The straw that broke the camels back?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure a handful of clubs supporters would rather be in our position all things considered.

Take Bolton for example - I bet some would whilst many/most wouldn't.

Lincoln too - some would swap top of the Conference for bottom of League One with 5 months to stay up as that's where they'd ultimately like to be in 2 years time.

Others would say no thanks as they'd prefer to stick with the position of what looks from the outside like a well run club on the up...

Me - I'd swap positions with Bolton as I think they'll ultimately be fine and get promoted from this league before we do.

I wouldn't swap with Lincoln - I'll take my chances with SC and SR (or A N Other) keeping the team up & the clubs head just above water yet again...

Edited by HarryBosch

But surely you'd rather we were in as high a division as possible? Especially for the fun that would be involved in getting to it?

I enjoyed the Bobby Johnstone and Alan Groves times just as much as the Big Joe years. I am truly not enjoying these days.

If someone says I'd rather be in your position. Then them rather being in our position is a fact. You don't do your name justice

Jesus this is getting embarrassing now for you, ill leave it there, facts are facts based on evidence, in which you have none, that's how it works. But this is getting off topic now, sorry everyone!

I'm sure a handful of clubs supporters would rather be in our position all things considered.

Take Bolton for example - I bet some would whilst many/most wouldn't.

Lincoln too - some would swap top of the Conference for bottom of League One with 5 months to stay up as that's where they'd ultimately like to be in 2 years time.

Others would say no thanks as they'd prefer to stick with the position of what looks from the outside like a well run club on the up...

Me - I'd swap positions with Bolton as I think they'll ultimately be fine and get promoted from this league before we do.

I wouldn't swap with Lincoln - I'll take my chances with SC and SR (or A N Other) keeping the team up & the clubs head just above water yet again...

Disagree from personal experience having watched non-league for a few seasons. I'm sure even Eastleigh wouldn't mind being in the Champions League, so yes, anyone from any team would rather to be in a higher position but without context that argument is meaningless.

Look around: do you think anyone is genuinely happy with the position we're in regardless of what league we're in? I'd rather see Latics have a good run or even have a promotion push in League Two next season than watch this scenario crop up again and again.

Do I want to even contemplate what relegation could do to the club. No

I've always thought relegation wouldn't be as bad for the club as what we imagine, especially considering where we find ourselves now. Probably a good bit of press (any publicity is good publicity), get the fans riled up, hold certain people within the club accountable (finally), new goals to aim for, new teams, etc.

I don't think it'd be the nail in the coffin but it'd definitely be a different Latics than what we're used to.

But surely you'd rather we were in as high a division as possible? Especially for the fun that would be involved in getting to it?

I don't think anyone's having fun right now.

I'd be more likely to go next season if we did get relegated and had a go at coming back up, I'm not sure I have any desire to watch us struggle in the arse end of this division for many more seasons, it would also be an opportunity to visit a few places that I've not been to for a number of years, a good start a rung lower could see crowds rejuvenated and for me going down would be our only hope of reversing our decline, I know that's a contradiction but it's our only real hope presently for success.

This placing of faith in some wholly unforeseeable future sounds to me uncannily like Brexit (only slightly tongue in cheek :lol:).

Statistically, mathematically and logically, relegation would be a disaster. As would 'ousting' Simon Corney or trying to run the club as fans. The whole nation is currently fueled by emotion and we'd have lost the war ten times over if we'd displayed a similar loss of focus in 39 - 45!

Edited by piglinbland

Are you sure it was'nt 3rd Division North?

Yes, you are right, but we probably 4th division standard then as we had to re-apply to stay in the FL to avoid the drop into non league.

Edited by BP1960

This is what I don't understand about Corney last season he brought Shez in backed him with the players needed and we did what looked the impossible at one stage and stayed up.Then he allows Shez to leave and we just roll over and die and now find ourselves in exactly the same position as last year.

It's quite simple really. Corney tries every season to do everything as cheap as possible and only actually puts his hand in his pocket if and when it looks like we are definately going to get relegated without him doing so. Dunne would have stayed regardless of the football, tactics, skill level or know how if he had managed to keep us around 18th position but with no threat of going down. I have been told this by a player Dunne tried to sign before he got the boot who plays for Barrow. That said player was not willing to take a 40% pay cut from what he is paid at Barrow to come and play for us.

It's quite simple really. Corney tries every season to do everything as cheap as possible and only actually puts his hand in his pocket if and when it looks like we are definately going to get relegated without him doing so. Dunne would have stayed regardless of the football, tactics, skill level or know how if he had managed to keep us around 18th position but with no threat of going down. I have been told this by a player Dunne tried to sign before he got the boot who plays for Barrow. That said player was not willing to take a 40% pay cut from what he is paid at Barrow to come and play for us.

Surely we can match the best of Conference wages?

Guest nonaenever

All interesting stuff - the opinions on relegation, would it be good, bad etc.

Personally, would not want to see it.

However​, there can be no doubt we are currently a "division 3" outfit with commensurate wages being paid to players etc. but ​with a "division 4" level of income - in the absence of other investment, the inevitable situation is that the club will eventually end up at the level it can financially maintain.

Whether it would then be stability and building upwards - I have no crystal ball and it's a scary prospect dropping down to the lowest professional division.

Surely we can match the best of Conference wages?

Not on that occasion we couldn't. The lad i'm talking about is Oldham born and bred aswel and was at our club at youth level. He travels from Oldham to Barrow and back 5 times a week for training and matches. He also says hardly anybody wants to play for Oldham as we are looked upon as a bit of a joke by many within the game. Edited by oafc1000

I dont post on here but I read the forum. I have supported this club since 1976, this is a dying club.

Has anybody thought of doing a FC United. A breakaway club owned by the fans who all put money into it i.e £5 pw, imagine 5000 oldham fans doing that.

we could rent/ share a ground and all have a say and vote on what happens.

Im no business man but this is possible surely. Figures are just off the top of my head but I wonder if someone was serious enough could this happen.

Dont shoot me just sick to death of years of excuses.

I don't post much on here either, but I've seen and heard some ludicrous suggestions lately. What would this achieve? We still have a league 1 club to follow. As odd as the fellow on the BBC Manc the other day suggesting we 'do a Chester'. Can't just fold the club and start again cos it isn't going how the fans would like it.

A fan run club would be great, the current club that is, but would we honestly get enough fans willing to put money in every year on top of buying season tickets, shirts, travel costs etc. I very much doubt it.

We are falling behind the Conference now, I bet there are teams National League North and South paying better wages than us.

realy as according to some on facache monday night burgess is on £7k a week ? stll laughing at that one

Not on that occasion we couldn't. The lad i'm talking about is Oldham born and bred as well and was at our club at youth level. He travels from Oldham to Barrow and back 5 times a week for training and matches. He also says hardly anybody wants to play for Oldham as we are looked upon as a bit of a joke by many within the game.

Yes, a late developer, almost as big as Matt Rhead too,