Corney's latest statement

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There may be some truth in what he says .... but he need's a good PR on how to say it :rant.sml: Maybe the same PR company can work with certain stewards.

As we already have a topic on this subject you may want to continue to post on that one. I will merge this post for you.

Personally I am absolutely sick to death of all this PR stuff. Corney wears his heart on his sleeve. You can get someone to dress that up all you want but the message is clear. The size of our support is nothing short of shameful whichever way you cut it. If Corney upsets a few people by telling the truth - well they need to get out more.

He is laying the cards on the table. Back us and we'll continue to back the club. Don't and we won't. Fair do's I say. At least he is giving the Oldham public a chance at it instead of just selling Taylor and Eardley without even thinking about it.

Just my opinion.

My dad was asking me that the other day. I didnt know the answer for him, as he turns 60 in december even though he does look it and was saying he knows numerous clubs who's oap rate starts at age 60. He was saying he'd probably go all the time if he could get a concession but £20 is alot of money when he could be earning 5 times that if he worked a shift on a saturday and just do what he does now and pick and choose a game.

I have raised this with the Club in the past. It does not wish to distinguish between men and women. At present women receive the State Pension at 60 and men at 65, although they are both eligible for free bus travel from 60. The Club gives concessions to anyone over 65, regardless of whether they are retired or still working.

My point is that concessions should be for people on reduced income*. It's a fact of life that men and women are not considered equal in retirement age terms - it's no coincidence that statistically women retire earlier and live longer than men. One group on reduced income is women over 60 on State Pension. By avoiding upsetting men between 60 and 64, the Club has effectively alienated a group of women who could afford concessionary prices and boost the BP crowd.

The Club says the policy is reviewed every year and I hope that one year it will change to the Club's advantage instead of cutting off its nose.

*The last time I made this point, it was said on here that pensioners are better off than workers with mortgages and families. In that case why give senior concessions at all? But they are given on a basis which I think is working against the Club.

Personally I am absolutely sick to death of all this PR stuff. Corney wears his heart on his sleeve. You can get someone to dress that up all you want but the message is clear. The size of our support is nothing short of shameful whichever way you cut it. If Corney upsets a few people by telling the truth - well they need to get out more.

He is laying the cards on the table. Back us and we'll continue to back the club. Don't and we won't. Fair do's I say. At least he is giving the Oldham public a chance at it instead of just selling Taylor and Eardley without even thinking about it.

Just my opinion.

don't you love the way so many on here contrive to make out he's having a pop at those of us who DO GO just for the opportunity to have a moan?

I have raised this with the Club in the past. It does not wish to distinguish between men and women. At present women receive the State Pension at 60 and men at 65, although they are both eligible for free bus travel from 60. The Club gives concessions to anyone over 65, regardless of whether they are retired or still working.

My point is that concessions should be for people on reduced income*. It's a fact of life that men and women are not considered equal in retirement age terms - it's no coincidence that statistically women retire earlier and live longer than men. One group on reduced income is women over 60 on State Pension. By avoiding upsetting men between 60 and 64, the Club has effectively alienated a group of women who could afford concessionary prices and boost the BP crowd.

The Club says the policy is reviewed every year and I hope that one year it will change to the Club's advantage instead of cutting off its nose.

*The last time I made this point, it was said on here that pensioners are better off than workers with mortgages and families. In that case why give senior concessions at all? But they are given on a basis which I think is working against the Club.

MMM I see so you're tryin to redress the age of death balance by having more women at BP and in doing so more heart related problems!

Joking aside I really cannot see many women aged 60-65 making Latics a new hobby cos they get a concession!!!

Edited by Lags

One reason for low crowds could be the demise of the Lookers stand, many don't like to watch a match from behind the goal, the only alternative is the main stand, which is probably near capacity on match days.

It does not help when the general feeling is it could be several years before Lookers is replaced.

I agree the Latics over 65 rule is particularly galling when lots of other clubs operate an over 60 concessionary rule.

Maybe the Football League ought look at this issue.

One reason for low crowds could be the demise of the Lookers stand, many don't like to watch a match from behind the goal, the only alternative is the main stand, which is probably near capacity on match days.

It does not help when the general feeling is it could be several years before Lookers is replaced.

I agree the Latics over 65 rule is particularly galling when lots of other clubs operate an over 60 concessionary rule.

There were still over 200 seats in Main Stand upper on Saturday and many more in the Paddock, so I don't think that argument holds. However I do see your point and if the crowds do increase, the main stand is likely to sell out every match.

Cheers,

Harry

I am just wondering how on earth we would cope in the Championship given our crowds. A quick glance of the attendances in that league would suggest that with the exception of the Donkey Lashers most clubs can pull in between 15,000 - 20,000. Now at the moment our ground won't even hold that many fans. Given the expected salaries at that level how could we attract or even retain our players without getting into a terrible financial mess. I don't know what we could reasonably expect to average in the Championship but I bet it wouldn't be much more than 8,000 - 8,500. Last time we were in that league that was probably considered an average / just below average attendance but things have moved on at that level now and the clubs all seem to be well supported.

Not for a minute am I suggesting we shouldn't aim at that level but I would think Simon's concerns now are nothing like what they would be in the Championship, even given the extra TV money.

