Strike Partnership Next Season

I'm not convinced that Hughes/Davies works as a strike duo.

It should do, as they are different types of player.

I thought Alessandra and Davies worked a treat. I think Hughes is the best individual player.

What are your views?

Should we start the season with a fit Hughes and a fit Davies leading the line?

Should we bring someone else in?

Where does Alessandra fit in?

Does Wolfenden have a future?

Should we play 4-5-1?

If you were Shez, what would you do?

Didn't Shez throw out some stat a while back about us only losing a few of games when Davies and Hughes have started up front? He seemed pretty keen then on those two being the main forwards.

Obviously Alessandra doing so well gives Shez a nice headache over the summer.

Didn't Shez throw out some stat a while back about us only losing a few of games when Davies and Hughes have started up front? He seemed pretty keen then on those two being the main forwards.

Obviously Alessandra doing so well gives Shez a nice headache over the summer.

Good challenge. Here's some stats.

01/09/2007 Hartlepool 4-1 Oldham

15/09/2007 Oldham 0-1 Southend

22/09/2007 Walsall 0-3 Oldham

06/11/2007 Tranmere 0-1 Oldham

10/11/2007 Oldham 2-2 Doncaster

17/11/2007 Oldham 1-1 Port Vale

24/11/2007 Bournemth 0-3 Oldham

01/12/2007 Oldham 1-0 Crewe

04/12/2007 Oldham 1-1 Luton

08/12/2007 Oldham 1-1 Doncaster

15/12/2007 Millwall 2-3 Oldham

22/12/2007 Southend 0-1 Oldham

26/12/2007 Oldham 0-0 Nottm Forest

29/12/2007 Oldham 0-2 Walsall

01/01/2008 Leeds 1-3 Oldham

05/01/2008 Everton 0-1 Oldham

12/01/2008 Oldham 1-1 Brighton

19/01/2008 Yeovil 0-0 Oldham

22/01/2008 Gillingham 0-0 Oldham

This includes all games where they have both appeared (not researched whether they both started though, or whether one replaced the other). Might undo my own argument here but ...

P19 W9 D8 L2 equates to a full season of P46 W22 D19 L5 = 85 points (3 more than the promoted Forest, 6 fewer than Leeds would have got in 'normal circumstances').

3rd place behind Swansea and Leeds, and Hughes wasn't fully fit for a number of the games.

(Added 6th May 22.07: Missed off Orient 1-0 Latics and a defeat too! so the record is P20 W8 D8 L4 which equates to P46 W18 D19 L0 F53 A37 Pts 73 - 7th place - do I feel a jerk for messing that up!).

Edited by opinions4u

Simple answer ......... Hughes and Davies every time. Lost 2 out of 17 (I think) they played together and these loses were Hughes first game. So how in you eyes options4u are you not convinced that these to together work?

Lewis / Clarke or Constaintine third striker option or when Davies is moved wide.

Simple answer ......... Hughes and Davies every time. Lost 2 out of 17 (I think) they played together and these loses were Hughes first game. So how in you eyes options4u are you not convinced that these to together work?

Lewis / Clarke or Constaintine third striker option or when Davies is moved wide.

Looks like I provided the stats to destroy my own case (2 defeats in 19 is pretty exceptional).

I don't think 23 goals (the team, not the strikers) in total in those 19 games is a great return though and rarely got the feeling that there was ever genuine understanding between the two. Did they genuinely want to pass the ball to each other?

Genuinely interested in other peoples views though.

rarely got the feeling that there was ever genuine understanding between the two. Did they genuinely want to pass the ball to each other?

Lol...that a trick question? No need to answer.....

Whoever put it about that Hughes and CD don't get on was talking out of his arse. They are as thick as thieves, and Craig looked really surprised when I told him that they were rumoured not to be the best of friends.

This includes all games where they have both appeared (not researched whether they both started though, or whether one replaced the other). Might undo my own argument here but ...

P19 W9 D8 L2 equates to a full season of P46 W22 D19 L5 = 85 points (3 more than the promoted Forest, 6 fewer than Leeds would have got in 'normal circumstances').

3rd place behind Swansea and Leeds, and Hughes wasn't fully fit for a number of the games.

Good Call!!!

How about looking at the same stats from other angles:

Who was our best centre-back partnership?

Who was our best centre-midfield partership?

KEEP THE FAITH

2 defeats in 17/19 or whatever it is with an unbalanced side.

Balance the midfield up, which came around Carlisle at home when JJ came in, we see 32 goals in 20 games without Hughesy - he limped off out of the very same game JJ arrived. We also failed to score in 6 of those games, add the inconsistent young side who stopped performing on the road. Might as well throw in the injuries...

Basically, we scored quite a few more in just a few more games without Hughesy. Then again, we lost Davies at Brighton, so since then we've scored 24 goals in 14 games.

With Hughesy/Davies = 1.21 goals per game.

Without Hughesy until end of season = 1.6 goals per game.

Without Hughesy, with Davies from Carlisle (H) until Brighton (A) = 1.2 goals per game

Without both Hughesy and Davies = 1.71 goals per game

Well, well, well...

We, according to those stats, would have scored 78 league goals without Hughesy/Davies, 20 more than what we finished on (58). But there are so many other factors need considering. If you have a balanced side, went without major disruptions to the squad, we really could have ran away with the league.

However, the fact that we scored 1.71 goals per game without an experienced player in Lee Hughes and our then top scorer and with a very young side and with major disruptions to the side over 14 games only is a compliment to the lads and the manager, who some believe should be sacked or whatever. We could easily have crashed, picking up 10 points or so, and see ourselves looking at the bottom 4. We didn't, and we finished in a very sound 8th place.

Sorry for going off topic there. :grin:

Edited by UpTheLatics

The fact is the same two strikers won't be playing a full season together so it will need several combinations throughout.

I think the manager will have his eye on a big target man as an alternative to his present strikers when required.

Are you sure they're the only games? Off the top of my head I remember they both played at Orient.

We could easily have crashed, picking up 10 points or so, and see ourselves looking at the bottom 4. We didn't, and we finished in a very sound 8th place.

Absolutely. And this point needs to be made more aware the next time a bunch of numpties are demanding he be fired. All things considered, 8th is a pretty satisfactory finish IMO.

I'd like to see Hughes and Davies up front with Lewis playing slightly behind them, deeper. Most of allasndra's good work is doing what he did on saturday for the goal, holding it and playing it. That would possibly work better if a bit deeper.

May also mean we wouldn't need a midfielder as desparately.

I'd look at that in pre season anyway.

Its Hughes who can out do a Beckett (when fit) of pinching a goal in a tight game. Its the draws that have done for us this season on top of the injuries.

So for me its a Hughes +1 from several. Would like to see Constantine back playing with Hughes personally with Davies and Lewis wider.

Beckett could finish a chance that was laid on for him or sniff out a chance from a mistake, but he actually created very few for himself and even fewer for others. Not even half the player that Hughes is IMO. I know who most defenders would rather face, a bag of tricks like Hughes or Beckett struggling to get out of second gear.

Beckett could finish a chance that was laid on for him or sniff out a chance from a mistake, but he actually created very few for himself and even fewer for others. Not even half the player that Hughes is IMO. I know who most defenders would rather face, a bag of tricks like Hughes or Beckett struggling to get out of second gear.

:grin: Thats quite laughable really. They are very similar players apart from Hughes being a little quicker off the mark.

:grin: Thats quite laughable really. They are very similar players apart from Hughes being a little quicker off the mark.

Much as I like Super Luke Hughesy has a lot more in his locker then Beckett ever has. Being a 'little quicker' off the mark is not the only difference.

Hughes isnt even quick!

They really aren’t. Hughes can turn defenders inside out with his dribbling, he can shoot very well and from distance with either foot, and his passing and vision are a country mile better than Beckett’s. Beckett is only any use facing goal running on to passes.

And Hughes is a little quicker off the mark in the same way as John Holmes was slightly better endowed than I am.

You need to take your blinkers off a little more when watching Hughes Coco.

Have a look at the goals he scored at Southend; home against Brighton and away versus Bournemouth for starters. Beckett would not have bagged any of them as he doesn't have the pace or ability to create chances of his own. Hughes also scores the "right place, right time" goals that Beckett thrives upon and so clearly, Hughes is a far more accomplished allround striker than dear old Luke.

You need to take your blinkers off a little more when watching Hughes Coco.

Have a look at the goals he scored at Southend; home against Brighton and away versus Bournemouth for starters. Beckett would not have bagged any of them as he doesn't have the pace or ability to create chances of his own. Hughes aalso scores the "right place, right time" goals that Beckett thrives upon and so clearly, Hughes is a far more accomplished allround striker than dear old Luke.

If I could be arsed to look at latics world I could find you some fantastic goals Beckett made for himself, I seem to remember a delightful lofted shot from the edge off the box at home.

As with most things, the real test will be next season but lets not forget Beckett scored 18 goals (after missing the first 3-4 months of the season)in a team which, according to some, played boring long ball football who created very little.

Good Call!!!

How about looking at the same stats from other angles:

Who was our best centre-back partnership?

Who was our best centre-midfield partership?

KEEP THE FAITH

I'll guess because it's something i've though about. Was it Stam and Trotman or Hazell? Was the defense tighter (statistically) with Stam than Gregan? Only guessing but, oh dear, I'm off before i get l get lynched. Roll on lovers of the fat arse...

Are you sure they're the only games? Off the top of my head I remember they both played at Orient.

sourced the data very quickly at Soccerbase.com.

Just checked it and you're spot on. I missed it.

Knock 7 points off to leave us safely in the play-offs.

:grin:

Edited by opinions4u