Newport (H)

7 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

You keep banging this drum endlessly, but I've yet to see you post anything concrete that supports it. Come on, tell us. Is it cast iron fact, or simply your opinion? Because a recent post of yours suggests the latter. 

And this is a thread about the Newport game, but it's degenerated into another Byrne thread. Why do we have to have this in threads that are bugger all to do with Byrne? It's getting way beyond tedious and boring, just going round in circles. 

And, because of that, I apologise for even starting the first paragraph.

It's my opinion. Based on what has happened since May. Others present their opinions as fact all the time, maybe challenge them?

Not sure the Newport game warrants all that much discussion but if you are that unhappy ask the mods nicely and they might shift all non Newport related content to the relevant threads.

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

Oh ffs. Right. Here goes. 

I’ve tried to laugh, i’ve tried to shrug. 

But your both talking absolute bollocks.

Your defending things you know fuck all about out. I think it’s pathetic that you defend people you don’t know, over the club you claim to support. 

Who’s more important, Bryne and Gerrard- or the club??????????????

Maybe the club have shafted Bryne- I don’t care. 

Maybe they have shafted Gerrard- I  don’t care. 

You both know they carry baggage like no else in current squad. That’s not guesswork. That’s a fact- an yet you choose to ignore it for some perverse reason.  

I dont give a toss what they did, who they are, or what the their shoe is, they’re gone. Your campaign to undermine every decision the club makes is a joke.

I think this squad is poor, there’s a few I wish we could replace.  But AL wants to cut his cloth after his mistakes and do you know what, we’re doing ok. Why? Because the nobheads have left the building. An for the first time in long time I feel quite good following latics. Why? Because it’s starting to feel like a community club again, the bad press has stopped and there’s a togetherness. 

What do you want eyres? You want to fixate on players who aren’t here, and belittle the club. You seem intent on spending your days needlessly winding people up about issues you know fuck all about, for what? Amusement? 

Your a sad act. 

Dan Gardner said it could be a blessing in disguise that we were relegated. Personally I'm hating every minute of how shit it is.

Frankie Bunn said he didn't know what to expect in League 2.

The owner has taken a sledgehammer to the wage bill leaving us with the worst squad in my 25+ years of watching.

But yeah everything is great because we beat Morecambe and Byrne and Gerrard are truly the bad guys ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Dan Gardner said it could be a blessing in disguise that we were relegated. Personally I'm hating every minute of how shit it is.

The owner has taken a sledgehammer to the wage bill leaving us with the worst squad in my 25+ years of watching.

But yeah everything is great because we beat Morecambe and Byrne and Gerrard are truly the bad guys ??

And how many games you been to then?

deyres42 - Seen them all but missed one and have to say despite the odd performance I don't have a problem with the level we are operating at and on the whole I am enjoying my Saturday afternoons again.

What I don't understand when reading through all this though is what you are trying to acheive, okay the playing budget needed trimming and AL paid several players quite handsome amounts by our standards and obviously felt let down by them, even you will admit the three ringleaders of the clique Davies, Gerrard and Byrne all have their issues and really didn't put it in at the back end of last season, all in my opinion have given AL good reason to be moved on and two of them were effectively sacked and the other found himself another club. Is it coincidence that these are the big earners or was it felt that these three wielded most influence? Who knows. They are not alone though and others who started taking the piss were McLaughlin, Pringle and to a degree Doyle who also never really lifted a leg on his return to the team.

What was AL supposed to do retain the very players it was obvious had little respect for the club and the vast majority of the ability and hope that they fancied it this season? If they didn't surely we would of been Conference bound?

There's probably some truth in what you say and your opinion on most things is well documented on here but you cannot prove any of your reasoning in the same way some won't agree with mine, I just hope you don't use every match day thread in defeat as an excuse to peddle out your obvious discontent at the way some of our supposedly 'better' players have been treated. 

If you look at a player like Maouche who I suspect 90% of our fans would be happy to see the back of on his reported 4k a week AL hasn't moved him on because he's given him no reason too and you could argue that the other three (and that's just off what we know) did, none appeared to really give a fuck as we slipped out of the division so why do you care so much about them now?

There is no doubt about it that the wage bill from last season was unsustainable and from Queensy to Byrne and everything in between I'm not hugely disappointed that any of them players are not here because it had turned toxic under Wellens.

Something has changed under Bunn, I'm not his biggest fan but appreciate what he's trying to do, there's no doubt this group are in it with us which in itself is a huge turnaround and given time and support we could have a really productive season and start building something for the future, give them a chance, if it all goes up the swanny you can tell us all I told you so but I guess  you know that's not going to happen. 

We've seen some great players leave our club over the years many of whom are worthy of debate who gave their all and respected our club for what it is, the bunch you defend aren't fit to lace many of their boots and I seriously mean that.

Edited by yarddog73

10 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

The games this season have been life draining. 

Compared to the last 2 seasons? Not really.  But if you feel that way, don’t go. Look after your health and stay away. 

Edited by kowenicki

30 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

deyres42 - Seen them all but missed one and have to say despite the odd performance I don't have a problem with the level we are operating at and on the whole I am enjoying my Saturday afternoons again.

What I don't understand when reading through all this though is what you are trying to acheive, okay the playing budget needed trimming and AL paid several players quite handsome amounts by our standards and obviously felt let down by them, even you will admit the three ringleaders of the clique Davies, Gerrard and Byrne all have their issues and really didn't put it in at the back end of last season, all in my opinion have given AL good reason to be moved on and two of them were effectively sacked and the other found himself another club. Is it coincidence that these are the big earners or was it felt that these three wielded most influence? Who knows. They are not alone though and others who started taking the piss were McLaughlin, Pringle and to a degree Doyle who also never really lifted a leg on his return to the team.

What was AL supposed to do retain the very players it was obvious had little respect for the club and the vast majority of the ability and hope that they fancied it this season? If they didn't surely we would of been Conference bound?

There's probably some truth in what you say and your opinion on most things is well documented on here but you cannot prove any of your reasoning in the same way some won't agree with mine, I just hope you don't use every match day thread in defeat as an excuse to peddle out your obvious discontent at the way some of our supposedly 'better' players have been treated. 

If you look at a player like Maouche who I suspect 90% of our fans would be happy to see the back of on his reported 4k a week AL hasn't moved him on because he's given him no reason too and you could argue that the other three (and that's just off what we know) did, none appeared to really give a fuck as we slipped out of the division so why do you care so much about them now?

There is no doubt about it that the wage bill from last season was unsustainable and from Queensy to Byrne and everything in between I'm not hugely disappointed that any of them players are not here because it had turned toxic under Wellens.

Something has changed under Bunn, I'm not his biggest fan but appreciate what he's trying to do, there's no doubt this group are in it with us which in itself is a huge turnaround and given time and support we could have a really productive season and start building something for the future, give them a chance, if it all goes up the swanny you can tell us all I told you so but I guess  you know that's not going to happen. 

We've seen some great players leave our club over the years many of whom are worthy of debate who gave their all and respected our club for what it is, the bunch you defend aren't fit to lace many of their boots and I seriously mean that.

Great post that.

20 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If you look at a player like Maouche who I suspect 90% of our fans would be happy to see the back of on his reported 4k a week AL hasn't moved him on because he's given him no reason too and you could argue that the other three (and that's just off what we know) did, none appeared to really give a fuck as we slipped out of the division so why do you care so much about them?

There is no doubt about it that the wage bill from last season was unsustainable and from Queensy to Byrne and everything in between I'm not hugely disappointed that any of them players are not here because the had turned toxic under Wellens.

Can't disagree with a lot of that, just think it is wrong that only the terrible trio get called out so glad to see you highlight others.

With the owner it almost looks as if we are back to the pre takeover days of just balancing the ins and outs, tarting the place up and stuff is good but slashing the wage bill to the extent he has doesn't fill me with confidence.

Bunn does not inspire me one bit as I have made clear but I guess we have to go with him for now.

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Yeah cos that’s what I said. . ?

You keep suggesting the 3 ex players are getting all the blame. In the interest of consistency - Who here then, who shouldn’t be?  Who’s getting away without being criticised? 

You think Bunn hasn’t got a clue-where should we be with the squad he’s got?

To say Bunn doesn’t know much about league two he’s doing ok. . Maybe he’s a bit more clever with what he says than you think. Wellens sounded a football thesaurus in interviews, but the football was shite. 

When did Gardner say that? Last season? If so, then I agree not something you come out with publicly. But you seem to imply that Gardner isn’t hurting as much as you- what player will ever hurt as much as a fan? 

Being pissed off is fine, I think we all are with certain things. But defending people you don’t know, to beat the club up is just utterly bizarre. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Doyle took the piss....dearly me.

That spell when Wellens came in up until Christmas was the best football I’ve seen Oldham play in many many years. 

I would even say the football at the end of last season was more enjoyable than this season but that’s because I prefer quality over results

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah cos that’s what I said. . ?

You keep suggesting the 3 ex players are getting all the blame. In the interest of consistency - Who here then, who shouldn’t be?  Who’s getting away without being criticised? 

You think Bunn hasn’t got a clue-where should we be with the squad he’s got?

To say Bunn doesn’t know much about league two he’s doing ok. . Maybe he’s a bit more clever with what he says than you think. Wellens sounded a football thesaurus in interviews, but the football was shite. 

When did Gardner say that? Last season? If so, then I agree not something you come out with publicly. But you seem to imply that Gardner isn’t hurting as much as you- what player will ever hurt as much as a fan? 

Being pissed off is fine, I think we all are with certain things. But defending people you don’t know, to beat the club up is just utterly bizarre. 

I believe that any divisions were caused by the owner and his foreigners policy.

I think the fixture list has been kind and the next 2-3 months will prove a better indicator.

The football under Wellens from September-December was as good as I've seen from a Latics side in many years.

Gardner quote is from Chron article this week.

17 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I believe that any divisions were caused by the owner and his foreigners policy.

I think the fixture list has been kind and the next 2-3 months will prove a better indicator.

The football under Wellens from September-December was as good as I've seen from a Latics side in many years.

Portsmouth Away was the best performance I’ve seen for a long long time...

31 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Doyle took the piss....dearly me.

That spell when Wellens came in up until Christmas was the best football I’ve seen Oldham play in many many years. 

I would even say the football at the end of last season was more enjoyable than this season but that’s because I prefer quality over results

Yep - from those last 7 games Gills and Wimbledon away were good contests, as was Northampton (albeit disappointing outcome!). Donny was too nervy to enjoy, Southend was awful, and I couldn't make Dale or Walsall.

Compare that to the games I've seen this season: MK Dons (ok at best), FGR (poor), Crawley (ok) and Newport (ok in patches) - definitely more quality in the L1 run in.

3 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Yep - from those last 7 games Gills and Wimbledon away were good contests, as was Northampton (albeit disappointing outcome!). Donny was too nervy to enjoy, Southend was awful, and I couldn't make Dale or Walsall.

Compare that to the games I've seen this season: MK Dons (ok at best), FGR (poor), Crawley (ok) and Newport (ok in patches) - definitely more quality in the L1 run in.

More quality, but less application?

17 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

You ask for consistency and balance, but don’t offer the same.  That reply is so one eyed. 

Was the owner to blame in part? Yes. The only reason? No chance. 

The fixture list has been kind, but so what? It only means something if you expect us to romp the league this season. I don’t. If we finish mid table this year- which we will. Then we can a have go next year. (I’ll give AL a season to get costs under control, if the squad is this thin again next season- I’ll have more serious concerns) 

Wellens played the best football from September to December- fuck me that’s generous. We played really well for the first six games. Then faded badly. Really badly.  Wellens was also absolutey desperate to take the job under AL. He’d already seen shez go, so he came in with his eyes wide open. He had a squad full of quality, but couldn’t get the best out of them. He brought 8 players of his own in Jan. Some (Benyu) hardly featured. The #frenchlads never played. Doesn’t look like enormous pressure to play certain people to me. Just a poor manager after a honeymoon period. 

Your doing exactly what you claim others do. Exonerating the 3 bad apples of anything and blaming AL for everything.  The truth is somewhere in between. When do we give AL a break? Never? 

15 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Nobody was as bad post March as Eoin Doyle, yet he is still lauded as a saviour...

Ridiculous you can’t say that . He was coming back from a serious medical problem and he never posed a threat with bad attitude problems. In fact he was a model professional like Clarke.