I think you can look at many excuses for why our crowds are poor:-

1) Man Utd/Man City on our doorstep

2) Poor ground

3) Division 3 football (will alays be division three to me)

4) Lookers regulars don't want to relocate

5) Its too expensive

6) They can't smoke

7) People are on hols

8) Stuck in this division for 10 years

9) Credit crunch

10) Unemployment in Oldham

11) Stewards

12) The muppet choir

13) The atmosphere

14) They don't get a bonk off Cheyl Cole at half time

Christ we could go on forever. The excuses are not however exclusive to us. There are many clubs with many of the same problems but they seem to have much better support than us.

What we seem to fudge and shy away from is the real reason. Oldham isn't a football town and the people have no pride in their roots. Too many plastic mancs. That won't change overnight until we do something on the pitch and the club gets its ariss in gear off the pitch.

£20 a game for poor qauility football in a ageing ground... Once your in the ground you have contend with over the top stewarding, moaning from our better class of fans, over priced food, out of date over priced drinks and a bloody drum banging in your ear...

Face it Mr Corney, the only way to get the crowd numbers up is to get promoted...fact...

No amount of silly promotions or moaning from the directors is going to change that fact... Selling our players might balance the books but will condem us to staying in this division and nothing improving...I dont think we will have a better chance of getting out of this division in a long time....balls in your court Mr Corney...

I am just wondering how on earth we would cope in the Championship given our crowds. A quick glance of the attendances in that league would suggest that with the exception of the Donkey Lashers most clubs can pull in between 15,000 - 20,000. Now at the moment our ground won't even hold that many fans. Given the expected salaries at that level how could we attract or even retain our players without getting into a terrible financial mess. I don't know what we could reasonably expect to average in the Championship but I bet it wouldn't be much more than 8,000 - 8,500. Last time we were in that league that was probably considered an average / just below average attendance but things have moved on at that level now and the clubs all seem to be well supported.

Not for a minute am I suggesting we shouldn't aim at that level but I would think Simon's concerns now are nothing like what they would be in the Championship, even given the extra TV money.

The added TV money in the championship is reasonably limited... the extra money is made from gate reciepts. The difference is exactly what you say - teams are better supported. It would be a rare day when the opposition would bring less than 2,000 to boundary park.

We would never compete with the top clubs until we increase the stadium, but you would hope the core of our young side could cope with a few additions, and 8,500-9,000 (6500-7000 latics) should pay for that....

Heres hoping....

I wish he'd put his brain in gear before spouting off the same old :censored:e...as for losses we're grateful for everything you've done for the club BUT if you want us to succeed keep this squad together. The club was boasting over the new sponsorship deals and how well we'd done, so please stop the emotional blackmail, because I for one am getting sick of it!

So am I. The press release sounds like a threat, well sell him then Corney - I call your bluff. Either that or try to drag grannies in at a reduced tariff, pack out the club shop with surgical stockings and plaid blankets, and get Frannie to do a half time bingo. Perhaps Spainboy could give him a few tips.

I'm bemused with this latest statement because the next home game is after the closure of the transfer window.

Therefore if Corney sells a player before the next home game then obviously attendances are irrelevant and it's just an excuse to sell a player and balance the books.

Put a gun to the head of the fans and all he's going to do is alienate the diehard fans or those considering a return through the turnstiles.

Three games, three wins and a sense of optimism finally within the stands of Boundary Park......Corney goes and fecks this all up by flogging one of the crown jewels - a catalyst to the winning - and not only does this feck off the fans but Sheridan, the rest of the team etc etc.

The only way we're going to increase the crowd is to win promotion and host clubs with a larger fanbase because we're not going to add 2-3000 to the home sections until we're up and successful back amongst the bigger boys. Wake up and smell the coffee Corney as this is the only answer to your latest threat.

Before anyone suggest that I'm ungrateful - I like the other 4,500 regulars have spent our own hard-earned money in the hope of success. That's my "investment" when you scale it down and we're speculating to accumulate, which appears to be paying off so far this season!

Think we are both of an age to be wearing surgical stockings. Getting a little bit worried about where this thread is going.

One thing is certain everyone on here will be old someday.

superman wears stocking's but with this undies over them lol superman_returns.jpg

I wish he'd put his brain in gear before spouting off the same old :censored:e. Really pissed off with Corney opening his gob again, every time we're on a good run, negative PR eminates from the club and deflates everyone. If we need to sell someone, sell 'em but don't come up with crap excuses. After two hoime games and 8 goals, interest will begin to stir and He knows damn well there'll be decent crowds vs Mongs and Hudds (next two at home). Yes the crowd was crap, but the club are hardly helping themselves, several of us come up with initiatives, email the club time after time (vouchers, half season tickets, outlets in the Town Centre, Notice Board advertising upcoming games) yet the club sits on its hands. Cheltenham is always a poor crowd, then add in the cost, a week after some paying £27 at Leeds, then another £20+ at Col U and associated costs. Bank Holiday Weekend, School Holidays and the credit crunch, then add in the SS style stewarding, smoking ban, announcements on the website over standing and swearing and the fact LDB has alienated a few already this season. Come up with in initiatives that work amd that are sustainable, reach out to different communities and be sincere instead of half-arsed and it may get us somewhere. Selling the family silver will just excacerbate the apathy within the town. But most of all Simon stop feeding these same old tired lines to the Chron, lats see some pro-activity on the marketing of the club rather than whining! And as for losses we're grateful for everything you've done for the club BUT if you want us to succeed keep this squad together. The club was boasting over the new sponsorship deals and how well we'd done, so please stop the emotional blackmail, because I for one am getting sick of it!

Spot on Prozac,spot on.