1. 1. Your favourite Latics decade ?

• 1940s and earlier
    • 1950s
    • 1960s
    • 1970s
    • 1980s
    • 1990s
    • 2000s

Although the 1990s (Championship, Premiership and cup comps, and 1960s (Bobby Johnstone) were brilliant for me, my vote goes to the 1970s, with memories of among others the flamboyance and frizzy hair of Alan Groves, the electrifying pace of David Shaw, the thunderbolt shooting of Maurice Whittle and the best header of a ball I've seen in a Latics shirt, Jim Fryatt.

I realise for younger members memories won't go too far back, but that's ok, just vote for the present decade if you wish.

Your chance to vote now, and tell us your memories of your favourite decade.

BP1960.

Edited by BP1960

Although the 1990s (Championship, Premiership and cup comps, and 1960s (Bobby Johnstone) were brilliant for me, my vote goes to the 1970s, with memories of among others the flamboyance and frizzy hair of Alan Groves, the electrifying pace of David Shaw, the thunderbolt shooting of Maurice Whittle and the best header of a ball I've seen in a Latics shirt, Jim Fryatt.

I realise for younger members memories won't go too far back, but that's ok, just vote for the present decade if you wish.

Your chance to vote now, and tell us your memories of you favourite decade.

BP1960.

Yep loved the 70's mysef BP1960. Fryatt, Shaw, Groves, Mcvitie, Dowd, Wood, Whittle, Tony Bailey (the signing that made the difference and got us promoted) and many others

However, none of the good times from the 70's, and there were many, can match what we achieved in the period 89-93. It really was a Royle blue era for Oldham Athletic. The cup runs, Wembley, promotion, that Match against Sheefield Wednesday, the great escape. Match after match queues around BP. I doubt we will ever see the likes again during my lifetime. If we get even close, I will die a happy man.

So it's a sort of split decision for me eighties & nineties :lol:

Cheers,

Harry

Just decided I can't vote for the nineties now.

I have only really seen us relegated twice (I'm too young to remember the relegationin in the 60's even though I went to games back then) and they were both in the 90's.

Can we have an option to vote for 1984-1993 please :grin:

Cheers,

Harry

Just decided I can't vote for the nineties now.

I have only really seen us relegated twice (I'm too young to remember the relegationin in the 60's even though I went to games back then) and they were both in the 90's.

Can we have an option to vote for 1984-1993 please :grin:

Cheers,

Harry

It's all about happy memories really, even in tough times there can be be some wonderful moments to savour.

I've only really been a regular from 1990 to 1994 and about 2002 to present. Wasn't much interested as a yoof (i.e. before 89), and in a piece of absolutely exemplary timing I was working away much of the time from 1994 to 2000.

For me, despite enjoying the glory years, I have appreciated and enjoyed the last 5 or 6 years more. Good times and bad, some good players to watch and some terrible, a false dawn, a fight for survival and a new dawn. And some really excellent away trips.

Got to be the 70's for me.

Although by no means our most successful period it's the decade I really remember enjoying watching Latics the most.

Due largely to the names mentioned by BP1960 above and particularly Groves, Shaw, Fryatt, Garwood, McVitie, Wood, Whittle, Dowd.

A great decade for the club under Jimmy Frizzell with promotion as Champions of the old 3rd Division in 73-74.

Judging by comments tonight and the expectations they belie, I'm trying to think of the decade when we played to the very best of our ability every single game, never lost away, never conceded, and won every home game 5-0.

It must have happened, otherwise everybody's expectations wouldn't be so incredibly high, but I'm racking my brains and can't for the life of me remember when it was.

:getmecoat:

Yep loved the 70's mysef BP1960. Fryatt, Shaw, Groves, Mcvitie, Dowd, Wood, Whittle, Tony Bailey (the signing that made the difference and got us promoted) and many others

However, none of the good times from the 70's, and there were many, can match what we achieved in the period 89-93. It really was a Royle blue era for Oldham Athletic. The cup runs, Wembley, promotion, that Match against Sheefield Wednesday, the great escape. Match after match queues around BP. I doubt we will ever see the likes again during my lifetime. If we get even close, I will die a happy man.

So it's a sort of split decision for me eighties & nineties :lol:

Cheers,

Harry

Definately the 2 best eras, The 70,S have just edged it for me as it seemed more of an age of innocence and the Players didnt seem as much on a Pedestal in those days.

Remember Alan Young going in the Railway in Royton, Grovesey living above his Shop on Hollins Road,Steve Taylor living up high Crompton,all very modest stuff.

Also,never forget the Adrenalyn when going to certain away games where you knew there was no segregation and you had to survive on your wits,never picked as many accents up as quick in my life!

Perhaps I look back through Rose tinted Specs,then again Nostalgia aint what it used to be is it?

The 89-93 had its ugly side e.g. the Club turuning its back on some of its long time sponsors,Johnny come lateleys being guaranteed tickets,Smug Reds invading the grounnd and more.

Edited by BLUMAX

Definately the 2 best eras, The 70,S have just edged it for me as it seemed more of an age of innocence and the Players didnt seem as much on a Pedestal in those days.

Remember Alan Young going in the Railway in Royton, Grovesey living above his Shop on Hollins Road,Steve Taylor living up high Crompton,all very modest stuff.

Also,never forget the Adrenalyn when going to certain away games where you knew there was no segregation and you had to survive on your wits,never picked as many accents up as quick in my life!

Perhaps I look back through Rose tinted Specs,then again Nostalgia aint what it used to be is it?

The 89-93 had its ugly side e.g. the Club turuning its back on some of its long time sponsors,Johnny come lateleys being guaranteed tickets,Smug Reds invading the grounnd and more.

Agree the 70's. Bottom of 4th division to solid second division under my alltime favourite Latic Sir James Letson Frizzell

Agree the 70's. Bottom of 4th division to solid second division under my alltime favourite Latic Sir James Letson Frizzell

86-91 favoutite memories - unbeatable at home, standing in the Chaddy, never been the same since. But as I was just entering my teenage years when we hit the heights and I was 17 when we were relegated from the Prem I didn't manage to 'enjoy' those times as well as I could have done. :drinking66::drinking45:

The best times were the late nineties, early noughties - some great away trips even the the footie was invariably :censored:e but that's when I managed to get to pretty much every game for a good six years or so. Some real highlights and some absolute nightmares.

I've gone for the 1950s - an age before I discovered cynicism.

As a kid growing up within crowd-hearing distance of BP, it was a magical time. There were no replica kits, so you showed your colours in the form of a knitted scarf and a rosette, or even a wooden rattle if you were really well-off. The double layers of the scarf enabled one part to be pushed up inside the other part to be worn as a hat, with the scarf end trailing down the back of your neck.

With my playmates I would go through Westwood Park to the grassed area which is now B&Q, and watch the players training. When the players ran to Tandle Hill, we ran with them. We went to Reserve games at BP to be kept in touch with the latest score from where the first team was playing, by announcements over the PA system.

I used to cut out pictures of visiting players from Charles Buchan's Football Monthly magazine, and collect autographs outside the official entance. On returning home after matches, we used to relive the afternoon's events with a ball in Coldhust Junior Schoolyard, Stansfield Street.

When former England captain George Hardwick signed for Latics, it was the equivalent of Backham joining us instead of going to play in America.To see him at close-hand in training and getting his autograph was very exciting.

Travelling by coach with my Uncle and cousin to Port Vale on Easter Saturday 1953, for a crucial point towards ending the season as Champions of the Third Division North was great, and travelling by train in 1956 with my schoolmates to watch the lads play Accrington Stanley in the F.A. Cup was a real adventure.

The Club was already part of the family and we considered ourselves part of the Club. Although there have been inumerable changes since those times, that aspect of following Latics has never changed.

Very happy days!

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

As a kid growing up within crowd-hearing distance of BP, it was a magical time. There were no replica kits, so you showed your colours in the form of a knitted scarf and a rosette, or even a wooden rattle if you were really well-off. The double layers of the scarf enabled one part to be pushed up inside the other part to be worn as a hat, with the scarf end trailing down the back of your neck.

With my playmates I would go through Westwood Park to the grassed area which is now B&Q, and watch the players training. When the players ran to Tandle Hill, we ran with them. We went to Reserve games at BP to be kept in touch with the latest score from where the first team was playing, by announcements over the PA system.

I used to cut out pictures of visiting players from Charles Buchan's Football Monthly magazine, and collect autographs outside the official entance. On returning home after matches, we used to relive the afternoon's events with a ball in Coldhust Junior Schcolyard, Stansfield Street.

When former England captain George Hardwick signed for Latics, it was the equivalent of Backham joining us instead of going to play in America.To see him at close-hand in training and getting his autograph was very exciting.

Travelling by coach with my Uncle and cousin to Port Vale on Easter Saturday 1953, for a crucial point towards ending the season as Champions of the Third Division North was great, and travelling by train in 1956 with my schoolmates to watch the lads play Accrington Stanley in the F.A. Cup was a real adventure.

The Club was already part of the family and we considered ourselves part of the Club. Although there have been inumerable changes since those times, that aspect of following Latics has never changed.

Very happy days!

Great Memories there Diego,albeit a few years before my time.

Must say,out of the lads I know who have followed Latics since the Seventies,A lot of them originate from the Westwood/Coldhurst/Northmoor and Busk area.Most of them have now moved down our end in Royton which,despite appearing to be full of Teletext Reds,is probably the main Latics Heartland now.

Great Memories there Diego,albeit a few years before my time.

Must say,out of the lads I know who have followed Latics since the Seventies,A lot of them originate from the Westwood/Coldhurst/Northmoor and Busk area.Most of them have now moved down our end in Royton which,despite appearing to be full of Teletext Reds,is probably the main Latics Heartland now.

I probably know their dads. :grin:

I used to cut out pictures of visiting players from Charles Buchan's Football Monthly magazine, and collect autographs outside the official entance. On returning home after matches, we used to relive the afternoon's events with a ball in Coldhust Junior Schcolyard, Stansfield Street.

Very happy days!

By gum, Diego, you've brought back some memories. I'd walk from home (just off Highbarn Road) with my mates to BP just to watch anything that might be going on. As a kid at school, I only ever wanted to be a goalkeeper and never ever played in any other position until I was too old to carry on, so it was always the keepers I watched the most. I remember my mate shouting "David Teece is coming out" so I ran up to him and was instantly struck dumb. He said "Hello" and I replied "Erm, ooh, aah, hmmm" or something like that.

The fifties were brilliant, tuppeny programmes that were no more than a sheet of paper folded over, just about every bloke in the crowd wearing a flat cap, brass band at half time, walking home with my Dad and our mates chatting about the game, buying Charles Buchan's Football Monthly like Diego in the hope that a Latics player would feature. Players like George Hardwick, Bill Naylor, Fred Ogden, George Burnett, Don Travis, Billy Spurdle et al. And the fear that they may not be re-elected when they had to apply to stay in the Third Div North, being upset at not making the Third Div when the Fourth Div started.

Happy days, sad days but fantastic memories like a trip to Denaby United in in the Cup. Oh yes, the fifties were magic.

Happy days, sad days but fantastic memories like a trip to Denaby United in in the Cup. Oh yes, the fifties were magic.

Do you remember Brimelow's cough tablets and mintoes being sold from a vendor walking round the pitch?

In the game which determined that we'd be amongst the founder members of the Fourth Division the following season, the ref disallowed a goal and a bloke threw his lunchbox on the pitch in disgust. Then he realised he'd be in trouble with his wife when he got home without it, so he went on the pitch to retrieve it and was promptly arrested! :laught16:

Happy days indeed.

