Corney's latest statement

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again....

Again... not having a go at TTA and everything they have done... they are saviours of our club and we are eternally grateful...

But for gods sake... its bank holiday weekend, slap bang in the middle of the summer holidays, and we are playing one of the most uninspiring teams in the entrire football league, who bring a pittance, after Leeds and rochdale which were two expensive away days...

For frigs sake, what do you expect, you can bang on about the football we are playing all you want, but that was always going to be one of the lowest (if not the lowest) crowd of the season.

I'm always worried that still they dont understand the way the mind of the peripheral fan works. If TTA expect them to turn up for Cheltenham at home, they are sadly mistaken, and that is a knee jerk reaction....

if he wants to be angry at someone get angry at the bloody fixture computer... or perhaps all those clubs who failed to get promoted/got relegated instead of Cheltenham... tell you what simon, lets swap Cheltenham & Yeovil for Bratfud and Rockerdale... Perhaps we could also just play Leeds every week?

We need more fans, granted, but to come out with this after Cheltenham at home is just a bit too emotive, yet again....

I wish he'd put his brain in gear before spouting off the same old :censored:e. Really pissed off with Corney opening his gob again, every time we're on a good run, negative PR eminates from the club and deflates everyone. If we need to sell someone, sell 'em but don't come up with crap excuses. After two hoime games and 8 goals, interest will begin to stir and He knows damn well there'll be decent crowds vs Mongs and Hudds (next two at home). Yes the crowd was crap, but the club are hardly helping themselves, several of us come up with initiatives, email the club time after time (vouchers, half season tickets, outlets in the Town Centre, Notice Board advertising upcoming games) yet the club sits on its hands. Cheltenham is always a poor crowd, then add in the cost, a week after some paying £27 at Leeds, then another £20+ at Col U and associated costs. Bank Holiday Weekend, School Holidays and the credit crunch, then add in the SS style stewarding, smoking ban, announcements on the website over standing and swearing and the fact LDB has alienated a few already this season. Come up with in initiatives that work amd that are sustainable, reach out to different communities and be sincere instead of half-arsed and it may get us somewhere. Selling the family silver will just excacerbate the apathy within the town. But most of all Simon stop feeding these same old tired lines to the Chron, lats see some pro-activity on the marketing of the club rather than whining! And as for losses we're grateful for everything you've done for the club BUT if you want us to succeed keep this squad together. The club was boasting over the new sponsorship deals and how well we'd done, so please stop the emotional blackmail, because I for one am getting sick of it!

We will agree to disagree then big guy! I remember when the Trannies used to bring more away fans than anyone else... it has been a real shock over the last two years to see how their away support has declined... but hey, the point is that not only away fans, but the lure of the club that makes a crowd. Sur elots of the stay aways would come to see us put one over ronnie, rather than play the mighty cheltenham...

As for the rest of the stuff... we will see, however MK Dons is yet another uninspiring game to lure the fans back... but if we happen to beat the dingles, and the Trannies (not really expecting anything at colchester) then we have to be up on the 5k mark...

Tranmere bring more than anyone else? :grin:

2 key things for me. We have lost a lot of the floating fans because of the cost of going and the apathy of being stuck in the 3rd division for the past 10 years. The teams we play also doesn't help, no disrespect to Chelts but a big turnout of Tics isn't going to happen against them whether we are top of the league or not. The fixture is quite frankly a sad inditement of how far this great club has fallen. Had we been playing Leeds/Leicester I am pretty sure you could have added another 1500 to the home support.

The club does little or nothing to promote the club within the town. OK, every now and again the players will go to schools and sign some shirts in the Spindles but its hardly getting massively in the face of the people in the town. Get some posters up, get some billboards on Rochdale road, get some adverts in the Chron, in the Advertiser. Get a family ticket scheme going. Get some radio adverts. The club should be doing more to encourage the fans to get their arses down to BP.

Winning football and a good team will help as well of course!

We could become a Bolton if we do things right - similiar sized town and they were in the same boat as us 20 years ago. Get it wrong and we are no bigger or better than Rochdale - again, a similar sized town. Thats the fine line between success and failure. At the moment the Oldham public still is interested in its football team but the majority aren't in love with it.

I think you must have misread my post, because I did not refer to purchasing online. I said tickets could be bought over the phone.

Yes I take your point about people deciding at the last minute. However, take Saturdays attendance of around 4,500 home fans. 3,000 are season ticket holders which means 1,500 are pay on the day. There were only around 200 or so that bought before the day of the game meaning around 1,300 have paid on the day. Some of these are families which can mean savings of £4-£6 a time.

One of the points I was making is how many of these 1,300 are aware that they can save. money. If they are not aware, then they are not going to tell others who might be thinking of coming back. It really is a simple way of keeping the admission prices down and maybe, just maybe, enticing back some of the stayaways. At the same time I accept that there will always be those who make a last minute decision, I just can't accept that that is around 80% of none season ticket holders that do so.

Cheers,

Harry

Excuse my ignorance but why does it have to be £20 on the day...why can't it be £18.

Excuse my ignorance but why does it have to be £20 on the day...why can't it be £18.

Some people just like to pay on the day. If they do they'll pay £20. Why should the club cut off its nose to spite its face and charge them £18? If the argument is that more people will turn up because its two quid cheaper I doubt that would be the case in all honesty.

agree.

I sort of agree with you dfOAFC - smaller clubs like Oldham have no other option than to sell their better players to make ends meet - but it will always be disappointing for the fans and the owners too to see these players move on.

However, what does annoy me a bit is when the owners start stamping their feet intimating that the fans aren't good enough because we're not putting enough money into the pot.

When Boundary Park is redeveloped and the housing development is completed, will they look at their profit account on Brassbank Ltd and say "the fans helped us make this money, we'll return the favour by giving them a cut of the deal... after all we did say we were all in it together".

Ha now call me a cynic but I can't see that happening ;)

It should also be remembered that last Saturday some fans were forking out £15 for Burmley and £22 for Colchester tickets. If they were also paying £20 admission for the Cheltenham game, they were unlikely to be able to afford to take other members of the family to the game to boost the gate.

Whilst on the subject of other members of the family, there must be plenty of women in the Oldham area aged between 60 and 64, who would go to BP if they could get a concession. They're on reduced income of State Pension but senior concessions don't start at BP until age 65. It's another group of the community that could be encouraged to attend.

This bothers me very little, it's a way of the world for small clubs to sell a player to cover costs, how much trouble would we have been in if Trotters had stayed?

It's a fine balancing act though isn't it...picking the right time to sell and I don't think it's the right time after only 2 home games. Scaremongering is not going to put extra bums on seats and Corney doesn't need to tell us the harsh truths every couple of months as I'm sure everyone is acutely aware of the economics.

If we get to December and there is no improvement then that is the time to recoup some money. I just feel it is another ill-timed knee jerk doom and gloom story of which Simon Corney seems to excel!!

If we're still in the top places at Christmas time then I'm sure everything will look after itself and renders this outburst as pointless...and if we're not then the fans will be expecting a Trotman type sale and I don't think the vast majority of fans will complain.

However, what does annoy me a bit is when the owners start stamping their feet intimating that the fans aren't good enough because we're not putting enough money into the pot.

it's not the fans they're having a go at (????)

why've you got a hammer & sickle as your avatar?

Whilst on the subject of other members of the family, there must be plenty of women in the Oldham area aged between 60 and 64, who would go to BP if they could get a concession. They're on reduced income of State Pension but senior concessions don't start at BP until age 65. It's another group of the community that could be encouraged to attend.

EUREKA!

If we're still playing well at Christmas and scoring plenty of goals, although it hurts me to say it, I think our floating ManUre and Citeh fans will have come to our rescue yet again by boosting the BP crowds, like they used to do in Big Joe's days. I know those two teams weren't playing on Saturday, but there was a lot of enthusiasm for Latics on GMR which, if continued, will rub off on those floaters.

