For the under 20s

Most comments on here regarding the return of Big Joe refer back to the glory days but I'd be really interested to hear what the youngsters make about us bringing him back

I'm so excited but that's because I can remember back to Wembley and the Prem.

Those who never got to winess those halcyon days should be able to be more objective. Are they still as excited as the rest of us?

I'm excited! I'm 19 and i don't remember Joe's first reign at BP at all. The reason i'm excited is because people who i know who normally show indifference to most things are suddenley like excited kids. The buzz that's going around at the moment is incredible, i'm used to everyone being disgruntled or generally unbothered about whats going on at the club so for the majority of people to be this excited is great! I think it's different for the young ones because we know Oldham as a low league club and we love the club anyway. Must be very frustrating fo the older generation who remember the glory days :grin:

Im 22 and too young to remember watching his teams even tho i did attend a few when i was young.

However i did read his autobiography a few years ago.

Im really happy that he is here and think its the prrfect solution to our problems right now.

However im not getting carried away. Times have changes and he hasnt been in management for a while.

Should give us thatn extra push for 9 games tho.

19, im really pleased hes back. Ive seen all the dvd's/videos from 'the years' so i know a bit about how joe did things. I hope it ends the way we want it to, id hate to see us get so far and then not make it, but if it did happen it wouldnt change the view on joe - hes come in temporarily so we cant expect miracles all of a sudden.

It'll just be great to see him in the technical box one last time (if he doesnt stay on after this season) and be able to say ive seen us play under royle, even if he is a bigger guy and greyer hair this time around.!!

Edited by shefflatic

I'm 20 and don't remember anything to do with Joe, really. I saw one game just before we were relegated, and then was hooked from the first season in Division One. I still remember a few of the games, though anything about tactics and style would have been completely over my head. I've grown up though on videos and stories of the promotion season, of staying up against the odds, of cup semi-finals and finals. Stuck in League One for the majority of my Latics supporting life, I genuinely feel like I've 'missed out'. And no-one could blame us for thinking it won't happen again, or at least not for a very long time.

But now it may do. We're not going to Wembley (yet!), we're not winning the league...but I now feel I have the chance to share in something that I've only ever been told about and seen videos of. It feels as if I'll get to share in something which I didn't think I would...which is rather nonsensical really bearing in mind that it will be the same players I've seen all season, playing in two divisions below where Joe had led us to.

What I do think is that ultimately the younger generation will be disappointed. The impression on here is that under Joe we were unbeatable, leaving everyone in our wake. Well that's not completely true, is it? All the talk is of the glory days and the wonderful cup runs etc, but that ignores what I can only assume were a number of bad days too. I do worry that the expectation level is too high, not necessarily amongst those who saw his teams in the early 90s, but amongst those of us who have only heard stories of the good times and how wonderful a manager Joe Royle was. I think the first time we get a poor result will be a shock to a lot of us.

Not that I care. I'm still buzzing. On Saturday, for the first time that I can appreciate, I'll be going to BP to watch a Latics team managed by Joe Royle. And I can't bloody wait...

Edited by jsslatic

If somebody could fill me in on what happened in the early 90's it would be appreciated as im still hazy from all the ACEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDD!!!!!!

That reminds me of when we played Arsenal at home. 1-1 draw and 'spittinggate'. I just recall seeing 22 blokes kicking a great big purple and green blob of goo around, and Captain Pugwash did the half time draw. Tripping my tits off and no sleep after a night at Butterflies.

Halycon days.

That reminds me of when we played Arsenal at home. 1-1 draw and 'spittinggate'. I just recall seeing 22 blokes kicking a great big purple and green blob of goo around, and Captain Pugwash did the half time draw. Tripping my tits off and no sleep after a night at Butterflies.

Halycon days.

Them were the days!

Most comments on here regarding the return of Big Joe refer back to the glory days but I'd be really interested to hear what the youngsters make about us bringing him back

I'm so excited but that's because I can remember back to Wembley and the Prem.

Those who never got to winess those halcyon days should be able to be more objective. Are they still as excited as the rest of us?

i am soo fed up with what has happened. the fact joe royle is our manager to the end of this season seems to me that latics have made a panic reaction and i cant really understand why we have sacked john sheridan. i know joe royle is a club legend tho i have been told his tactics involve a lot of long passes and this is something i dont like

i am soo fed up with what has happened. the fact joe royle is our manager to the end of this season seems to me that latics have made a panic reaction and i cant really understand why we have sacked john sheridan. i know joe royle is a club legend tho i have been told his tactics involve a lot of long passes and this is something i dont like

Yeah, the ball into the oppos half asap, the ball spread wide and a long pass straight onto the striker's head. You have much to learn young one...

Edited by oafcprozac

Yeah, the ball into the oppos half asap, the ball spread wide and a long pass straight onto the striker's head. You have much to learn young one...

30, one thing you will see is overlapping fullbacks, jones and eardley get ready to do some running

Don't worry mate, you will be converted soon enough I tell ya.

'An up and down season' with Big Joe.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3 (without audio track):

Part 4: (without audio track)

Sorry Maddog, but it's nostalgia week!

Just so you know, my Joe royle jacket is on this vid!

Proof!