Latics Greatest Import?

In this month's 442 magazine there is a feature on the 50 top imports in British football, and i was surprised to see that possibly the most obvious Latics candidate, Gunnar Halle, was beaten into the top 100 by such players as John Harkes, Lubomir Moravcik, Russel Latapy (of Falkirk!) and Roy Wegerle. So i ask who you rate as Latics greatest import and whether they should figure in that top 100...

Edited by LaticsChris

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Halle, definitely, but even I'd hesitate at top 100. He was a solid utility player for us, not a matchwinner or trophy winner (although I'd question why Wegerle and Latapy are in that top 100!).

Yep. Has to be Gunnar Halle!

I can't even think who'd come close to Gunnar. Kowenicki I don't remember (too young), Orlygsson wasn't the best we've ever had (although I thought he was alright).

Killen? Nope. Hodgson? Not here long enough. Pedersen? Ditto. Clyde W? Good, but not here long enough to be great.

Aha! One just sprung to mind:

Pogs! He'd be up there close to Halle for me. Quality keeper on his day.

I can't even think who'd come close to Gunnar. .

Aha! One just sprung to mind:

Pogs! He'd be up there close to Halle for me. Quality keeper on his day.

that would be about my thinking!!

hate to say it, but reckon that gunnar would just about edge it as he played top flight footy... and that is on the back of the big aussie who CHOSE to stay with us when his chance came a knocking!! (well who knows where it would of lead?)

Carlo 'pinball feet' Corrazin :grin:

Only against Wrexham. For me it would have to be Gunnar Halle (who I think was one of the original 13 foreign players in the Premiership) and a lot of the other good ones were 'Irish'. I thought Pedersen was possibly a better player on his day but he had his career ruined by Burnden Park. Gary Kelly deserves an honorable mention (since he hasn't been mentioned yet) and like Shez he was technically foreign as does Mike Milligan and Denis Irwin.

Didn't Wegerle win goal of the season one year with some sort of crazy overhead kick and wasn't he the first Yank to play top level football in England.

It has to be Gunnar.

One of the club's greatest ever gentlemen too.

Maybe Denis Irwin, if you can call him an import (he did come from o'er t'hill...)

the article decided that irishmen weren't imports, they didnt have the same cultural differences etc to overcome...

Winstone Dubose? Seriously - Diego (may have been). Gunnar/Pogs tie for me! I believe Valentine was the dogz blox but b4 my time unfortunately.

valentine was born and bred in manchester in only played for Canada after becoming a citizen for canada in theearly eighties .. does this still count cause he would defo be in the team of the johnny foreigners if so

probably trying to scrape names now -

tore pedersen

Got to be Gunnar, when he was sold half-way through 96/97 that was pretty much the the straw that broke the camel's back. Gunnar had been playing superbly, we'd managed to scrape out of the bottom 3 despite an horrific start to the season and lo and behold Stott and his cronies cash in and despite contining the run for a few more games by the New Year we're back in deep doggy doo and never recover.