greegan on the mend

Great, can we sell him for £500k as well?

In my opinion he wouldnt get on the bench at the moment, never mind in the team.

He's contracted until the end of next season too :(

Behave yourself, Simon!

With everyone fit, the centre-back spots are between Hazell, Gregan and Stam.

It won't take a fully-fit Gregan long to oust Stam.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Behave yourself, Simon!

With everyone fit, the centre-back spots are between Hazell, Gregan and Stam.

It won't take a fully-fit Gregan long to oust Stam.

i think for us to see the best of taylor on the right he would need to play there for a few games,maybe 4 or so,and i can see a pretty good partnership overlapping with eardly down the right.

i would certainly give lomax a chance at lb,he hasnt done anything wrong since coming in,so he should get games.i would use livermoor as left side of wing.

His flowing locks and champagne moments just don’t make up for his rate of errors for me.

His flowing locks are very nice though :blush:

I agree Stam makes a few errors in games, as does Gregan, but all players do it's just that centre halfs mistakes are remembered though because they often lead to chances for the other team. It's good that we will have 3 (4 when Thompson is back) very good centre halfs all fighting for 2 positions in the team, same in midfield, we have some excellent midfield players all fighting for a chance in the starting 11

Totally and utterly agree mate.

Stam is ALWAYS prone to at least one, or two gaffes a game. Sometimes they amount to nothing, sometimes they result in a goal. He seems to have overcome his injury nightmares these days mind.

I'd certainly have Gregan back. He was just hitting form when he got injured after a sluggish start to the season. He talks and marshalls defence. Stam and Hazell have an adequate partnership (Yes, adequate... and even then Hazell is the better player IMO) going but I think long term Gregan gets his place back. Can't see Shez leaving him out of the side at all.

I used to think that you and LaticNik were barking mad as you both posted negative comments about Stam after a fair few games this season. However, having watched him have a regular run in the team, I would agree that he makes a mistake or two every game. He also seems to get skinned a little bit too often as he can occasionally be the wrong side of a player rather than goal side. He does compare quite well though against some of the other halves we've had and IMO despite the mistakes he's a decent, if unspectacular, league one player. Agree that Greegs would walk back into the team though, ahead of Stam.

He does compare quite well though against some of the other halves we've had and IMO despite the mistakes he's a decent, if unspectacular, league one player. Agree that Greegs would walk back into the team though, ahead of Stam.

Oh I agree entirely. This division is about his level, because any higher and induvidual mistakes usually get punished. He's not a bad defender by any stretch, an ace squad player but worries me a bit if he's in every game.

Oh I agree entirely. This division is about his level, because any higher and induvidual mistakes usually get punished. He's not a bad defender by any stretch, an ace squad player but worries me a bit if he's in every game.

Stam - decent player - ocassionally does get caught out of position and does not posess blistering pace - but he has played well alongside Gregan, alongside Trotman and latterly alongside Hazell - the question for me is who would be the first choice centreback pairing when both Gregan and Thompson are fully fit?

Gregan and Stam for me - Hazell as first choice cover

and finally- To sell Trotman was a mistake in my opinion but then again the way Trotman has been viewed by Shez mystifys me (only brought in when he was absolutely forced to and then to only hand the guy a short term contract :ohno: )

the question for me is who would be the first choice centreback pairing when both Gregan and Thompson are fully fit?

Thompson doesn't even enter the equation for me, some of his early season displays were horrendous.

Unless he was carrying a career threatening injury his performances cannot be excused.

Let's get some of this into context.

Stam is (and probably always will be) prone to the occasional lapse of concentration that often scares the living hell out of me and occasionally leads to a goal conceded. BUT he's still a damn good defender at our level and deserves nothing but praise for his form this season - finally grasping the opportunity to show what he can do in a decent injury free run.

Gregan is a leader on the pitch, and immensely strong player, and very proficient defender who could probably still cope a level higher. Yes he is prone to the odd error himself, he can be a bit too physical and concede silly free kicks, and he's too keen on having running battles with opposition players. But when he's fit we will be a better squad for it.

When Gregan's fit I think he'll get his place back. But it might not be straight away, and it won't automatically be at Stam's expense.

Thompson doesn't even enter the equation for me, some of his early season displays were horrendous.

Unless he was carrying a career threatening injury his performances cannot be excused.

Thompson may end up consigned to the list of latics signings that never made it.

But there's still hope for him.

I remember several years ago, Man Utd paid a then record fee for a defender from Middlesboro. For his first several games he looked absolutely shocking and ManUre fans everywhere were baying for him to be got rid of. Good job United stood by him - the player in question was Gary Pallister.

I'm not suggesting Thompson is a potential Pallister... just that we shouldn't entirely write him off - I've seen him give at least one MoM performance against Oldham.

I'm not suggesting Thompson is a potential Pallister... just that we shouldn't entirely write him off - I've seen him give at least one MoM performance against Oldham.

Thats whats disappointed me about Thompson from what I've seen of him in a Latics shirt as we got him in the face of some competition from other clubs.

I work with a Tranny ST holder who really wanted them to get him and said he really rated him when on loan to them last season.

Maybe he will come back and prove us wrong but what I saw early season was not encouraging.

Stam - decent player - ocassionally does get caught out of position and does not posess blistering pace - but he has played well alongside Gregan, alongside Trotman and latterly alongside Hazell - the question for me is who would be the first choice centreback pairing when both Gregan and Thompson are fully fit?

Gregan and Stam for me - Hazell as first choice cover

and finally- To sell Trotman was a mistake in my opinion but then again the way Trotman has been viewed by Shez mystifys me (only brought in when he was absolutely forced to and then to only hand the guy a short term contract :ohno: )

Hazell as cover?! :wacko: Neither Stam nor Gregan are blessed with pace so apart from anything else Hazell stays in by virtue of that alone.

That apart, Hazell has been virtually foot perfect at CB and formed a fantastic partnership with Greegs before his injury.

Gregan in for Stam for me when he's fit enough.

And I fail to see why Shez' take on Trotman was that surprising. He's a kid who'd barely played any first team footie. Why would he have thrown him into the mix any earlier? Shez went on record late last season/early this saying that he thought Trotters was gonna be an excellent player and would get his opportunity, just not at that precise moment.

I'm sure given the choice Shez would rather have kept him but there was an opportunity on the table to get a good deal for the club, a good deal for Trotters and the opportunity to bring in the likes of Livermore and Jarrett - and still retain the ability to pay the wages of a decent striker when we get one in on loan.

Gregan will not be match fit for weeks. Lets see what happens then. TBH it would be harsh to shange things as I think the defence is ok, but Gregan is quality and he talks, which is something we need with the young players we have. I feel shez will pick him TBH and dont be supprised if Stam ends up at LB.

I agree with garcon here about Stam, he's been a major part in a defence that has been pretty much excellent this season. Lots of people talking as though he is a has been when he clearly isn't.

I'd probably like to see Gregan partnering with Hazell at the back but that isn't going to happen for a good few weeks yet and Stam is more than capable of doing a job.

As for Thompson ship him out as soon as possible!

For me would go straight back in at Centre back.... all this cack about paying him off, people are starting to forget about what this man can do! How fickle some fans can be.... You can hardly blame him to the start of the season we had! The squad is missing big influential players... we need him back!!

I can blame him for the start of the season - how many stupid penalties did he give away? or free kicks for stickin his backside into players. He played a few good games waaaay back (in my opinion) and hasn't done much good since. I'm happy with the back four we have now... I wouldn't let him back. As for being influential... if Shez wanted people to be influential on the pitch then that brings another question as to why Eardley was made captain..... <_<