sheridan - i reckon he's gonna go

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very true,but its the coaching staff who signs them,trains them,picks the team,motivates them,give them instructions,makes decisions at a moments notice to them ,etc etc.

the buck stops with them.

Whilst we are in uncertain economic times, i'll compromise with you Johnny, Sack the feckin' lot then :grin:

(Only joking for the purists!!)

And it's not as though we've got a pitiful fitness regime that has left us out of shape and gash for the last third of the previous two seasons!

The impressive stat about not conceding late goals would be a better testament to the fitness regime. :lol:

This season, Sheridan has had more or less everything he as asked for within reason player wise.

He has no excuses

For only being in the play-offs? Or for Hughes missing a pen and Windass a sitter?

That is my wallpaper not on the pc but I am redecorating the front room as we speak!!! lmao.

Post of the year for sure that well done.

I assume you didn't take part in the clapping at the halftime whistle.

Do people really think we have got that good a squad all it will take is a new man at the helm for the last few games and its promotion time?

FFS yes shez makes mistakes etc blah blah blah but he is working with a limited squad and resources and anyone else coming in to the job will be too so dont expect them to perform miracles. Id be preparing yourselves for the same old same old, nearly there but not quite, with Shez or without Shez. Unless we get some serious cash, promotion for Latics will never be easy or a certainty whoever is in charge.

I am starting to lose patience with Shezs selections and tactics, but I am also starting to realise that we dont have a good enough squad of players that gives us a god given right to get promotion. We never will when we are relying on free transfers and loans.

as much as i'm getting dissapointed with shez, all the names mentioned dont seem to tick the box of instant effect managers, if we did get rid off shez, which i think keeping would cost us the best chance of promotion we've had in years, are we really saying these managers would come in and push us through, i'm not sure, maybe an older head might, but i just think we have no oprtion but to keep him and let him go in the summer!

I think lets see what the end of the season yields then if no playoffs (surely minimum expectancy) i go for .........

ian holloway

as much as i'm getting dissapointed with shez, all the names mentioned dont seem to tick the box of instant effect managers, if we did get rid off shez, which i think keeping would cost us the best chance of promotion we've had in years, are we really saying these managers would come in and push us through, i'm not sure, maybe an older head might, but i just think we have no oprtion but to keep him and let him go in the summer!

I think you're right.

Still not the time to change the manager, but Shez doesn't get the best out of the talented squad he has at his disposal.

BUT: A phone call to Gannon to say "don't take the Brighton job because we'll probably have work for you in June" wouldn't go amiss.

Gannon's record is something like 38 points in 23 games (season one, saved them from what looked like certain relegation from the league), 71 in season 2, 82 and a play off win in season 3 and 51 in 33 games this season which projects to 71 points as well.

On virtually nil resource.

So from joining the likes of Altrincham and Droylsden he's put them within striking distance of Derby, Wolves and Birmingham in the space of 3 years.

Boothroyd thinks he's better than this division.

Holloway's a to$$er.

Adams always struck me as a good manager, even though Brighton ditched him.

Paul Jewell strikes me as a loser.

Not a great deal of talent out there that meets the key criteria:

1) Is better than what we've got.

2) Would come to Oldham.

3) Is affordable.

what i heared tonight he might be gone tomorrow well today if you look at the time ( it be weds) heard sure it was hardy say out then blitz nodded his head to say yes. i was sat behind of directors box

maybe he was just asking him if he was up for going on the piss after the game???

:rant.sml: OK here goes....Gutted, Frustrated, Angry etc etc... family followed latics for years 4th generation of regulars..no other team for us but not managed to keep up the attendance this season (beyond my control) as I would like BUT having backed, defended, argued etc etc that things will come right under Shez i'm within a day convinced thats bollocks.

Whats so upsetting for me is its "TYPICAL" Latics and how many times over the years with whatever management has the team predictably cocked it up when appearing to have turned the corner. Is it the case like myself that I haven't been to the games as regularly then you read the reports, and suddenly get to the point of not missing it as much as you thought because it ain't value for money within the context of a family life and above all the team is doing exactly what you have come to expect.

I have argued Windass is worth his place, I'M WRONG. I have argued that Lids, Hughes etc are worth a place I'M WRONG. so it goes on...Back the Lads I have said..we are 4th we can do it...(ok this makes me look crazy but its how I feel today)

WHAT the hell is going on when you end up going to a tribunal to sign Stephens and he doesn' even get a sniff. You think Flemming is going to be a star then he's replaced by a 3rd choice keeper from your own division? Eardley good enough (ok dubious) to captain Wales u21 but finds himself behind Hines, etc? who appears to offer anything better, lets face it he has only played 3 times for boro. We sign Jones (who I rate) but hes injured? We sign Fabio after having him on trial for a week (IMPRESSING!!!!!) thinking about it then not involved? Keiran Lee why is he here. Maher does great and out he goes?

What do I expect from Latics, simple effort like at Leicester giving it a go. But its as if we are so arrogant that we think we can roll over the "lesser sides" whoever they might be. Personally I was supporting Shez up to end of season but IF a miracle happened and we went up we would be straight back down again time to change....AND I DONT MEAN INTERNALLY! Sorry Shez great midfielder but you lack something tactically and I dont think you even know what your best team is and getting the feeling you can't change it. I slagged Ronnie for no plan B but at the moment we cant agree on plan A.

As said elsewhere dump Hughes its obvious hes off come summer whatever happens. Taylor will go to make up the losses and off we go again. Very sad this morning.

As for Jewell .......NO!!!!! Dowie..will never happen... Roeder get lost... Boothroyd wouldn't come to us... turned down better opportunities, Holloway...lol....Adams hardly convincing. But who?

PS(Incidently this is 100% true my dad was at BP the week Stich was dumped and a club official said he's being let down by the senior pros not doing whats expected of them.... funny how one of the then senior pros is being let down as manager.) :rant.sml:

Great post, well put. What the rose-tinted brigade don't realise is that many of the guys becoming disillusioned are the bread and butter of the club who try to get everywhere, that have backed the club through the thickest, the thinnest and even anorexic times. This is why this season is so important, we know it is our best chance since the Dowie season and in true Latics style we are making a right John Halls of it. Too many fans sit there and hope it'll be alright in the end, but we know it won't. We know how the story ends - the same suspects were bleating on about how we'd sneak into the play-offs last season. We knew we weren't good enough but people are too quick to dismiss fans with decades of experience following their team. We're wise enough to know the short-comings and unfortunately we know already how this season's story will end...

Holloway would be an utter disaster and Boothroyd wouldn't come. The only guy I would want at this club is Dowie and we know that will never happen.

After that i'm at a loss, but it doesn't mean he shouldn't go if we don't get promotion.

Desite Dowie being a tosspot of the highest order, I can see him being somewhat humbler than he was and motivation was always his speciality.

:rant.sml: OK here goes....Gutted, Frustrated, Angry etc etc... family followed latics for years 4th generation of regulars..no other team for us but not managed to keep up the attendance this season (beyond my control) as I would like BUT having backed, defended, argued etc etc that things will come right under Shez i'm within a day convinced thats bollocks.

Whats so upsetting for me is its "TYPICAL" Latics and how many times over the years with whatever management has the team predictably cocked it up when appearing to have turned the corner. Is it the case like myself that I haven't been to the games as regularly then you read the reports, and suddenly get to the point of not missing it as much as you thought because it ain't value for money within the context of a family life and above all the team is doing exactly what you have come to expect.

I have argued Windass is worth his place, I'M WRONG. I have argued that Lids, Hughes etc are worth a place I'M WRONG. so it goes on...Back the Lads I have said..we are 4th we can do it...(ok this makes me look crazy but its how I feel today)

WHAT the hell is going on when you end up going to a tribunal to sign Stephens and he doesn' even get a sniff. You think Flemming is going to be a star then he's replaced by a 3rd choice keeper from your own division? Eardley good enough (ok dubious) to captain Wales u21 but finds himself behind Hines, etc? who appears to offer anything better, lets face it he has only played 3 times for boro. We sign Jones (who I rate) but hes injured? We sign Fabio after having him on trial for a week (IMPRESSING!!!!!) thinking about it then not involved? Keiran Lee why is he here. Maher does great and out he goes?

What do I expect from Latics, simple effort like at Leicester giving it a go. But its as if we are so arrogant that we think we can roll over the "lesser sides" whoever they might be. Personally I was supporting Shez up to end of season but IF a miracle happened and we went up we would be straight back down again time to change....AND I DONT MEAN INTERNALLY! Sorry Shez great midfielder but you lack something tactically and I dont think you even know what your best team is and getting the feeling you can't change it. I slagged Ronnie for no plan B but at the moment we cant agree on plan A.

As said elsewhere dump Hughes its obvious hes off come summer whatever happens. Taylor will go to make up the losses and off we go again. Very sad this morning.

As for Jewell .......NO!!!!! Dowie..will never happen... Roeder get lost... Boothroyd wouldn't come to us... turned down better opportunities, Holloway...lol....Adams hardly convincing. But who?

PS(Incidently this is 100% true my dad was at BP the week Stich was dumped and a club official said he's being let down by the senior pros not doing whats expected of them.... funny how one of the then senior pros is being let down as manager.) :rant.sml:

Don't agree with everything but lots! I too have backed the players , and will always reject the ignorant abuse that's levelled at them by some on here, and backed Shez. However it's now a Road to Damascus moment for Shez. He must see that his tactics aren't working on far too many occasions, and there are times when a gamble has to be made.

Someone mentioned going to 3-4-3 when 2-0 down. Might be worth it. Throw Lee or Stephens into the mix. Gambles are just that and I woirry that if he does, and they don't pay off, the usual suspects will be back throwing abuse about. I really believe that there are some posters on here that are happier when we lose or play badly.

Anyway, it's 78 hrs till the end of the match at Millwall. That's the next point of reference!

Holloway would be an utter disaster and Boothroyd wouldn't come. The only guy I would want at this club is Dowie and we know that will never happen.

After that i'm at a loss, but it doesn't mean he shouldn't go if we don't get promotion.

think your pretty much spot on there,

Boothroyd will be sniffing for a championship club

Holloway - well what the hell has he done at any club hes been to???

Dowie - Not that he would come here, but if for whatever reason he did, and had the same funds at his disposal as sheridan, I think he would get us up

Jewel - Again dont think he would drop to this level, and is good mates with Sheridan

Ince - Pulled off nothing short of a miracle to keep macclesfield up, and shown what he can do when given some spending power at Blackburn, I wouldn't be too dissappointed with that appointment should shez go

Edited by Lookers_Carl

This may look the cheap option but what about Tommy Wright? He's working on his coaching badges and he may have different methods than Shez. I like his interviews, he actually sounds focused and speaks sense. I know you can't truly tell someone's management calibre through capsule interviews every now and again, but would Tommy Wright be such a bad appointment?

I'd certainly prefer him to someone with big budget 'wants' like Dowie, Ince or Holloway. Aidy Boothroyd would be my first choice, but I think we may be aiming a bit high personally.

This may look the cheap option but what about Tommy Wright? He's working on his coaching badges and he may have different methods than Shez. I like his interviews, he actually sounds focused and speaks sense. I know you can't truly tell someone's management calibre through capsule interviews every now and again, but would Tommy Wright be such a bad appointment?

I'd certainly prefer him to someone with big budget 'wants' like Dowie, Ince or Holloway. Aidy Boothroyd would be my first choice, but I think we may be aiming a bit high personally.

I'm not sure, I think Tommy is too close to Shez to even contemplate taking his job. I'd prefer a complete overhaul with Shez, Tommy and Dux leaving. Why? The mentality within the club is wrong, a coach and manager being close to the team is ok but there needs to be a line. Under Stitch we had the same problem, being pally with a team causes problems when you need to kick arse and resulting in the back chat Shez regularly gets. Ok Talbot was a tit but would he have put up with that? Moore wouldn't have, Dowie would have disciplined them no danger and Uncle Joe would have had them out the door so fast...Discipline is lacking and there seems to be a grey area just who is the almighty at the club. Complete change i'm afraid - when the time comes.

I dunno. I'd just like someone totally new to come in and take a look at the ability of this squad, who knows, there may be things going on behind close doors with these guys mentality that we know nothing about, but I think Shez has got utterly blinkered with opinions on some players... and I cant help but think that inluence/opinion would spread throughout his team.