60s for me. It seems to sum up so much of Latics. From my first match in 1960, losing at home to Millwall, being in 92nd place, through to the end of 1969, when, again we were struggling. Yet a roller coaster of excitement, hope, big crowds , small crowds, disappointment, success - the Latics of yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

The arrival of Jack Rowley as manager, his bringing in Bobby Johnstone, Bert Lister, Ken branagan, Colin whiitaker etc - storming to promotion in 1963, winning 11-0, average crowds of over 14,000.....

Then toying with further promotion the season after...then a decline ...until Ken Bates arrives and we become money bags.....new kit colours....boom ... and then nearly bust....and Jack Rowley returns but can't work the magic a second time.

Going to watch Latics training...collecting autographs...travelling away on Yelloway coaches or Barlows....

Edited by LaticsPete

The '70's for me. Rising from the ashes of re-election battles with two promotions (including a championship); playing U*d on equal terms at BP and beating them; Sir Jimmy and some great players (most of whom have been mentioned above); sitting on the wall in the Broadway Paddock; sneaking under the Chaddy End during games; peggin' off school to watch the Latics training, making my dad drive 150 miles to midweek home games just so I could sit in class the following day reading the programme to wind up the armchair fans at school; the Liverpool cup tie and hundreds more :)

Obviously the "Glory Years" will never be forgotten, or repeated(?), but for me the '70's was a magical time.

For you Guys who have voted 2000 onwards my hat goes off to you,fair enough 2 play offs in that time,Eyrsie,Shez (The Player),Stretch,Hughsie and SuperClyde but hell of a lot of downers in this period!

Proper Fans who will put their money where their mouth is,I salute you all!

between 89 - 91 were class as a kid, sat on the barrier at the front of the chaddy, on the pitch for Redfearns pen. had a season ticket for the chaddy in the prem days and wasn't the same sat next to the old man as it was on the barriers - 30 a side in the clayton beforehand. happy days...

the season we lost to QPR was the closest I've felt to having any where near the team we had back in the day and missed only a couple of games all season but happiest was as a nipper between 89-94, just wished I'd have savioured it more - little did i realise that 5 years down the I'd be away at Colchester on a tuesday night - for those older, there was probably always a knowledge that we were punching above aour weight but at the time I took it all for granted, jsut hope the younger fans now get to experience some of the days/nights we had - memories to the grave and all that :disappointed:

between 89 - 91 were class as a kid, sat on the barrier at the front of the chaddy, on the pitch for Redfearns pen. had a season ticket for the chaddy in the prem days and wasn't the same sat next to the old man as it was on the barriers - 30 a side in the clayton beforehand. happy days...

the season we lost to QPR was the closest I've felt to having any where near the team we had back in the day and missed only a couple of games all season but happiest was as a nipper between 89-94, just wished I'd have savioured it more - little did i realise that 5 years down the I'd be away at Colchester on a tuesday night - for those older, there was probably always a knowledge that we were punching above aour weight but at the time I took it all for granted, jsut hope the younger fans now get to experience some of the days/nights we had - memories to the grave and all that :disappointed:

Enjoy every moment in the moment - if only I had realised too :huh:

One of the shortest-lived enjoyable 'moments' was between Mike Cecere scoring the second goal against dirty Leeds in the second leg of the Play-off, and then that away goal! :disappointed:

Yes DS those moments were memorable. Although that away goal was crushing, surely it can't be compared to THAT other goal, can it? :bigcry:

Anyway, back on topic. A big turning point in my life as a Latics fan was after we signed Frankie Bunn mid-season (1988-1989?). We went on an amazing run home AND away (which always seemed to be our downfall) culminating in the Pinch Me season and the Div. One winning season. I, too, would have voted for late-80s to early 90s if there was a category.

As for the pick of all moments, Ritchie's equaliser at Southampton has to one of them for its significance alone.

With ya there mate ... my pick of moments would be nick henry's goal v arsenal and his thumbs up celebration and the look of shock on Henry's face when it went in ... and the Season we stayed up v southampton .. nothing to do with the match ... just the feeling .. brilliant