Leon Clarke

thought he was a top player, when he was on loan with us he markedly got fitter with every game, he also seemed to have a big heart as opposed to the player he was covering for - porter. also his attitude on his return with southend showed all at b.p. an emmense amount of respect. outside of our current front 2 who do we have 2 kids in wolfy (will he be ever good enough?) and deano, if we want to push for play-offs we need players like him asap

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That seems to be the battle ahead

Oh Dear !

Sport5FRI3003.jpg

Some players are simply bulky and trying to trim them down has a negative impact on their play. Take Hartson for instance; always a fatty but when in his prime his was successful. If Clarke was unfit at Southend and still scored goals and was their top scorer then I'd hate to see him if he did get fit. Seven goals or 1 goal in every 2 games isn't bad.

Probably he was sidetracked at Southend when he realised that other clubs was interested in him?

He's reaction when he scored against us shows that he has respect for us and perhaps fondness of his time here. He knows Davies from his time at Wolves (and played well together when they we're fielded in the same team) and the possibility of playing alongside Hughes is a major factor too. Remember this lad grew up in and around the Black Country when Hughes was plying his trade at the top - who better to continue to learn from (echoing the statement made by Davies)?

I actually never saw Clarke play for Latics as I managed to miss each one he played in last year due to work.. so I'm not really in the 'sign him up' camp or otherwise.

Though I do have to say if we sign Keigan Parker I'd be bloody annoyed; he is possibly the worst player I've ever heard about for turning up late for training, drink driving, turning up at 3am at 'massage parlours' to 'ring a taxi'.. etc. The list of misdemeanors during his time at the Lashers is as long as your arm, I got sick of reading about him in the awful Blackpool rag.

Jeeesus. Parker? I wouldn't have it. Possibly have a whip round for Gregan to snap the little git.

Keep the Faith

The Clarke move if it comes off would be excellent for us. Even a semi-fit version of him last season bagged goals for us and his hold up play was still pretty decent. And I think we're lacking a physical frontman now too, as in the air other than Trotters we just have very little threat.

I don't see what everyone else does in Parker. Last season I'm putting down to a one-season-wonder, but I've seen him play for Blackpool 4 or 5 seasons now and he's never struck me as all that dangerous previously. Lots of baggage with him as well by the sounds of it.

The Clarke move if it comes off would be excellent for us. Even a semi-fit version of him last season bagged goals for us and his hold up play was still pretty decent. And I think we're lacking a physical frontman now too, as in the air other than Trotters we just have very little threat.

I don't see what everyone else does in Parker. Last season I'm putting down to a one-season-wonder, but I've seen him play for Blackpool 4 or 5 seasons now and he's never struck me as all that dangerous previously. Lots of baggage with him as well by the sounds of it.

I remember him saying after the playoff altercation with Gregan that he was probably upset because his career was on the way up and Gregans was in decline, at least Greagan was a premiership player and wasn't warming the bench of a lower end championship team in his mid 20's. The guy is obviously dense and I want him nowhere near BP, anyone who sells their story about bedding Jade Goody has to be thick and yes Keigan she is minging.

Guest oa_exile

His hold up play and goals are his strong points BUT your post falls down with the "In the air" as the lad cant jump !

Seems alot of if we get him fit/in trim posts. That's why I am a little indifferent about Leon. Especially if it takes a big fee to get him here. That said, he'd probably do a good job for us with the right handling from Shez. He offers us something different than what we have.

Guest oa_exile
Seems alot of if we get him fit/in trim posts. That's why I am a little indifferent about Leon. Especially if it takes a big fee to get him here. That said, he'd probably do a good job for us with the right handling from Shez. He offers us something different than what we have.

Agree Lags , i also feel a "should we or not" , especially as we are paying a fee.

Shez see's something in Clarke , he wanted him back for a second loan spell so Shez know's the lad as in attitude , etc.

He did well for us first time around and he has done well at Southend.

All i can say is Shez know's the score with him , he is the Manager and i am sure he would not throw money at it.

i wanted him here in the summer,yeah we didnt see the best he had to offer,but we very rarley do on month loans,but he has great potential.

just think they need to work on his fitness a little and get him trimmer,then he could be a very good player for us.

he isnt the fastest striker out there,but he does get into some great positions.

A few of factors to consider......

1 - He is much fitter than when he was here (and lets be honest he did a good job)

2 - A fit Leon Clarke has scored lots of goals at Southend, and confidence will be high

3 - He will give us options, Davies can very easilly go on the right

4 - I have herd that Hughes could need another op, so will give us options.

5 - Has he played with Davies at Wolves???

All in all I think he is a power house with more plusses than negatives. Just think we need a creative midfielder and hope we dont blow the budget we have???

I doubt Leon is ever going to win Slimmer of the Month, but a settled regime could certainly help him trim down - Gregan managed it the wrong side of 30, how's that for inspiration? I am still a bit concerned that we would pay £200k for a player who made a big money move for £300k for the Championship but looks to be settling back at our level, it just seems a bit steep.

Guest oa_exile
I doubt Leon is ever going to win Slimmer of the Month, but a settled regime could certainly help him trim down - Gregan managed it the wrong side of 30, how's that for inspiration? I am still a bit concerned that we would pay £200k for a player who made a big money move for £300k for the Championship but looks to be settling back at our level, it just seems a bit steep.

I would think LL the transfer and wage structure would be on the same lines as the KK deal offered.

£100K - £125K + wages £3K - £3.5K @week ??

I would think LL the transfer and wage structure would be on the same lines as the KK deal offered.

£100K - £125K + wages £3K - £3.5K @week ??

From todays Chron!!!

Latics line up Clarke swoop

Leon Clarke

by TONY BUGBY

SHEFFIELD Wednesday’s Leon Clarke is the striker wanted by Athletic to provide extra firepower for their promotion push in Coca-Cola League One.

Athletic have confirmed that Clarke (pictured), who had a successful loan spell at Boundary Park last season, is the front player they are pursuing.

But the club is unhappy that a local radio station in Sheffield reported that Athletic’s bid for Clarke has been accepted and a move hinges on him agreeing personal terms.

Alan Hardy, Athletic’s chief executive, said: “I am disappointed news has leaked out as we try to keep negotiations for players private until terms have been agreed.

“We have spoken to Sheffield Wednesday and they have given us permission to speak to the player which we have done, and we are waiting for an answer from him.”

Clarke had been expected to conclude a £200,000 move to Coca-Cola League One rivals Southend United after a loan spell only for that to collapse due to contractual issues.

The 22-year-old had scored seven times for the Shrimpers during his three-month loan in addition to one goal for Wednesday early in the campaign.

Clarke kicked off his career at Wolves and was transferred to Wednesday last January for an undisclosed sum. Only one month later he was surprisingly loaned to Athletic, for whom he scored three goals in five league appearances.

Athletic have been dealt a new injury blow with defender John Thompson damaging knee ligaments in yesterday’s 2-1 reserve-team defeat at Stoke.

The injury to Thompson’s knee was being assessed today, but it looks as though the former Nottingham Forest player faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

But there is some cheer on the injury front with Chris Taylor’s hamstring injury responding well to treatment and he could be back at Yeovil on Saturday week.

Andy Liddell had his Achilles tendon operation on Monday and the surgeon was delighted with how it went.

Sean Gregan in back in rehab after also undergoing surgery on a long-standing Achilles problem.

Athletic reserves took the lead at Stoke through a Lewis Alessandra goal only for Stoke to hit back with strikes from Vincent Pericard and Lewis Buxton.

Guest oa_exile
I think £200k seems overpriced when there are still a few question marks about him

Wednesday paid £300k. Hasn't quite cut it at that level. Has scored goals at this level.

£200k seems about right although I hope we pay less.

Oh dear , Thats the Everton money gone in one swoop ! , i still think we can do better in the transfer window by paying nothing but signing on fee + wages.

I really do think people need to stop worrying about money.....

We all know that we are still in a postion where we are loseing money on a weekly basis but these costs have been massivly reducued by the 3as and are even looking into developing a 80 million pound stadium. I think there track record on handling the clubs finances has been brillant.

If Shez thinks a player is good enough for the price tag and the 3As are happy to spend that level of money beacues they belive we can afford it then as a group of supporters I doubt think we need to get eat up over it. The 3As are not Chris Moores. We learnt leassons from the Chris Moores era and I think the memory of this is making people worried about spending money on players. There is a different from making thought out purchases than what Moores did which was blindly throw his/our cash around.

People have said KK wasnt worth the money, and now saying the same about Clarke.... I am dead certain this due to peoples worries about returning to the moores days/wasting money... But I am certain the 3As would never walk that path.....

Edited by oafc0000

Oh dear , Thats the Everton money gone in one swoop ! , i still think we can do better in the transfer window by paying nothing but signing on fee + wages.

I wouldn't argue with that. In fact I think we should be going no where near him at those prices. (wages £3k-£3.5k is £1.5k to £2k too much), and anything above a token price is too much*.

Not saying he's a bad player, but we can get the same/better for much less.

*This could be tinted by the fact that all I saw was a fat bloke on a pitch who knocked in a few goals (a sitter, a penalty and I'm still not sure what happened in the Donny game). This followed on by the fact he looked no better at Southend a couple of weeks ago (open goal, etc.).

I wouldn't argue with that. In fact I think we should be going no where near him at those prices. (wages £3k-£3.5k is £1.5k to £2k too much), and anything above a token price is too much*.

*This could be tinted by the fact that all I saw was a fat bloke on a pitch who knocked in a few goals (a sitter, a penalty and I'm still not sure what happened in the Donny game). This followed on by the fact he looked no better at Southend a couple of weeks ago (open goal, etc.).

He did look good against us though at BP...................................................

shez wont bring anybody in who we cant sell on for a profit,barring a couple of players already here.

our finances are so much better organised now because first and foremost tts'a are highly successful buisnesmen.

shez wont bring anybody in who we cant sell on for a profit,barring a couple of players already here.

our finances are so much better organised now because first and foremost tts'a are highly successful buisnesmen.

Totally agree.....give the 3As more credit....they know what we can and cant afford....

We invested in Porter with the same idea....knowing we would make money.....we was unlucky with the way things panned out....

Guest oa_exile
I really do think people need to stop worrying about money.....

We all know that we are still in a postion where we are loseing money on a weekly basis but these costs have been massivly reducued by the 3as and are even looking into developing a 80 million pound stadium. I think there track record on handling the clubs finances has been brillant.

If Shez thinks a player is good enough for the price tag and the 3As are happy to spend that level of money beacues they belive we can afford it then as a group of supporters I doubt think we need to get eat up over it. The 3As are not Chris Moores. We learnt leassons from the Chris Moores era and I think the memory of this is making people worried about spending money on players. There is a different from making thought out purchases than what Moores did which was blindly throw his/our cash around.

People have said KK wasnt worth the money, and now saying the same about Clarke.... I am dead certain this due to peoples worries about returning to the moores days/wasting money... But I am certain the 3As would never walk that path.....

I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from BUT

i still think we can do better in the transfer window by paying nothing but signing on fee + wages.

Since we now have approval on the planning permission it should still not detract from the fact that the club is losing in upwards of £500K + a year EVERY year.

I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from BUT

Since we now have approval on the planning permission it should still not detract from the fact that the club is losing in upwards of £500K + a year EVERY year.

see, they turned that around quick.

it used to be thousands! :wink:

grrr - not quick enough :lol:

Edited by dfOAFC