I have no doubt we have the ability in our team to get out of this division, however the reason why we are stuttering has to be at the door of the entire first team coaching team... whatever it is...

I think if we were to get rid of him, an unknown may be our best bet... sounds a little haphazard I know, but a coach or backroom team member that has been involved at a much higher level, and has seen some top proffessional methods, and has seen how top players 'make it' - and in turn can motivate a team to succeed.... a Brendan Rodgers/Lee Clarke/Aidy B type person....

I just dont want someone who has any preconcived concept of our team... just someone who will come in afresh and see who the dross is and the potential in the palyers we have....

Someone has mentioned Paul Ince. I'm sure that would annoy a lot, but I would frigging love that. Rocket up the arse central.

I'm not sure, I think Tommy is too close to Shez to even contemplate taking his job. I'd prefer a complete overhaul with Shez, Tommy and Dux leaving. Why? The mentality within the club is wrong, a coach and manager being close to the team is ok but there needs to be a line. Under Stitch we had the same problem, being pally with a team causes problems when you need to kick arse and resulting in the back chat Shez regularly gets. Ok Talbot was a tit but would he have put up with that? Moore wouldn't have, Dowie would have disciplined them no danger and Uncle Joe would have had them out the door so fast...Discipline is lacking and there seems to be a grey area just who is the almighty at the club. Complete change i'm afraid - when the time comes.

I acknowledge that is a potential problem, but by the same token we could end up with someone who's much more distant, like Ronnie for example. It's a fine line.

I think with Shez, and Stitch is they were managing former team-mates which lends itself to the idea of over-friendlyness. I'd see Tommy as a bit different myself.

Someone more experienced, i dont get all this Boothroyd stuff what has he done?? Someone who knows how to get out of league 1 BUT who god knows

Promotion in his first season to the Greedy League, followed by a relegation from said league and then a failed attempt at the play-offs, losing to eventual winners; Hull.

We could do worse. I figure his sights are set a little higher than us.

Exactly. Whatever you think about them, when Sharp resigned such names would have been queueing up for interviews at BP. Probably in the Chris Moore days too.

This is what happens when you allow a club to get bogged down in the lower divisions and your stature as a club declines.

LAST SWANSONG FOR BIG JOE!! Quote from recent gmr interview 'Id love to get back into football but im running out of teams that play in blue'

!!

However, although too young to see the glory years i know from passed down experience from family that he also made cock ups/ wasnt great all the time etc.

To be honest all managers are crap bar the top 8 in the prem, they all do well at 1 club and live off that reputation in subsequent years with clubs hoping they can repeat it at their club. It never happens as their downsides in whatever area are their ultimate failings. I think all this notion of bages takes them away from the simple realities of the game as we as fans see it. Its an easy game and Shez et al make it much more difficult than it really is.

Football eh?......

Edited by shefflatic

LAST SWANSONG FOR BIG JOE!! Quote from recent gmr interview 'Id love to get back into football but im running out of teams that play in blue'

!!

However, although too young to see the glory years i know from passed down experience from family that he also made cock ups/ wasnt great all the time etc.

To be honest all managers are crap bar the top 8 in the prem, they all do well at 1 club and live off that reputation in subsequent years with clubs hoping they can repeat it at their club. It never happens as their downsides in whatever area are their ultimate failings. I think all this notion of bages takes them away from the simple realities of the game as we as fans see it. Its an easy game and Shez et al make it much more difficult than it really is.

Football eh?......

yes he did make cock ups every now and again....played players out of position at times.....very exciting at times as well...you just had the mentality that if they scored 3 we would score 4 etc etc...

of course he would be welcomed home with open arms and all the old songs would come flooding back....but maybe it has been too long,and maybe at this exact time he might not be the answer we are looking for.

JUst out of interest, did we ever get the sports psychologist in in the end? If so then i think someone should check out how legitimate his CV is

The players looked hypnotised in the 2nd half last night, perhaps Bristol Rovers 2 goals sent them into a trance and the psychologist wasn't in the ground to snap his fingers to bring them out of it ? :shock:

If so I hope they find him before the Millwall game :wink:

Edited by BP1960