First match memories ?

Has anyone got stand out memories of Latics opening league match of the season from the past - home or away ?

I remember being at Anfield when Latics took the lead against Liverpool in their very first Premier league match.

Edited by BP1960

Quite a few really, but it's always worth mentioning Lee Richardson's two screamers against Charlton on the opening day of 94/95 (was it?)

Yep it was. Finished 5-2 with Graeme Sharp bagging another and Sean McCarthy a further two.

In the 80's, remember a 2-1 win at Derby with Ron Futcher scoring.

Oh, and also Nick Henry's goal from near the half-way line on a roasting hot day at Chelsea after Beasant fluffed his clearance. It was the first game after the no backpass rule. Heh.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

I remember being at Anfield when Latics took the lead against Liverpool in their very first Premier league match.

We were singing "We'll be top at 5 o'clock" - we were that confident back then that we actually believed it too!

BTW, it was our first game in the first division - I think our first game in the Premier was a 1-1 draw with Chelsea (?)

From memory, I attended Cardiff at Home (2002), Brighton at Home (2003), Luton Away (2004) then decided not to attend the Yeovil game at home (2005).

I then returned back in 2006 when I travelled to Tranmere but last season, I decided not to attend the home game against Swansea.

Can you see the trend? This is 100% true so I'm afraid I won't be attending against Milwall this Saturday despite wanting to!

My most favourite one has to be against Liverpool at Anfield. Couldn't get a ticket so stood in the Kop and I'm afraid I couldn't help myself from going off on one when The Pearl scored to put us 1-0 up. Despite the circumstances, the Liverpool fans were great and were quick to return the compliment when we end 2-1 down at the end.

Notts County coming to town with Andy Hughes and beating us 3-1. Ah, good times.

I'm trying to remember what happened for their first goal. Did he kick it out of Kelly's hands or something?

Think it was Ian Richardson, Kelly went to clear the ball from his hands, Richardson kicked it out of his hands, then stretched to lob the loose ball over Kelly, the crowd held its breath as we expected the ref to blow for a foul. Instead the pillock pointed to the halfway line. County bagged another two in a manic opening half-hour with Hughes going mental at the Chaddy End for some reason, the fans were gutted when Colin 'gave' him away yet he acted like he had some sort of score to settle.........idiot!

By the way, being three down in a matter of minutes was a regular occurence under Ritchie!

Edited by oafcprozac

Has anyone got stand out memories of Latics opening league match of the season from the past - home or away ?

I remember that day as if it was yesterday, i ended standing in the kop with a shellsuit top fully zipped up to hide my latics shirt

I remember that day as if it was yesterday, i ended standing in the kop with a shellsuit top fully zipped up to hide my latics shirt

You'd have fitted in perfectly with the locals then :grin:

I camped out outside The Clayton Arms in my sleeping bag for a ticket for that match.

Guest oa_exile

lol :lol: bet you had a frizzy perm as well :grin:

When Ian Marshall signed for Ipswich after his bust up with Uncle Joe and he came back and scored a Hat-Trick. Was that on the opening day? I have a feeling it might have been?

Yes. It was my sisters wedding day and I was told off for even 'asking' whether it was possible to nip out of the reception for a couple of hours.

This and the Notts County ones stick in the memory as bad starts. 0-3 at home to County (just promopted) in about 20 minutes pretty much kicks all the pre-season optimism out of you.

Other memorable ones:

- Wolves away 2-3 win with a Marshall hat-trick.

- The home defeat to Brighton after the bleak summer; and

- whilst the opponents not memorable but one or 2 years ago when I think 9 of the starting 11 were 'making their debut'. It was like watching someone elses team there were so many new faces in the starting line-up.

- Liverpool away in 1991. Queued up overnight to get a ticket for that game - and it was soooo worth it.

When Ian Marshall signed for Ipswich after his bust up with Uncle Joe and he came back and scored a Hat-Trick. Was that on the opening day? I have a feeling it might have been?

Strange how the mind plays tricks on one. Marshall scored the opener that day, with Steve Palmer and Paul Mason scoring the others, think we knew the game was up that day. We managed to avoid relegation by the skin of our teeth then didn't sign any bugger!!!

As for the Derby game Frankly, we won 1-0, with Ron Futcher scoring the winner from the spot.

My memorable ones:-

Ipswich L0-3, gutted knew we'd go down

The Luton traffic jam

The late comeback at Wrexham after being 3-1 down with 5 minutes to go

The optimism which surrounded Ronnie's new team in 2005

Battering a very good Huddersfield side in '95

The wonder goals v Charlton

3-0 down after 20 mins vs Notts C.

Hammering Vale, thinking Carlo would solve our long suffering striker drought

Bighton, we'd made it!

Swansea destroying us yet Davies mugging 'em at the death!

Two perfectly good goals disallowed vs Stoke in '96 (Uriah Rennie, tosser!)

Edited by oafcprozac

Think it was Ian Richardson, Kelly went to clear the ball from his hands, Richardson kicked it out of his hands, then stretched to lob the loose ball over Kelly, the crowd held its breath as we expected the ref to blow for a foul. Instead the pillock pointed to the halfway line. County bagged another two in a manic opening half-hour with Hughes going mental at the Chaddy End for some reason, the fans were gutted when Colin 'gave' him away yet he acted like he had some sort of score to settle.........idiot!

By the way, being three down in a matter of minutes was a regular occurence under Ritchie!

Yes my god they were dark days that season for me that season was the most depressing of all time. That was in the days when we got excited about the prospect of Mathew Tipton and the pre season excitement of our man to solve our stiking problems step forward super Steve Whitehall.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Quite a few. Although my memory may be playing tricks!!

Luton : lost 1-6. Didn't we take the lead?

Cardiff : 2-2 81/82 season. My best friend's funeral was the day before. I really couldn't have cared less but we threw away a two goal lead! I also remember that the Cardiff fans were housed in the Main Stand paddock.

Cardiff : 1-2 02/03 season. My wife's first league match. I was also sitting with a few mates. One of whom was a Cardiff fan!!

Brighton : 1-3 03/04 season. After the traumas of the close season I felt compelled to return to England. Not been back since!!

Liverpool :1-2. Earl Barrett!!

Blackburn : Can't remember the score (0-2?) but I know we lost. This was the start of the "Pinch Me" season. I was interviewed by BBC radio after the match. So was my dad who said we were, "Bloody rubbish!!" No surprise there, Diego!!

I remember the Derby win with great fondness !!

Wolves :3-2 in the promotion season. I'd travelled all the way down from Cumbria. A great day.

Charlton :5:2. I thought we'd bounce straight back up!!

The first league match of the 74/75 season resulted in a 1-0 or 2-0 home win but I can't remember who we played. I think we lost our first away match 1-0 at Notts Co.

We also did well in the Anglo-Scottish Cup that pre-season: beating Sheff Utd at home (Tony Currie etc) 4-1, Blackpool 2-1 away, but losing to Th*ksin (his wife is a crook) Town 1-2.

Can anyone recall who our first league match was against? I was definitely there (I have the programme) but for the life of me I just can't remember!!!! It's funny how old age can play tricks!!