Ambition (we may have some after all)

R.O.A.M

OWTB - The Sponsor's Decision  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Should Latics sell Chris Taylor to the Lashers for £250k Plus Scott Vernon?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. As Vernon is available, would you like to see him back playing for Latics?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Including Vernon, what price should we sell at?

• £300k
    • £400k
    • £500k
    • £600k
    • £700k
    • £800k
    • £900k
    • £1m+

The Verndog plus wonga for Taylor?

I would take that offer everyday of the week. In my humble opinion Taylor is the most over-rated player I can remember at BP for many a year, I really don't see why everyone raves about him. Scott on the other hand was a striker showing plenty of promise who had to be used as the lever to get Wellens to BP, and I for one was disappointed to see him leave.

Taxi for Taylor!!!!!

KtF,

Derek.

Something about a shaking dog you said Wilson :wink:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think you were the only one who was disappointed to see Scotty leave. Apparently Tony Philiskirk and Shez were fuming too - saw it as Ronnie Moore stripping the team of its best young assets.

Not surprised that Shez is interested in signing him back - he knows what he's going to get, knows his personality and probably is more willing to spend money on a known quantity than risk what little money we have on a gamble.

ive posted a few already, elding at stockport for one, he has been getting good reviews although he has had his problems i know.

i would love to see clarke but that seems to have gone by the wayside.

i am not saying i am an expert on all the srikers around the league but i just dont see vernon doing it for us. (obviously)

anyway its been a fun hour arguing , back to work , ill be back to disagree some more later :wink:

Vernon is just the sort of player we need. Scores all types of goals, exceptionally good in the air, good neat feet and can hold the ball up. His record for us was very good and Moore only really released him because he never saw him play with him being injured from February onwards. Another point to consider is when caretaker manager during 03-04 Shez got Scot playing the best football of his career to date, including a few absolute belters particularly away at Grimsby and his hat-trick in the return game. Shez was in charge for 13 games. Scott Vernon scored 8 goals. I was chuffed when he signed the 3 year deal in May 2005, after ludicrously being under used by Talbot, then gutted he left two weeks later. IMO Vernon would've scored as many as Porter did last season.

yeah , they both left their clubs for nothing, wellens left us for nothing, and now people are discussing bringing back a player who came through our ranks that we let go and now we should spend some of the money that we need to spend wisely on a player not deemed good enough for us last time out.

'we' let go? ronnie moore let go, 'we' deemed not good enough? ronnie deemed not good enough mate. even ronnie said he didnt want to let scotty go but it was the only way to get wellens, he was probably lying, but that changes nothing. vernon bangs in gols end of. personally prefer clarke but id take vernon no danger.

Edited by daznathe

Tricky one. However, Tayls is what we want, surely. The passion to play for us? He's good, but he needs to make better options, and he's someone I'd like to hang onto.

Vernon has always been 'meh' with me. He scores, but I never held his ability too highly. However, I think he'd get a few goals if he came. Might as well loan him...

Firstly I don't want to see Taylor leave he is still a young player with enormous potential.

I would however have Vernon back tomorrow, at the moment he is just the type of striker we need.

He can hold the ball up and is a proven goalscorer at our level, I would love to see a forward line of Hughes, Davies and Vernon.

I liked Vernon as a player in his previous stint and if we could buy him back I think it would be a great piece of business by the club.

I remember Vernon coming back from his loan spell at the lashers and looking a much better player for it (he could win headers for one). As I cannot suggest any better alternatives to lead our line, I'd have him back but not at the expense of losing Taylor. That would feel like the Wellens deal in reverse!

Assuming that we do sign a player before the end of January, I hope that the club hands them a pretty sturdy tin hat because this board is ready chew up and spit out anyone who doesn't push the right buttons even before they've stepped foot on the pitch!

NO LOANS

Thanks for that brief summary of the current plight of the financial markets...

I have to say... the more I think about it more I would love to see scotty back... evn at the expense of Tayls... purely because of the way sheridan likes to play... if he is going to play without wingers/a system where wingers cut inside then surely Scotty would be more valuable that tayls...

However - in turn playing without wingers is no where near playing to scotty's strengths... but I think a forward three of Hughes, Scotty and davies will be formidable at this level...

have to say, the solution is simply to buy him - woudl love to see him back, I utterly cant believe that people dont rate him, as is often said people seem to watch different games sometimes... he is a big, strong forward plyer, unfairly used as makeweight for Wellens when he should ahve been a prized asset, who scores a goal every 2 games - and has good distribution... honestly, what more do you want...

It would be different if he failed here before - but I think he is the one player I would like to see back at BP more than any other... unfinished business... and, if we were linked with any other player with his record we would all be jumping for joy at the possibility of signing him...

Edited by BigfinLatic

NO LOANS

Im a little hesitant re: loans too. For one we usually end up with kids who are usually a little hit and miss, then Sheridan doesn't really give them games anyway. See Cwyka, Roque, Grabban etc.... Probably why he may be struggling to bring players in. Another reason I don't like loans is that if they work out well, we invariably lose out. KK (to a certain extent) Beckett, (our own doing), Bertrand, Croft, Bruce, Rachubka etc Lets sign players permanently, we lost Blayney, Charlton, Edwards, Rocky, Warne, Porter, Haining, Wellens, Glombard, Roque and a few kids were released too.

We brought in Crossley, Thompson, Hughes, Davies, Allott, JP Kalala and KK, with Bertrand too

So we were 4 players down before a ball was kicked, add to that Gregan, Liddell, Thompson and Pogs have been injured most of the season and the fact we have lost KK and Betrand, you can see why I and others are getting a little agitated. At the moment we have 12 or 13 players, the rest are 18 or under, loanees will only get us to the end of the season. But knowing us we'll sign 'em for a mont, no use to anyone. Why not sign a few quality additions now and build on that in the summer. Insted of the constant wholeale changes we've had every year since 2001. Royle was a master of this, he'd often sign a couple of players around deadlne day. That would mean he'd only need a couple of signings in the summer and we could hit the ground running. Particularly during his later years at the club. (1988, signed Rhodes and Marshall, 1989 signed Andy Holden, Jon Hallworth and Adams on loan, 1990 Redfearn and Moulden, 1991 Gunnar Halle and Paul Kane etc.....)

As for Vernon, he scored 27 goals in 52 starts in all comps. Ok he made a lot of sub appearances but that is a helluva strike rate, better than anyone else that has been mentioned. The lad would probably walk back to BP too, he's three years more experienced, sample promotion (twice - Colchester on loan) and made apperances at a higher level.

Assuming that we do sign a player before the end of January, I hope that the club hands them a pretty sturdy tin hat because this board is ready chew up and spit out anyone who doesn't push the right buttons even before they've stepped foot on the pitch!

Exactly.

Then we have some wondering why we can't get players in! They do talk amongst themselves too, to friends at other clubs, to those with the same agent as them. We'll be getting a reputation for this soon :o

Very true.

A certain Reuben Hazell was deemed "not worthy of a Latics shirt" by many before he came to us. No good at Tranmere, contract terminated at Chesterfield and not wanted by "the lowly" MK Dons. He's now arguably the second best Centre Back at the Club.

well seems like this is a mixed bag of opinions so i think i will add mine...

Taylor ... well the lad is latics through and through, and because of that alone i don't think we should claim any right to his services, and he is destined for a higher level...so it's a case of only let go for the right amount of CASH!!

by that i mean we should not let him go as part of a swap deal because whatever price tag people think he should have on him, he has a very rare (ish) skill in that he can play both left and right wing, so for me he's worth double whatever is on offer....

Vernon.... why not? not a great believer in "it never works out when they come back" rubbish... i can think of a few players I'd have back here in a heartbeat... HILL / ONE SIZE / ARMSTRONG and yes I'd still have to mix Hazell in with them for the team sheet...and not forgetting the youngster who keeps popping up at the far post a la jobson!!

so why not? he seems to be delivering a goal or two when he plays.. he would come here and not be in anyone's shadow (Celtic player?) and having personally met the guy on a club matter (not some xmas doo either!) i can say he is a decent enough guy who seemed to me to want to play for the club and put in as much effort as humanely possible!

give me eleven players that fit that bill anyday!

but at the end of the day...opinions are like ............ well we all have one!

in shez i trust!

His record for us was very good and Moore only really released him because he never saw him play with him being injured from February onwards.

I was chuffed when he signed the 3 year deal in May 2005, after ludicrously being under used by Talbot, then gutted he left two weeks later.

IIRC Moore gave Vernon the 3 year deal with every intention of using him the following season, but once the opportunity to sign Wellens came around and we weren't willing to pay the £100K Vernon was offered instead of the cash.

Also in response to the suggestion of a front 3 of Scotty, Hughesy and Davies I don't think it would happen. We have very rarely moved away from 4-4-2 since Shez took over even when we've had the chance to so there's nothing to suggest that we would do so if Vernon signed for us. 1 of the 3 would drop to the bench IMO.

Guest oa_exile
IIRC Moore gave Vernon the 3 year deal with every intention of using him the following season, but once the opportunity to sign Wellens came around and we weren't willing to pay the £100K Vernon was offered instead of the cash.

Also in response to the suggestion of a front 3 of Scotty, Hughesy and Davies I don't think it would happen. We have very rarely moved away from 4-4-2 since Shez took over even when we've had the chance to so there's nothing to suggest that we would do so if Vernon signed for us. 1 of the 3 would drop to the bench IMO.

Would you not move Davies out onto the wing ?

I know that because of where you live you don't see every game but we have played 433 quite a bit this Season - Hughes and Davies plus either Taylor or Smalley up top.

Since early September, I've been banging on about Davies being moved to the left wing. He scored most of his early season goals from a wide position and it riled me that his was never in a position to make the most of Ricketts' excellent knock downs. A real goal poacher would have had a field day feeding off that quality of ball.

Now that his early Season goal blitz is well and truly over, maybe it is time for Plan B with CD? Alternatively, I maintain that a front 3 of Hughes; Davies and Vernon would be excellent and provide a lot of options to change the formation if required.

TBH, it makes you think back to Vernon and how he played from the bench but weighed in with some goals and now how Wolfy is. For me, it shows how far behind Wolfy is and how badly we need to get him out on loan (once we've cover brought in). As for Vernon coming back....would love to see him back. He'll have improved from the player he was....which was one with bags of potential. Shows he can score at the league above...did do at this level...why wouldn't a team like us be interested. Past player or not. And for those again who say "don't look back"....again....Mark Allott.

Edited by boundaryblue80

And for those again who say "don't look back"....again....Mark Allott.

No disagreeing but trying to think what palyers have come back and how successfull have they been in their second spell at BP?

No disagreeing but trying to think what palyers have come back and how successfull have they been in their second spell at BP?

Some work, some don't. I'd say the ends of the spectrum go from Andy Goram to Neil Adams (just a shame Adams 2nd stint was in a really :censored: team.)

Edited by boundaryblue80