Latics - the name as a trademark

I'm not an expert on trademark law - if there is someone who is can they respond to this? it appears that Wigwam have registered "Latics" as their trademark. Does this affect our club's ability to use it? It was registered in 2005 so perhaps not .

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/t-find-adp?propnum=0861180001

It seems that we have just registered a crest (you can search the website).

Edited by LaticsPete

It isn't really a problem. More than likely registered to ensure that they can take action (if necessary) against counterfeits probably mainly the ones for which there are huge markets overseas for Premiership clubs in particular. The legal process with trademarks can be such a long and drawn out affair (not to mention the fact that our use of the trademark happened before them) that they would never challenge the official club (ours) use of either.

We'd have heard by now if they did.

It isn't really a problem. More than likely registered to ensure that they can take action (if necessary) against counterfeits probably mainly the ones for which there are huge markets overseas for Premiership clubs in particular. The legal process with trademarks can be such a long and drawn out affair (not to mention the fact that our use of the trademark happened before them) that they would never challenge the official club (ours) use of either.

We'd have heard by now if they did.

Excellent.

Maybe we should register "Mud hutters" in return! :idea:

I'm not an expert on trademark law - if there is someone who is can they respond to this? it appears that Wigwam have registered "Latics" as their trademark. Does this affect our club's ability to use it? It was registered in 2005 so perhaps not .

it's because unlike our friends from the west of Bolton, we arent sell-outs

Wigan would find it very difficult to mount a claim that OAFC are infringing their mark, since OAFC could 'prove' that they had been using it before Wigan. In fact, OAFC could probably attempt to oppose the mark on that basis but, since OAFC have not themselves sought such a mark, this would inevitably come to nothing too.

Wigan have no real reason to oppose OAFC's use of the word Latics though, since it would never be used in a manner that would compete with Wigan or attempt to confuse people into thinking that it was associated with Wigan.

I bought a new Latics mug recently and it has the OAFC crest on it with "The Latics", Wigwam are welcome to register "Latics" - I am happy that we are "The Latics".

Not wanting to be pedantic...err well yes, happy to be pedantic.... if Latics is a derivation from the word Athletic, then we support Oldham Latics not Oldham the Latics. The rarely wrong Chron always call the club "Athletic", not the Athletic.

Not wanting to be pedantic...err well yes, happy to be pedantic.... if Latics is a derivation from the word Athletic, then we support Oldham Latics not Oldham the Latics. The rarely wrong Chron always call the club "Athletic", not the Athletic.

I know a lady who always calls us 'Oldham Athletics'. :angry: