Main Stand

For the first time in probably 20 years I sat in the Main Stand last night (my son had been in every other part of the ground so we thought it would be a good opportunity to do so).

I know some of the OWTB members go there every week so don't take this personally but....

It was like a cross btween League of Gentleman and a nursing home. Everybody seemed dressed in grey, and that matched the atmosphere. Even the Frizzell Bar was quiet.

Perhaps it was just the part we were sat in , near the Directors' Box, but I don't think so. If there'd been an announcement of free pies I don't believe it would have roused some of them from a dogged silence. For those in there every week - why!!??

BTW, the RRE's support was good. Kept it going even when team was not going anywhere. Yes, it's been louder but not with such a smsall crowd.

Edited by LaticsPete

For the first time in probably 20 years I sat in the Main Stand last night (my son had been in every other part of the ground so we thought it would be a good opportunity to do so).

I know some of the OWTB members go there every week so don't take this personally but....

It was like a cross btween League of Gentleman and a nursing home. Everybody seemed dressed in grey, and that matched the atmosphere. Even the Frizzell Bar was quiet.

Perhaps it was just the part we were sat in , near the Directors' Box, but I don't think so. If there'd been an announcement of free pies I don't believe it would have roused some of them from a dogged silence. For those in there every week - why!!??

BTW, the RRE's support was good. Kept it going even when team was not going anywhere. Yes, it's been louder but not with such a smsall crowd.

Atmospehere is non-existant but the view is great. What did you make if the leg room?!? I literally HAD to move from behind the directors box - was much better up at the back towards the Rocky end. Speaking of which.....who were all the rough c***s sat up there shouting abuse?!? Most of it was valid though to be fair......anyone to own up? :lol:

I'm always in the Main Stand for one reason, it is the best view in the ground.

There are some real grumpy ignorant :censored:'s in there, but I had the misfortune at Stockport to be sat amongst a group of "fans" who I was informed always go in the RRE for home games and believe me I would take the grumpy Main Stand lot any day of the week.

I don't know who they were but If you could have found one brain between about 30 of them you would have been doing really well, they spent the whole match trying to wind the stewards up for absolutely no reason and I'm certain some of them didn't even know they were at a football match, or indeed what day of the week it was.

Why oh why do we get this constant slagging off of the main stand. Why can't people appreciate that other people want to support their club in their own way. Do you expect 80 year old blokes to keep standing up, facing the opposition supporters and sing "who the f*&^ are you"?

I take my 85 year old dad who's eye sight is so bad he needs to sit in the main stand to be able to see anything..a man who I may add first stood on the BP terraces in the late 20s. Each to their own I say.

Oh and one more point, If you think the main standers moan considerably more than any other part of the ground you'd be wrong.

Why oh why do we get this constant slagging off of the main stand. Why can't people appreciate that other people want to support their club in their own way. Do you expect 80 year old blokes to keep standing up, facing the opposition supporters and sing "who the f*&^ are you"?

That would be quite funny! 80 year old hooligans, they could also sing "Wait till we get you outside and I've got my readers on so that I can make you out" or "You must have come in the Ring and Ride" "Does your carer know you're here" "Who ate all the meals on wheels"

I take my 85 year old dad who's eye sight is so bad he needs to sit in the main stand to be able to see anything..a man who I may add first stood on the BP terraces in the late 20s. Each to their own I say.

Part-timer. :grin:

. Speaking of which.....who were all the rough c***s sat up there shouting abuse?!? Most of it was valid though to be fair......anyone to own up? :lol:

They've been giving it some from the back of the stand for years (even if we are 3 up).... A few of the OASIS (you be able to spot them as they sing a lot much to the disgust of those around them :grin: ) who sit in the main stand have had words with them on a few occasions.

Oh and one more point, If you think the main standers moan considerably more than any other part of the ground you'd be wrong.

I agree, seems a bit sad that some latics fans are fair game to be abused on here because of where they sit.

Think it was first ever main stand experience last night, and i can assure you i will not be going back.

Awful view, awful bogs and the people who sit in there are, well .. awful (not everyone, some!). Some guy was even suggesting we play Allott as a centre forward, i mean, come on! I think a graveyard has a better atmosphere than the MainStand.

Think it was first ever main stand experience last night, and i can assure you i will not be going back.

Awful view, awful bogs and the people who sit in there are, well .. awful (not everyone, some!). Some guy was even suggesting we play Allott as a centre forward, i mean, come on! I think a graveyard has a better atmosphere than the MainStand.

How can the view from the main stand be awful (unless you are directly behind a pillar).

In over 30 years of watching live football I have never had a better view of the whole match from behind a goal than you would get being on the side of the ground.

Oh and don't forget those 'awful' fans in the main stand got off their arses got down to BP, paid their £20 and made up part of around 2000+ who did so. Why knock the main standers when there were literally 1000s who usually turn up who didn't and even more than that that sat in front of Sky as usual. have a go at them instead. All this when Latics need as many through the door as possible.

And you judge the main stand on a night when there was only 2000+ in the whole ground.

As for the Allott at centre forward, are suggestions like that limited to just main standers?

The inverted snobbery and the 'we are better fans than you' attitude winds me up, as you can probably see.

Anybody, who ever they are, in what ever manner they want to support their team from a polite clap to standing up singing at the top of their voice, in whatever part of the ground, should be applauded for turning up and paying their money.

:angry::angry:

Oh and don't forget those 'awful' fans in the main stand got off their arses got down to BP, paid their £20 and made up part of around 2000+ who did so. Why knock the main standers when there were literally 1000s who usually turn up who didn't and even more than that that sat in front of Sky as usual. have a go at them instead. All this when Latics need as many through the door as possible.

And you judge the main stand on a night when there was only 2000+ in the whole ground.

As for the Allott at centre forward, are suggestions like that limited to just main standers?

The inverted snobbery and the 'we are better fans than you' attitude winds me up, as you can probably see.

Anybody, who ever they are, in what ever manner they want to support their team from a polite clap to standing up singing at the top of their voice, in whatever part of the ground, should be applauded for turning up and paying their money.

Hear! Hear!

I'll give the standard response on here - "If you don't like it, F*** off to Old Trafford".

Those who judge others by themselves are always troubled by their own deep rooted inadequacies.

It doesn't matter to me whether the stand is full of fat old ladies doing their knitting as long as it is full - maybe some people are carefully studying the game whilst other 'experts' are facing the opposing supporters and goading them with their childish dittys?

In nearly 40 years at BP and 80-odd other grounds I've shouted, screamed, laughed, cried, hurled abuse, sung, arrived in fancy dress, been thrown out, raged and sat silently. Which stand should I be sat in?

Get a grip and do things your way. Leave the others to do the same.

I don't think anybody has been offensively critical of the Main Stand inhabitants. More observing the differences, poking fun , and saying it's not for them. We've had comments about every part of the ground on the board and nearly all of it has been robustly good humoured. I'd certainly prefer someone to pay £20 to sit in Main Stand and doze than do it at home. And I think I'd prefer someone to pay £20 and shout at people from another town inside BP than do it in the street.

Over the years I've had seson tickets in both paddocks, the Main Stand, Broadway Stand, Chaddy and now RRE. I've moved as my circumstances, family etc have. And which atmosphere I find most acceptable to add to my enjoyment of the match. None are perfect but, given the truncated choice we have with three sides, Tuesday night confirmed that the Main Stand is not the place for me.

We are all part of the same family of Latics supporters - but just like our own families there are some whose company we prefer more than others!

Guest oa_exile
In nearly 40 years at BP and 80-odd other grounds I've shouted, screamed, laughed, cried, hurled abuse, sung, arrived in fancy dress, been thrown out, raged and sat silently.

BUT I noticed you have not streaked on the pitch :huh: which shows a lack of commitment. :lol:

BUT I noticed you have not streaked on the pitch :huh: which shows a lack of commitment. :lol:

:grin:

I considered it the other night, but decided there were enough cocks on display on the pitch already!

TBH, after seeing that guy doing it at Maine Rd a few years back - I really couldn't compete (In entertainment terms I mean) :D

:lol:

If you dont like my opinion then fine ... hence why it`s called an opinion!!!

So where exactly did i say i was better than those in there? Yes i said i thought it was awful, yes i thought some of the people in there were pathetic .. but i didnt mention anything about myself being so great, or how the Chaddy/RRE is the best thing since sliced bread. TBH, if you read up ive not really said anything different than people have posted .. non-exsistant atmosphere etc ... Mate, if i were you i`d stop throwing my toys out of the pram, just because someone has a different opinion to a stand.

Edited by kellys_discopants

You don't have to be happy to clap. I find there are many supporters prepared to put the effort in to applaud, either in appreciation of the action on the pitch or to the rhythm of the chants, but at this time of year, they cannot be heard because they wear gloves.

Now if someone could invent gloves with hard panels on the palms, the volume would be brilliant and it would give the effect of a crowd twice the size. I'm pretty sure they would be permitted under the Council's Safety Certificate.

In the absence of such an invention, are those of you with the muffled clap going to adapt your gloves to give the lads a loud hand? :applause1::applause1::applause1:

I don't think anybody has been offensively critical of the Main Stand inhabitants. More observing the differences, poking fun , and saying it's not for them. We've had comments about every part of the ground on the board and nearly all of it has been robustly good humoured. I'd certainly prefer someone to pay £20 to sit in Main Stand and doze than do it at home. And I think I'd prefer someone to pay £20 and shout at people from another town inside BP than do it in the street.

Over the years I've had seson tickets in both paddocks, the Main Stand, Broadway Stand, Chaddy and now RRE. I've moved as my circumstances, family etc have. And which atmosphere I find most acceptable to add to my enjoyment of the match. None are perfect but, given the truncated choice we have with three sides, Tuesday night confirmed that the Main Stand is not the place for me.

We are all part of the same family of Latics supporters - but just like our own families there are some whose company we prefer more than others!

I sit in the main stand - just above the tunnel - most of the people around me are older than me and granted the atmosphere is not too electric. But all are genuine fans who come week in week out and have followed the team for longer than most. It is the best view in the ground (especially as I sit on the front row where the leg room is also great btw) and after being in the RRE on Tuesday, I know which is right for my fading eyesight!

Every ground will have a variety of fan types - every team has its raucous fan and its quieter ones - every club has its moaners - it was ever thus.

:mainstand:

You don't have to be happy to clap. I find there are many supporters prepared to put the effort in to applaud, either in appreciation of the action on the pitch or to the rhythm of the chants, but at this time of year, they cannot be heard because they wear gloves.

Now if someone could invent gloves with hard panels on the palms, the volume would be brilliant and it would give the effect of a crowd twice the size. I'm pretty sure they would be permitted under the Council's Safety Certificate.

In the absence of such an invention, are those of you with the muffled clap going to adapt your gloves to give the lads a loud hand? :applause1::applause1::applause1:

Steel toe cap boots.........Now steel palmed gloves,great idea Diego but this could now be merged with the 'Marketing Ideas' thread

Your not thinking 4th dimensionally!

I will bring a pair of symbols to the next game (I'm a season ticket holder in the main stand) I can be the clubs number 1 Happy Clapper :applause1::applause1::applause1: Suggest other do the same it may stop a few of the pacemakers around me the average age is about 104 where I sit (It was 107 last season in the lookers upper) but when you gotta go then you gotta go plus given the choice most of them would I'm sure rather die watching the club they love.

Problem Solved! :chubb:

Edited by GlossopLatic

Your not thinking 4th dimensionally!

I will bring a pair of symbols to the next game (I'm a season ticket holder in the main stand) I can be the clubs number 1 Happy Clapper :applause1::applause1::applause1: Suggest other do the same it may stop a few of the pacemakers around me the average age is about 104 where I sit (It was 107 last season in the lookers upper) but when you gotta go then you gotta go plus given the choice most of them would I'm sure rather die watching the club they love.

Problem Solved! :chubb:

Sorry, I admire your ingenuity, but cymbals are prohibited under both the Ground Regulations and the Council's Safety Certificate. See, it's not that easy to solve what you perceive to be problems.

I still think we should get to grips with my gloves idea.

Sorry, I admire your ingenuity, but cymbals are prohibited under both the Ground Regulations and the Council's Safety Certificate. See, it's not that easy to solve what you perceive to be problems.

I still think we should get to grips with my gloves idea.

Thats a point could be a problem if we have a bobbins lino like against Leicester as I might be tempted to try and take his head off by throwing it like a frizby. I suppose that spells the end of the dream that is the boundary park percussion section with drummer boy aswell are we allowed triangles and tamberines though?