The EFL Trophy

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The prize money for this competition has mproved qute a bit. I still think key players shouldn't be risked, but £20000 isn't to be sniffed at in the next round, then it's £40000 at stake in the round after. So if Carlisle win the next two rounds they will have picked up £90000. Win the final and they will have £290000 plus TV money from the final, and gate money from the later rounds.

Edited by al_bro

Even though a win in the next round would pay the wages for a week? For me we should field our strongest team from now, why go into a match setting up to fail? Carlisle don't seem to be minding playing every few days and are now unbeaten in 90 minutes for over 20 games.

Agree totally. We're so fragile when it comes to form and confidence we need to be trying our best to win every game. So unless people are carrying knocks I don't think we should be resting our best players just for the sake of it.

We could pay any shortfall in funding this season by winning in the next round in the FA cup we get £25k for winning in that we also get potentially a far better day out and would be far more exciting than getting anywhere in what is essentially a reserve league.

Concentrate on the league and the FA cup that's what's going to put bums on seat's and money coming through team door. Plus it's alot more exciting.

£20k for winning the tie and no overheads as it's a guaranteed away fixture, we'd may also be in line for a slither of gate receipts, it's hardly life changing amounts but for winning one game it would take care of around one percent of our running costs for the year with a decent opportunity to earn at least double even in the next round. We shouldn't be picking and choosing when to win it just creates a negative mindset which gives players an excuse before they start.

£20k for winning the tie and no overheads as it's a guaranteed away fixture, we'd may also be in line for a slither of gate receipts, it's hardly life changing amounts but for winning one game it would take care of around one percent of our running costs for the year with a decent opportunity to earn at least double even in the next round. We shouldn't be picking and choosing when to win it just creates a negative mindset which gives players an excuse before they start.

No overheads? The players are walking there then I take it.

:censored:in hell how much for a coach to Rochdale then, think your splitting hairs there.

The players will get thier incentives too no doubt.

And for a game with "no overheads", I'm pretty pissed off both Winchester and Green got injured against Doncaster. We don't want a repeat against Walsall.

We could pay any shortfall in funding this season by winning in the next round in the FA cup we get £25k for winning in that we also get potentially a far better day out and would be far more exciting than getting anywhere in what is essentially a reserve league.

Concentrate on the league and the FA cup that's what's going to put bums on seat's and money coming through team door. Plus it's alot more exciting.

concentrate on winning every game winning is a good habit to get into look at carlisle they have got into the winning habit and they are flying

success breeds success get the right mentality

Edited by peanuts

concentrate on winning every game winning is a good habit to get into look at carlisle they have got into the winning habit and they are flying

success breeds success get the right mentality

I don't give a :censored: about that competition last night's result means nothing to me and let's face it the majority of us as well.

We took what 191 last night? If we play Blackburn in the league next year we woukd take 2000 that shows rather apathy for this competition. Other years I'd probably agree with you but this year sod it climb out the bottom 4 and get in the 3rd Round draw that should be the aim between now and Christmas.

Edited by GlossopLatic

We will play our strongest possible line up in the next round guaranteed.

You think so? Risky strategy to play key players, who could pick up injuries, given the transfer restrictions in place this season.

I can see the money argument, although it's hardly life-changing, but it's not enough for me. The competition is :censored: and should be scrapped and I'd prefer Latics didn't have the distraction or added burden of it.

You think so? Risky strategy to play key players, who could pick up injuries, given the transfer restrictions in place this season.

I can see the money argument, although it's hardly life-changing, but it's not enough for me. The competition is :censored: and should be scrapped and I'd prefer Latics didn't have the distraction or added burden of it.

Don't forget we won without playing what we all believe to be our player of the season in Peter Clarke. We can still win games in this competition without risking our better players. Edited by GlossopLatic

This competition is a disgrace. Fawning over win bonuses is exactly what the League wanted owners and fans to do as the carrot for a :censored:ing awful stick.

The best thing we can do is play the :censored:test side possible, get knocked out and leave it for the u23 teams to play in front of empty grounds and hopefully an empty Wembley.

This competition is a disgrace. Fawning over win bonuses is exactly what the League wanted owners and fans to do as the carrot for a :censored:ing awful stick.

The best thing we can do is play the :censored:test side possible, get knocked out and leave it for the u23 teams to play in front of empty grounds and hopefully an empty Wembley.

Indeed. How underwhelming would it be if our next visit to Wembley is in this cup?

Don't forget we won without playing what we all believe to be our player of the season in Peter Clarke. We can still win games in this competition without risking our better players.

That was based on the idea we would field a full strength team. Also, am I right in thinking the FA can still impose fines for fielding weakened teams in this?

If it was optional, I wonder how many teams would opt-in to this competition.

Absolutely. Sat here thinking the exact same. It was essentially a bribe to make us accept, and so many have now fallen into it. 147 must've been one of the biggest away crowds of the tournament so far, which is certainly nothing to be proud of. The money shouldn't justify the competition.

I've never understood this fawning over visiting Wembley - it's a big concrete structure; the occasion is what makes it special. What occasion would reaching the final of this be? I certainly won't be tarnishing my expectations of seeing Latics play (and hopefully win) there by going in this :censored:ing omnishambles of a tournament.