RRE Stand News

Hi all

I have recived a letter this morning from the club regarding new seating arrangments in the RRE Stand. please read taken from the letter.

Dear Mr. G

We have been instructed by Greater Manchester Police to make new arrangements in the Leesfield Developments stand for the remainder of the season and these will come into effect at our next home league game.

This will entail us blocking off the first 5 seats of each row in the `I' section of the stand nearest to the segregation area due to the aggressive behavior adopted by some fans towards the visiting supporters.

As a season ticket holder in this area we do realize that this is going to cause you some inconvenience, for which we apologize, but hope that you appreciate this has been forced upon us by the police who anticipate this move will see an improvement in the behavior of the fans concerned.

We intend to make this new arrangement effective from the MK Dons game on the 13 September and would ask you to call in at the main Ticket Office so that we can allocate new seats to you.

If you are able to call at the Ticket Office by Tuesday night, when we play Morecambe in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, we will provide you with a free ticket for this game as a good will gesture.

Once again please accept our apologies for this move but trust that you will understand that we have been instructed to take these steps.

Alan Hardy

Director/Chief-Executive - alan.hardy@oldhamathletic.co.uk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's suprised?

It was always going to happen sooner or later. I'd much rather have the meshing than 20 more police on duty being billed for at the club's expense all because people want to charge the barriers after a goal against the mighty cheltenham.

Does this mean we wont get chucked out for standing up and singing, and jeering

It'll make it harder for them, as they'd have to climb over the meshing to drag you out or start with the left hand side of the block first.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

If you are able to call at the Ticket Office by Tuesday night, when we play Morecambe in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, we will provide you with a free ticket for this game as a good will gesture.

Does this mean I will get a free ticket too as my view of the Rocky will be spoiled by all the tape/meshing/force fields to be put up?

i have also spoken to the ticket office, the club are also having to put netting up between the divide in the stand.....

not happy

nathan

witnin two minutes of the Millwall game I know this would and should have happened from the start

So the message from the club is 'Sit down and shut up? dont make a noise unless you are a visiting fan.

A feckin nannny state, thought we lived in the UK not a old style soviet union.

Joke club

Why? If people are going to charge the barriers whenever we score and throw stuff at Cheltenham fans (Cheltenham fans for gods sake!), then something like this was bound to happen.

So the message from the club is 'Sit down and shut up? dont make a noise unless you are a visiting fan.

Joke club

Nope not at all, its a message from Greater Manchester Police if you read the original letter.

Unfortunately its the minority spoiling it for the majority (as always).

The club can only do as requested, which is better than the police telling them they can't use the stand for home and away fans at all. This was bound to happen, after all, taunting the opposition is part and parcel of the game.

It's not unusual to have a buffer zone between opposing sets of fans, it's just worse because of the already reduced ground capacity. Really, they should have thought about this from the off, or maybe they just expected polite name-calling. :boxer:

Joke club

I think the message is that the first 5 rows (columns?) can't be used due to police saying so. Sitting down for most of the game is a health and safety thing beyond the club's control and anyway, people can't see if people in front stand, and as for making a noise, when was that banned? Unless you mean a constant barrage of swearing and abuse perhaps?

Guest oa_exile

If the people concerned would just sit down like they are supposed to do then the club would not have take these measures.

Sing, shout and have banter with opposing fans by all means as it's part of the match ritual but the standing is pretty obviously a no,no.

.........and let's all be honest thae standing IS the main issue here (see t'other threads).

If the people concerned would just sit down like they are supposed to do then the club would not have take these measures.

Sing, shout and have banter with opposing fans by all means as it's part of the match ritual but the standing is pretty obviously a no,no.

.........and let's all be honest thae standing IS the main issue here (see t'other threads).

Well if thats true then what you have said there sums up why this country is stupid!!!

Its not confrontation that the police are worried about then it is standing! Ill be expecting my government issued wheelchair soon then.

Guest sheridans_world
peed off cos I chose my seats specifically for atmosphere and being back row and can't replicate those elsewhere in the ground.

And now I'm obliged to attend the Morecambe game too lol.

You are not obliged to go and watch the team you support for free at all.

Not suprised this has happened.

Joke club

Why so keen to blame the club for something they have no control over?