The EFL Trophy

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I'd rather we just got promoted and were no longer shit enough to enter it anymore....

You and me both.....  but one step at a time. Many of us despair when seemingly short term decisions are taken that affect our ability to compete in the medium/long term. Maybe we should all do the same in respect of this competition with the medium/long term aim being we are too good to enter it.....!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

So sorry I will go back and delete the s. I don't really care buddy either way. Just trying to make the point that if they did it then can anyone else not do the same ?

Wouldn't argue with opinions. He thinks if someone says they expect something that it means they're  100% definitely guaranteeing that thing will happen

3 hours ago, opinions4u said:

Besides the exceptional circumstances of Man Utd, do you have examples?

I'm guessing that at the very early qualifying stages of the FA Cup entry is optional as long as ground conditions are met.  I don't now at what level it becomes compulsory

1 hour ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Just trying to make the point that if they did it then can anyone else not do the same ?

Only if FIFA and the FA force them into a competition on ther other side of the world at the same time they're meant to be playing in the FA Cup.

4 minutes ago, opinions4u said:

Only if FIFA and the FA force them into a competition on ther other side of the world at the same time they're meant to be playing in the FA Cup.

I'm sure they were dead against it....

7 hours ago, Latics and England said:

My view is that if this is embraced it will lead to the reopening of debates on introducing 'B' teams into the lower leagues which will ultimately seriously damage the integrity of football at our level.  

This would be the obvious next step they'd try and push through, which would ruin our league.

If the current format is as far as it goes then I can cope with us taking the cash.  Shit competition anyway..

3 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

C***s

But its the hard truth, they haven't secured billions of pounds of tv revenue on the back of lower league teams, Championship clubs get around £5 million each, League 1 around £700,000 and League 2 around £325,000 each now thats a significant amount the greedy League hands out that it is under no obligation to do. I'd say its money that keeps the majority of clubs afloat.

6 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

But its the hard truth, they haven't secured billions of pounds of tv revenue on the back of lower league teams, Championship clubs get around £5 million each, League 1 around £700,000 and League 2 around £325,000 each now thats a significant amount the greedy League hands out that it is under no obligation to do. I'd say its money that keeps the majority of clubs afloat.

No.  It's the money that inflates players' wages.

Take in away from every lower league club and instead of having 20 full time professionals averaging £80k a year the poor lambs would earn £65k a year instead.

1 hour ago, opinions4u said:

No.  It's the money that inflates players' wages.

Take in away from every lower league club and instead of having 20 full time professionals averaging £80k a year the poor lambs would earn £65k a year instead.

Taking it away would have dire consequences especially for a club like ours who simply couldn't operate without it, we are no different from the majority of lower league clubs and I'd suggest biting off the hand that feeds you as many are advocating would be foolish, we don't really have much to barter with and at the level we play at we get our 1.5% plus any other crumbs via the Checkatrade that we can get, money from the 'greedy league' in one form or another makes up a good percentage of our income it's money that keeps us in business. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Taking it away would have dire consequences especially for a club like ours who simply couldn't operate without it, we are no different from the majority of lower league clubs and I'd suggest biting off the hand that feeds you as many are advocating would be foolish, we don't really have much to barter with and at the level we play at we get our 1.5% plus any other crumbs via the Checkatrade that we can get, money from the 'greedy league' in one form or another makes up a good percentage of our income it's money that keeps us in business. 

If income drops by £325k and expenditure drops by £325k and footballers are still earning shedloads, why does the money matter?  Our average player wage would still be more than 95% of supporters earn.

Lower league football survived as a professional sport before the TV and sponsor money came along.  Just about all the extra money ends up in the pockets of players.

2 minutes ago, opinions4u said:

If income drops by £325k and expenditure drops by £325k and footballers are still earning shedloads, why does the money matter?  Our average player wage would still be more than 95% of supporters earn.

Lower league football survived as a professional sport before the TV and sponsor money came along.  Just about all the extra money ends up in the pockets of players.

In principle I agree but the issue is much bigger than this. You are absolutely right that a reduction in income across the division should simply result in an equivalent reduction in expenditure and therefore should have no impact. This assumes a perfect market, though, and ignores the number of clubs being bankrolled. Plenty of owners would simply increase their personal investment and create further inequality.

This is where the argument differs from additional money (eg. increased prize money from the Checkatrade). If you were to increase revenues, that would be likely to lead to increased budgets across the board as the wealthy owners would not cut their investment in line with the extra inflows.

The biggest issue caused by the swathes of cash splashing around the Premier League is that it has led to an increased number of owners (not just foreign owners but I accept they probably make up the majority) who are ploughing funds into lower league clubs in an attempt to enter the 'land of plenty'. This has a two-fold effect of creating huge inequality in the lower leagues and leaving these' fortunate' clubs open to financial disaster if and when the owner gives up on their dream. Whilst there has always been such equality it is on a completely different scale now. Prior to the top flight having such wealth, you would get your Dave Whelans and Jack Walkers who would put in relative fortunes but they were doing so because they wanted success for the club that they supported, not because they saw it as a long term investment scheme. This restricted both the level of that investment and the number of people prepared to do it. Today, putting tens of millions in to a club you have no affinity to makes sense to may with the potential returns in the hundreds of millions.

This is what I see as the genuine 'trickle down effect' and I don't know how it can be addressed whilst there are multi billion pound TV contracts being handed out like confetti. Whether this is what the chairman of Accrington was trying to convey or whether he was simply moaning that he doesn't get given more of the money I really don't know.