Opinions on tonight?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna sleep on it Dan, i'll post my more detailed musings tomorrow - but unless Corney loosens the purse strings for a midfielder with a brain and a striker who can hold the ball up as well as score goals we're in big trouble. Walsall were a poor, poor outfit says it all really.

-

First half not too bad mate, decent tempo without looking great, they stood off us and a better team than us would have them off by half time. Saying that they had the chance of the first half. Second half was a major concern. Zero goal threat and no plan b.

Another night at the comedy club.

A textbook execution of the coaching manual and training ground.

1. When the opposition keeper has a very bad first half and is a bundle of nerves , ensure you give him the seconf half off to help him recover. Under no circumstances pepper him with shots .

2. When passing back to the keeper do not have a look if an opposition striker is waiting behind you to pounce.

Gonna sleep on it Dan, i'll post my more detailed musings tomorrow - but unless Corney loosens the purse strings for a midfielder with a brain and a striker who can hold the ball up as well as score goals we're in big trouble. Walsall were a poor, poor outfit says it all really.

-

It always seems to be soft goals too, and our defence switching off, so more shoring up there too?

-

Was gonna post the same, just bounced off slew in particular tonight, no chance for the midfield to join the attack and run past the forwards.

Walsall were very average and should have been put away comfortably.

The decision making on the final pass was poor tonight and tbh we rarely threatened. An inept performance tonight imo.

As just said on other thread would worst thing to try wing backs bring Brown in on the right, 3 cb's byrne moving inside and grounds on the left

Furman sits with m'changama able go forward when get the ball

croft to help brown and pick the pass

simmo just off montano?

Make us more solid at the back and let croft, simspon, m'chanagma and montano win the game for us

Edited by laticdickovarmy

No urgency on the ball. Nobody (except Croft) with any sign of creativity. An excessive number of back passes even before Furman's howler.

Simpson too interested in trying to con a free kick out of the ref when he should be turning the game. If Slew ran 100m in 11 seconds why can't he outpace third division defenders? The pair of them awful at keeping possession.

Montana marginally better than Saturday. Just. One cross. I though our full backs were fine and the two centre backs did their job well.

Other than one obvious howler I thought Cisak had a good game, taking the pressure off the defence by coming for and collecting crosses.

Walsall were poor. But we showed no signs of controlling the game at 1-0. Got what we deserved as a result.

As just said on other thread would worst thing to try wing backs bring Brown in on the right, 3 cb's byrne moving inside and grounds on the left

simmo just off montano?

Far too different for our rigid manager. Dickov has never shown us that he is willing to change much from a 442 4411 formation.

Make us more solid at the back and let croft, simspon, m'chanagma and montano win the game for us

Edited by welshgaz

-

The manager has had 2 seasons to sign these type of players but hasn't done so, preferring lightweights and tip tap players.

He hasn't learned anything, still sticking rigidly to his passing backwards/sideways system which won't bring many goals, and as seen from tonight can lead to conceding goals.

I can't see any improvements from this batch of players.

Edited by BP1960

simmo just off montano?

To be fair the defence wasn't the problem tonight, furmans howler gifted them the goal.

Our problems were further up the pitch and we never got the crisp passing of the first half v sheff wed going. Too many below par performances tonight tbh.

Are say something already you shouldnt go back I know but give it 10 weeks or so we could do a :censored: load worse than have lee and taylor back at the club neither of who have kicked a ball for their new clubs yet

Idea wingbacks be get brown and grounds further forward more options to be fair i wasnt there tonight just looking at comments on here, be there sat

Time will tell but regardless what is said stevenage is massive could be 4pts out 9pts if goes well a poor 1pt from 9pts if lose and been 2 very winnable home games in that run

Just seemed like last season hadn't ended. There were too many minus points to dissect the performance and criticise indivuals but we just looked like we didn't have a clue going forward. I'm going to give it a while before I worry but the early signs aren't good. Could see it coming at 1-0, same old story.

I don't see why Dickov would put 5 at the back when there's no creativity and the problem is goals. The error that Furman makes is something you can't stop from happening, it happens to the best teams.

There needs to be something from the centre of midfield in making chances though, Furman sits and M'Changama seems to spread it wide but there's nobody pushing forward or threading the through balls. Simpson was playing up top for most of the second half and a large chunk of the first and he isn't a good enough finisher consistently to justify his place there. He needs playing further back so that he can link with Furman and Wes, when he comes back from injury, to feed it to the main striker.

Or maybe its worth playing Simpson in the conventional centre-midfield position and playing 2 strikers. Slew and Taylor or Smith.

Byrne has been solid at right back, much better defensively than Lee was, no goals down his side in two league games, yet numerous of you are clamouring for Connor Brown there?

I thought byrne had a good game tonight, tried to get forward when he could and was fairly solid. I thought grounds passing was a bit suspect tonight, along with several others.

Croft is streets ahead of this lot in speed of thought and execution but he can't do it on his own. If we don't get an experienced front man in who can hold the ball up we are going to struggle to make any impact once again. I didn't see anything tonight to suggest that we can be top half, if anything we look more like relegation candidates. Walsall matched us tonight and will definitely be battling for survival come May so form your own conclusions from that!

We are constantly hoofing it up to Simpson at every opportunity and 90% of the time, although he wins nearly every header, we lose possesion....yet we persist with this tactic for the whole game. Tarky and Mvoto are decent players but play as strangers instead of a pairing.

We played like world beaters in pre-season but when it really matters we fall way short.....this is Dickov's third season in charge but the game plan is much the same as the previous two.

I know we're only two games in but we are still so so predictable in our build up and I'm not convinced that anything will change.