Opinions on tonight?

Opinion.. Shower of :censored:e. Two bad sides, pinging it about the pitch like its tennis. Soft goals either side of half time.

Really not happy about this performance, only croft looked capable of anything and even he lost his way 2nd half.

Need a massive improvement against Stevenage, can't play worse i don't think.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why Dickov would put 5 at the back when there's no creativity and the problem is goals. The error that Furman makes is something you can't stop from happening, it happens to the best teams.

There needs to be something from the centre of midfield in making chances though, Furman sits and M'Changama seems to spread it wide but there's nobody pushing forward or threading the through balls. Simpson was playing up top for most of the second half and a large chunk of the first and he isn't a good enough finisher consistently to justify his place there. He needs playing further back so that he can link with Furman and Wes, when he comes back from injury, to feed it to the main striker.

Or maybe its worth playing Simpson in the conventional centre-midfield position and playing 2 strikers. Slew and Taylor or Smith.

He won't change his 'shape', that's what so depressing.

Edited by BP1960

It was looking like a 'It wasn't great, but a win's a win at this stage' until Furman's error.

This concerns me most of all because while we aren't going to be playing our most free-flowing football at this early stage of the season we should be in control of games like this and not praying that an individual error won't happen.

As others have already said, tonight sounds very similar to the home games in the 2nd half of last season.

we'd have got 3 points if furman had looked up, walsall weren't going to score by themselves. thats the problem though, we've dropped 2 points.

stuff to work with though... defence didnt look troubled at all, even tarky was pushing their no.9 around.. croft, furman, simpson, comoros all worked well together, if they can link more with slew, montano then we'll be a threat going forwards.. and for once the subs made us looks stronger I thought, hughes works hard and Taylor put himself about

bring on stevenage!!

Both teams were poor, complete lack of concentration from both teams with numerous passes being misplaced. There keeper gifted us the lead then Furman gifted them a point. We had 60 % of the game and created 2 or 3 good chances max. If we are to finish any where near the top half we need to create a hell of a lot more chances. On a brighter note we looked stronger at the back and should have kept a clean sheet (although Walsall were crap).

we'd have got 3 points if furman had looked up, walsall weren't going to score by themselves. thats the problem though, we've dropped 2 points.

stuff to work with though... defence didnt look troubled at all, even tarky was pushing their no.9 around.. croft, furman, simpson, comoros all worked well together, if they can link more with slew, montano then we'll be a threat going forwards.. and for once the subs made us looks stronger I thought, hughes works hard and Taylor put himself about

bring on stevenage!!

Tarky did ok but he still had his switch off Moment. Luckily mvoto bailed him out.

Walsall played 4-1-4-1 and that man inbetween Defence and Midfield made them very hard to break down. IMO Dickov should of switched the formation to deal with this problem but instead he chose to stick with 4-4-1-1 his reason was probably down to us not having the players which is what worries me

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Thought Walsall were happy to let our back 5 have it as they just hoofed it straight back to them.

On the rare occasions our attacking players did get it down and pass it we looked much better...really think we need a calm player at the back...the two full backs distribution is worrying for me

Gonna be a struggle this season I think

We would of got 1 if their keeper didnt let it slip through him.

All ifs and buts and swings and roundabouts.

No excuses, that was awful. As soon as we scored we should of targeted that keeper with shots and crosses! Instead we stepped off the gas once again.

Only Mvoto comes out with credit tonite, the rest were either average or :censored:e. Dickov needs to sort his tactics out, grow some balls and get a plan B.

Looking at our subs, we must have the weakest squad in the league, that isnt down to money, we are still a defender, CM, winger and striker short.

Obviously we wont sign 4 players now.

People are saying its 2nd game, calm down but thats not the point, its Dickovs 3rd season and we have looked a decent team for about 5 months in total.

no clue whatsoever once past the half way line - 3 or 4 breaks on the walsall defence and not a clue which way to pass it.

constantly wanting to get rid of the ball after 5 seconds of touching it - don't know where Furman sees himself in 5 years time but it aint championship - no forward thinking at all, always sideways or back with him as the goal proves - he lost it within 1 second of the KO through no urgeny or focus, that set the tone for me - and he's our captain.

good as individuals i think but no purpose, intent, agression or forward threat on show at all and that all comes down to the manager.

We need to go at teams in 5/6's when attacking - Walsall should have been bombarded 2nd half with the confidence we should have from being 1 up.

- why do we have this 'oh better not try too much or run forward at teams with the ball from midfield in case we concede'???

Don't think PD has got it in his locker to change things - walsall went 4-5-1 in first half - second half that went 4-3-3.

We either stick another in midfield to ensure we soak things up and hit them on the counter for a second or we go 3 up top and get at there backline.

We have no forward thrust or attacking intent - as good a worker as Wes is, you're not telling me that a team of professional footballers is that badly affected through the non appearance of a bulldog type player as opposed to a creative one?

we are where we are - not very good if being brutally honest - i'm always optimistic but on that showing and the style PD has us playing ala 70 yard conversions from CB to the wing and the general lack of confidence to KEEP THE BALL leaves me very despondent.

