Midfield powerhouse needed

It has been obvious for a long time Latics need an extra power in central midfield, even if this means discarding one or both of the wide men.

Mayer has not been the answer and Whitaker is too lightweight.

If Taylor goes this must a priority in the transfer window.

It has been obvious for a long time Latics need an extra power in central midfield, even if this means discarding one or both of the wide men.

Mayer has not been the answer and Whitaker is too lightweight.

If Taylor goes this must a priority in the transfer window.

Not sure about a powerhouse but we definitely need a creative midfielder and to move away from 4 4 2 away from home.

I'm sure 3 5 2 or 4 3 3 is the answer on our travels as we seem to get overrun week after week!!

Depends what you mean by power, although I agree that the midfield is the area that needs strengthening the most. Especially with Shez's reluctance to use Stephens or Lee. Allott, Whitts and Maher are much of a muchness for me.

Oh for a Kilkenny or Wellens.

E4e

CRAFT

Not sure about a powerhouse but we definitely need a creative midfielder and to move away from 4 4 2 away from home.

I'm sure 3 5 2 or 4 3 3 is the answer on our travels as we seem to get overrun week after week!!

guessing here but have only 5 other teams lost fewer games than us away this season?

[/b]

guessing here but have only 5 other teams lost fewer games than us away this season?

Good, but not good enough for where we want to be.

We have our midfield powerhouse, we need a 'player' alongside him. Starting to lose hope for Whits - again....good, but not good enough for where we want to be.

Aye, he`s not an away player, dosent win enough balls etc. Hopefully the next two home games will be more his liking.

Absolutely spot on. And most of his goals come at home too. He's well out of his comfort zone on our travels and runs around like little boy lost. When we play at home teams don't tend to push out at us as much so he doesn't tend to get overrun.

It's a glaring chink in our armour and needs resolved ASAP.

If only we had a young player who's played right back for all his career but was moved to midfield for the last few games of a season and really impressed.

I'd agree with that Coco, but would be more inclined to perhaps have a go with one of the midfielders that Shez actually bought to strengthen the squad in the summer. It's defo an option though.

Whits is a good staedy L1 player, who has at times this season added something a bit different to our side with his linking runs up to & beyond the front 2.

BUT, as has been said he doesn't seem to do it away from home - when a 'yard dog' midfielder would be a better bet IMO, allowing our pacey winger to push on, link up & cause mayhem in the final 3rd.

Kevin Maher must really, really regret signing for us as he just hasn't been given a chance in this role IMO.

Home midfield at present should be (for me anyway!)

Smalley............Allott................Taylor

Whits

Away midfield should be

Allott.....Maher

Smalley.................................Taylor

In the 'home' midfield the Whits role can be allocated to Kieron Lee if whits form dips / injured / suspended; as from the games i've seen him play in, he looks like a midfielder who is more suited to a central role; and a 'pushed on' one at that too.

The shout about Eardley into midfield isn't a bad one - just that their are midfielders who aren't catching (& maybe should be) that surely have to be ahead of him - i'm meaning Maher, Lee & even Stephens. Plus Eards this season in his 1 outing in midfield looked a little fish out of water at 'Dale too.

We have the personelle, we just don't have the right formations / tactics at the moment...........i'm waiting for it to click though, as i have all season.......i can see me waiting a while longer too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! still you never know eh? roll on saturday - KTF

Lee IS a central midfielder thats the thing ive been saying for months! he is our creative link guy who can get back and tackle at the same time as he can play at full back if needed. ive said it before and ill say it again, an Allott/Lee midfield would work a treat. Maher fills in for Allott when Allott injured/suspended.

Shez just doesn't see it though, nice guy with all the best intentions and will to succeed in the world, but deep down i honestly dont think he can do it.

Former Denmark international Thomas Gravesen has announced his retirement from football after failing to find himself a new club.

The 32-year-old has been without a club since he was released by Celtic last summer, and he confirmed in December that he would consider his options in the New Year.

Gravesen, who spent five years at Everton before joining Real Madrid in 2005, has now opted to call time on his career.

He told Ekstra Bladet: "I have had 12 fantastic years abroad and played in four great countries.

"It has given me incredible experiences that I am grateful for. There are many people I would like to thank.

"If I could, I would do it all over again. But I am turning 33 in March, and therefore it is correct for me to finish now."

Gravesen's spokesman, John Sivebaek, added: "It is of cause sadness when such a good player ends his career, and I would have loved to see Thomas Gravesen continue for some more years.

"But I hope that people will respect his decision."

Source: http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...4855428,00.html

Quick, offer him a deal! :grin: