has no cash and that is fair enough. He doesn't come accross like he has much ambition either though to be fair.

Can't believe we are having the same discussion AGAIN every season. Its laughable that there are grown ups who still believe in Father Christmas, The Tooth Fairy and a Latics promotion push in League Two.

Can you believe they carried on playing the piano while the Titanic sank? That'd be a few people on here!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Our chairman has no cash and that is fair enough. He doesn't come accross like he has much ambition either though to be fair.

Oh he does. He has ambition of sponsorship deals which will make us competitive higher up this league...but his other face dictates the money goes into finishing the OEC for his two mates!

I'm sure a handful of clubs supporters would rather be in our position all things considered.

Take Bolton for example - I bet some would whilst many/most wouldn't.

Lincoln too - some would swap top of the Conference for bottom of League One with 5 months to stay up as that's where they'd ultimately like to be in 2 years time.

Others would say no thanks as they'd prefer to stick with the position of what looks from the outside like a well run club on the up...

Me - I'd swap positions with Bolton as I think they'll ultimately be fine and get promoted from this league before we do.

I wouldn't swap with Lincoln - I'll take my chances with SC and SR (or A N Other) keeping the team up & the clubs head just above water yet again...

Completely agree, as you rightly point out from both of those teams perspectives. Edited by singe

Did someone above say they would rather be in our position than bolton's? Can't fathom that.

Would I rather be in Lincolns? Yes totally. Better gates, more prospects and winning games. The level matters note! Very simple in my view

Lincoln's gates are lower than ours, only by a little, but lower nonetheless.

It's importantbto note the years of pain they've been through to get there through.

Not sure I'd want that myself.

If they go up, who is to say they won't go straight back down again.

All those saying relegation might not be so badhave a point if we competed, but the chances are we'd do a tranmere or Stockport.

Far more likely, especially if it is a drop every few seasons, is our attendances would be pro-rata to the league we are in, so probably 18th in League 2, 18th in Conf, 18th in Conf North!

I think that's the crux of it really, some clubs see a relegation as an opportunity to go again and make an effort to return where as we would probably cut the cloth accordingly and spend the next 20 years in the bottom third of League 2.

You are right to an extent, but in our case, and many other clubs, the cutting of the cloth would be imposed upon us by the situation. If there is no money, there us no money, be it a poorer or reluctant owner or fan owned.

One of out biggest problems if relegated is the loss we would make due to a reduced solidarity payment, it's percentage based and as the Premier League TV revenue deals increase so does our payment, it's worked out as a percentage of a third year parachute payment whatever that may be.

Championship teams receive 30 percent

League 1 teams receive 4.5 percent

League 2 teams receive 3 percent

As this payment runs into millions it soon starts costing us a significant amount even at a 1.5 percent difference.

Hindsight is a great thing.

We are where we are for three reasons:

1) The lack of desire throughout the club to be anything better than a club that avoids relegation to league 2 each season.

2) The great white elephant North Stand which appears to have drained money out of the football club - it is holding us back rather than taking us forward.

3) The decision to scrap the 2015/16 squad and rebuild from very little because the wages bill could be reduced. I think this is why Sheridan left.

As a consequence Robbo has a group of players who are not good enough and who collectively folded under pressure - it was all too much for them. I have no doubt they were well prepared for the game but unfortunately they lack character and appear too dim to do what they have been told. Where I do criticise Robbo is the players he started and even worse the failure to make earlier changes - standing like a rabbit in the headlights did not help.

There is often more entertainment at half time when the young, or old, come on to play and we seem to be at a tipping point. I go because I have a season ticket but that doesn't help the club because the money I have paid is long gone.

We need a change of ownership.

Edited by Hands on

2) The great white elephant North Stand which appears to have drained money out of the football club - it is holding us back rather than taking us forward.

How many fans do you think would turn up if we didn't have this 'great white elephant North Stand'? I'd bet it'd be nearer 2500.

That's not to say it's made a massive financial benefit to us as yet, but after sitting in a three sided ground for 6 years I'd love to know how you can contrive it to be 'useless'.

Another reason for reduced revenue would be the fall on away fans attending games at BP basing these losses on an average away followings from last season League 1 home teams saw on average of 688 fans as opposed to 473 in League 2, that's a difference of 200 on each home gate for starters and it could be worse with the spread of clubs in League 2 being far more widespread and far flung, using these figures it amounts to around 100k alone on ticket sales and thats before you even consider any other lost takings as a result of this.