The ones that got away

I've read in the paper today that Everton are about to sign Coventry's "highly regarded" keeper Kieran Westwood. We had Westwood on loan in 2004 from Man City where he was 3rd or 4th choice keeper at the time. Carlisle signed him on a free from City after he had been with us (without ever making a first team appearance) and he has never looked back since.

This set me off thinking who else we have had on loan, or perhaps released as a kid, who has gone on to do great things and we have missed out on? I'm not including the likes of Micah Richards here, who hopefully we will get some money out of at somepoint.

I've read in the paper today that Everton are about to sign Coventry's "highly regarded" keeper Kieran Westwood. We had Westwood on loan in 2004 from Man City where he was 3rd or 4th choice keeper at the time. Carlisle signed him on a free from City after he had been with us (without ever making a first team appearance) and he has never looked back since.

This set me off thinking who else we have had on loan, or perhaps released as a kid, who has gone on to do great things and we have missed out on? I'm not including the likes of Micah Richards here, who hopefully we will get some money out of at somepoint.

Might as well wheel out Sami Hyppia even though the way I heard it was very different to Sharp's version of events

Wasn't it Sharp that didn't rate him although later on I read that it was somekind of breakdown in communication. Didn't we have Andy Grey on loan in 99 who has since carved out a respectable career at championship level.

Common misconception, Sharp wanted him, Stott wouldn't pay the peanuts his club wanted! (Which was bollocks as we'd just sold Jobbo, so were flush) What is more frustrating is that they coughed up £350K for Jigsaw Barlow and we ended up with Michelle Vonk on loan who did very well but was recalled and it took us another year before we brought in a commanding centre-half (Garnett)

I seem to remember a prolific goalscorer for St. Kitts called (I think) Roy Gumbs. We couldn't get a work permit for him because St. Kitts wasn't high enough in the FIFA rankings (I reckon Chelsea or Man. U would have got one though) and then went on to play for some other European country whose civil servants weren't as officious as ours.

I seem to remember a prolific goalscorer for St. Kitts called (I think) Roy Gumbs. We couldn't get a work permit for him because St. Kitts wasn't high enough in the FIFA rankings (I reckon Chelsea or Man. U would have got one though) and then went on to play for some other European country whose civil servants weren't as officious as ours.

Keith Gumbs. Played for Palmeiras for 38 matches and a series of other teams.

Edited by LaticsPete

Common misconception, Sharp wanted him, Stott wouldn't pay the peanuts his club wanted! (Which was bollocks as we'd just sold Jobbo, so were flush) What is more frustrating is that they coughed up £350K for Jigsaw Barlow and we ended up with Michelle Vonk on loan who did very well but was recalled and it took us another year before we brought in a commanding centre-half (Garnett)

My version says that Sharp wanted to extend the trial with a view to signing but Hyppia got a firm offer from Willem IV in Holland, where his best mate played and took the firm offer

He was quality. Absolute quality.

Think of the kids at Boundary Park Juniors who GOT AWAY !!!

The TOWN may have, b :wink: but not the club unfortunately.

That's why i really believe that local junior, amateur, semi pro football teams should be affiliated to their towns professional club but that's another discussion...better with lots of ale and the right company :wink: and also we do not have a forward thinking FA in this country and therefore any such proposal would be completely 'black-balled', due to an immediate greed of seeing lots of global names on our television screens, playing for ALL top premgreed clubs.

Am I ranting? Too Feckin' right!

The TOWN may have, b :wink: but not the club unfortunately.

That's why i really believe that local junior, amateur, semi pro football teams should be affiliated to their towns professional club but that's another discussion...better with lots of ale and the right company :wink: and also we do not have a forward thinking FA in this country and therefore any such proposal would be completely 'black-balled', due to an immediate greed of seeing lots of global names on our television screens, playing for ALL top premgreed clubs.

Am I ranting? Too Feckin' right!

I think youve had too many red wines you pal!!!!!

Wasn't it Sharp that didn't rate him although later on I read that it was somekind of breakdown in communication. Didn't we have Andy Grey on loan in 99 who has since carved out a respectable career at championship level.

The tale Sharp tells is that he met Hypia at Liverpool whilst commentating, and Hypia said to him "I bet you're sorry you didn't sign me when you had the chance" Sharp says that he wanted to sign Hypia after his trial and left the negotiaitions with Stott. He didn't hear anything more for some time. When he asked Stott what had happened, Stott told him that Hypia had changed his mind about coming over to England. However Hypia said that he had wanted to come to Oldham, but Oldham hadn't bothered to come after him.