2 games in i know and we dont yet know how things are going to pan out - there's being realistivc and wanting the best for the team and wanting it to cut out the errors - take out the Furman error and we were still extremely disjointed........

Good luck PD you're going to need it...............

Furman's instinct always seems to turn or pass the ball backwards or at best sideways - appears to permeate through the back line. Might be a bug bear of mine but if a defender is passing the ball back to Cisak to simply launch, why on earth not play it forward themselves? Might pick out a pass or at least launch it further and not put Cisak under pressure.

Agree that it was a lovely sunset and crescent moon to boot.

Byrne has been solid at right back, much better defensively than Lee was, no goals down his side in two league games, yet numerous of you are clamouring for Connor Brown there?

Spot on for me.

Byrne is doing okay but he is not a centre half, not big enough or fast enough.

We controlled the game (for 75 mins) and at times I thought our passing was excellent.

Sometimes we look like we dont have a clue.

We just press the self distruct button.......... another 10-15 mins and we would have lost.

Guest Scratch2000uk

More of the same from last year, If you think of the players that have gone and the ones that have come in, There's nothing in there to to suggest things could or should get better.

PDs rigid tactics have been rumbled by every club manager in the league, even the poorest teams are getting something.

He needs to do something to surprise the opposition like playing a creative midfielder, a tough centre forward who can hold up the ball and a goal poacher (oh I forgot, he hasn't signed those type of players).

Spot on for me.

Byrne is doing okay but he is not a centre half, not big enough or fast enough.

We controlled the game (for 75 mins) and at times I thought our passing was excellent.

Sometimes we look like we dont have a clue.

We just press the self distruct button.......... another 10-15 mins and we would have lost.

I'm not sure about that. Walsall gave as good as they got, I thought and missed the better chances.

Big Jean Man of the Match. Thought Croft had a few moments, but takes too much time on the ball.

Well, what an exciting match.

C'mon Dickov, when something isn't working, change it. Could do with trying to motivate the players aswell, instead of standing there with arms folded trying to start WW3 with the officials.

Defence actually looked okay tonight, only problem is that whilst Byrne is fine defensively, he hardly brings anything going forward. Noticed in the first half a few times, he received the ball around the halfway line did a sideways pass and then jogged backwards, rather than try to move forward when there was loads of space for him. This left Croft being doubled up on, and having to come inside more to try and get on the ball in a bit of space meaning we had no outlet on the right.

EDIT: Forgot to mention M'voto looked impressive tonight, won just about everything he went for.

Edited by RobOAFC

I'm not sure about that. Walsall gave as good as they got, I thought and missed the better chances.

Big Jean Man of the Match. Thought Croft had a few moments, but takes too much time on the ball.

What's the odds Big Jean will be sold for a paltry fee ?

Felt like a hangover from last season though I don't feel as much affinity with this season's side for some reason.

Thought we did enough to win the game and but for Furman's mistake, we would have. I also thought Tarky did ok today. Not spectacular but solid. Certainly seems like he's been elected whipping boy though - after Furman's cock up, a few fans around me were having a go at Tarky which is bonkers.

Montano showed a few flashes of excellence and some nice footwork but drifted in and out of the game far too much. Hopefully he'll improve with more games.

Simpson I thought was off the pace tonight. His head didn't seem in it which is a worry.

Big Jean or Croft MotM for me.

Edited by bossrocks

From a Main Stand moaner! Would have won the game but for the back pass - neither team looked like scoring. Croft certainly covered some distance but does anyone remember a decent cross. Montano has promise but that is a future thing. Slew has no interest in any sort of contact and injured himself when he finally turned and hit the ball wide of the goal. Simpson was used repeatedly as a target man but as he had no support what was the point. Back 4 OK. Cisak has yet to find the form he had before his injury. M'voto had at least three clubs watching him tonight - god help us if they want him! The team has to grow a backbone and yes one injury has revealed the lack of depth. Two points thrown away. Three points on Saturday a must or this will go from bad to worse.

Wasn't at the game after having my knee injected this afternoon, but from reading comments it sounds like both sides were :censored:e, and it should have been a 0-0 boring kind of game...

The thing that worries me most is that, Dickov being a striker himself, should be able to train and influence strikers to play in the way that he did, nipping round and poaching goals. Instead, he seems incapable of teaching a striker where the net is - either this or he just can't bring in decent forward players.

He seems to have a settled and strong(ish) defence, with Byrne being a good replacement for Lee. However, we have seemed to leak goals, again similar to last season - stupid mistakes, game on game, :censored: at defending set pieces, game on game.

The question is, where do we draw the line?

Dickov is 2 seasons and 2 games in, yet the team or the club doesn't seem to have moved forward in any way - in his three seasons here, we've had pretty much 3 new squads and quite alot of new players, yet he still can't seem to get it right.

Where do we go from here? For now, we push on and hope that there is a plan B somewhere along the line - but, not to be negative, i just can't see it. We had 3 months of quality, exciting football in his first season, but since then, i've seen 5 games maximum where i've seen that quality, it is alarming.

Dickov In, but this really is make or break time for him. I hope he suceeds, but if not, bring back Andy Ritchie :wink: