Maher or whittaker

Forte_Baby

Maher or Whittaker  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather start for Oldham

• Kevin Maher
    • Danny Whitaker

Ok for those who where not at the game yesterday some of us on the back row had to put up with some annoying female going on about how bad Maher how he his not fit to wear the shirt and how Danny Whitaker should start each match.

Whitaker brought more to the team when Alessandra was in the side.

After a very promising start to his Latics career, he has become significantly less effective when selected.

Maher, on the other hand ... I now understand why Southend fans rate him so highly.

Some awful delivery when he got games earlier in the season. Much more accurate of late and an excellent shielding defender.

Maher for me, now he has been given a run in the team he is starting to show us what he can do. Whittaker has scored a few cracking goals but i dont really see what he offers us when we're struggling like we have been for the last month or so. I feel much more confident with Maher in the team than i do when Whitts is, and by judging from the votes cast so far it would seem that so are other latics fans.

Ok for those who where not at the game yesterday some of us on the back row had to put up with some annoying female going on about how bad Maher how he his not fit to wear the shirt and how Danny Whitaker should start each match.

:behead: I'm sure Alex will be along to had comment soon. It's every match Tom, if its not Maher it's someone else ... god forbid you say anything bad about Deano in her earshot.

Basically, I dont rate Whittaker at all. I think Maher and Allot are too similar and that is why Shez often only picks Allot at home, but Maher is better than Whits. Maher wants the ball more than Whittaker, and puts himself about more. The only problem is I think Allot and Maher as a partnership is a bit too defensive at home.

Its not even a debate.

Maher - controls games from midfield, and has exactly the type of know-how and experience we need for a promotion run in.

Whits - Goes missing constantly, and got relegated last season with Port Vale.

Time for players who want to get stuck in and are up for the fight. Casper isnt one of them. Injuries/suspensions only now i'm afraid... he's the new Gary Mac.

Its not even a debate.

Maher - controls games from midfield, and has exactly the type of know-how and experience we need for a promotion run in.

Whits - Goes missing constantly, and got relegated last season with Port Vale.

Time for players who want to get stuck in and are up for the fight. Casper isnt one of them. Injuries/suspensions only now i'm afraid... he's the new Gary Mac.

And a poor man's Gary Mac at that, at least Gary Mac put in a shift away from home. Said it when we signed him - 4th division player, he's not proved me wrong either, despite his purple patch at the start of the season. When the going got tough, Danny got on his bike and hid...

Edited by oafcprozac

So I'm quite clearley in a massive minority :lol: .......... but I think Whittaker is the only player who offers a goal threat from the centre of midfield. Maybe I'm just too much attack minded.

maher

if you want a goal threat midfield you have allott,can hit a sublime shot when the need arises,just look at huddersfield away..

whittacker is gash,started well but soon lost the plot,runs around a lot not really doing much except ball watching,wont get stuck in and cant shield very well...

maher all the way till end of season now unless he gets injured...if shez drops him again in favour of whitts he really doesnt know what hes doing.

So I'm quite clearley in a massive minority :lol: .......... but I think Whittaker is the only player who offers a goal threat from the centre of midfield. Maybe I'm just too much attack minded.

Not sure what a massive majority is :wink: . They are such different players that it's basically asking what type of football you think we should play as much as comparing them as individuals. Alessandra was key to Whits playing well, with Lewis dropping and Whitaker going past him into space down the middle. Maher needs options out wide and then you want the front men to be staying forward to get on the end of it. The fact is that we have been hurt most by being outbattled in midfield this season (and others) so for me Maher is a no-brainer. Doesn't make Whitaker a bad player and he seems like a really decent lad as well, just a luxury at times.

:behead: I'm sure Alex will be along to had comment soon. It's every match Tom, if its not Maher it's someone else ... god forbid you say anything bad about Deano in her earshot.

I dont know what you mean Mark. I think the person in question has some of the most reasonable, rational and sensible football opinions I have heard on a football terrace