April 4th 2009

2qwcw88.jpg

I declare, if it is not already, that the 4th April be now known to all Latics Fans as Roger Palmer Day.

np49w7.jpg

20 years ago on cold wintry night in April(!) Roger scored his 111th goal for Latics and in doing so broke Eric Gemmell's previous record of 110 goals.

Please join me in celebrating Roger tomorrow with a pint, wherever you are!

Come on you Latiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccscssaaaaahhhhhh!

that was the only home game i missed that season...wasnt allowed to go because id been off school

and IIRC he hadnt scored for weeks couldnt quite get over the mark, and then i miss history...bloody typical :ranting:

with the game as it is now with free transfers, do you think the record will ever be broken???

Was that the night we were winning five nil with ten minutes to go and it ended up 5 - 3? Or am i getting mixed up with another very cold wintery night? Seem to remember the ipswich team all wearing short sleeves!

No, the 5-3 was against Portsmouth a couple of weeks earlier....good times!

Edited by oafcprozac

that was the only home game i missed that season...wasnt allowed to go because id been off school

and IIRC he hadnt scored for weeks couldnt quite get over the mark, and then i miss history...bloody typical :ranting:

with the game as it is now with free transfers, do you think the record will ever be broken???

That's right the 'Dodger' went a good few weeks without scoring, he'd equalled Gemmell's record about a month before - scoring once in the 3-0 Friday night win vs Shrewsbury (Mickey Thomas was playing for them that night)

Edited by oafcprozac

No, the 5-3 was against Portsmouth a couple of weeks earlier....good times!

Great game, got it on VHS somewhere. Remember at the time thinking Tommy's left foot cracker at the RRE was one of the best goals ever. Watching it again...it was alright.

Roger v Ipswich night was indeed freezing. Remember it well under a blanket sat on me ma's knee up in the Main Stand.

Them were the days.

E4e

ROGER