If we're still playing well at Christmas and scoring plenty of goals, although it hurts me to say it, I think our floating ManUre and Citeh fans will have come to our rescue yet again by boosting the BP crowds, like they used to do in Big Joe's days. I know those two teams weren't playing on Saturday, but there was a lot of enthusiasm for Latics on GMR which, if continued, will rub off on those floaters.

i know the revalution does match day snippets,latest scores and so on.....but the club could do with a feature once a week,say on a friday evening or something,say a half hour slot to basically plug the games but to raise awareness to the listeners,interview with the gaffer and players and that sort of thing....

i know we have the channel m show and we get our fair share of coverage on there,but im still incensed with itv and bbc as we hardly every get a mention on them,yet rochdale bury and even chester do!!!

My dad was asking me that the other day. I didnt know the answer for him, as he turns 60 in december even though he does look it and was saying he knows numerous clubs who's oap rate starts at age 60. He was saying he'd probably go all the time if he could get a concession but £20 is alot of money when he could be earning 5 times that if he worked a shift on a saturday and just do what he does now and pick and choose a game.

Big clap to Corney from me. He can't keep dipping in his pocket on gates of less than 5000. He is telling it like it is. I admire the guys honesty.

Would you throw money away on a business if the income continued to drop? Nah, you'd strip the assets and streamline the operation. Thats business.

TTA have given us a fighting chance. A budget that enables us to put out a side with Liddell, Gregan, Hughes, Davies, Eardley, Taylor in it. Or would you rather we have a budget which enables us to put out a team with Tipton, Garnett, Ricketts, Jepson in it? Some people have very short memories.

Well done Simon. Tell it like it is. You have a lot more patience than what I would have. Touch wood Oldham might just realise it has a football team one day but that might only be when we end up with another trip to Wembley.

My dad was asking me that the other day. I didnt know the answer for him, as he turns 60 in december even though he does look it and was saying he knows numerous clubs who's oap rate starts at age 60. He was saying he'd probably go all the time if he could get a concession but £20 is alot of money when he could be earning 5 times that if he worked a shift on a saturday and just do what he does now and pick and choose a game.

i dont think the turnstile ops really check the tickets anyway, so he should be ok to get a oap ticket

For me Latics just need to provide more incentives to get people back in the stadium. Discounts off for certain people, students, etc.

Also, and has been mentioned, more marketing. Billboard posters, more coverage on websites and even using social networking sites to try and entice people. Not enough is done on the marketing side IMO and this is where you can succeed in getting maybe 200/300 extra through the gates.

We're playing good football and on top of the league. Now if that's not a good enough USP (sorry, Unique Selling Point - me bad) then was on earth is???

Big clap to Corney from me. He can't keep dipping in his pocket on gates of less than 5000. He is telling it like it is. I admire the guys honesty.

Would you throw money away on a business if the income continued to drop? Nah, you'd strip the assets and streamline the operation. Thats business.

TTA have given us a fighting chance. A budget that enables us to put out a side with Liddell, Gregan, Hughes, Davies, Eardley, Taylor in it. Or would you rather we have a budget which enables us to put out a team with Tipton, Garnett, Ricketts, Jepson in it? Some people have very short memories.

Well done Simon. Tell it like it is. You have a lot more patience than what I would have. Touch wood Oldham might just realise it has a football team one day but that might only be when we end up with another trip to Wembley.

There may be some truth in what he says .... but he need's a good PR on how to say it :rant.sml: Maybe the same PR company can work with certain stewards.

As we already have a topic on this subject you may want to continue to post on that one. I will merge this post for you.

Would an asian first team player or two increase the gate?

Whilst on the subject of Asian first team players, there must be plenty of Asian women in the Oldham area aged between 60 and 64, who would go to BP if they could get a concession. They're on reduced income of State Pension but senior concessions don't start at BP until age 65. It's another group of the community that could be encouraged to attend

Whilst on the subject of Asian first team players, there must be plenty of Asian women in the Oldham area aged between 60 and 64, who would go to BP if they could get a concession. They're on reduced income of State Pension but senior concessions don't start at BP until age 65. It's another group of the community that could be encouraged to attend

Perhaps we should have a "Bhurka Only" section of seats?

Those ones that barely have a grasp of the language??

Wasn't really the sector of the asain community I was considering! :lol: