Big Joe taps up Taggart

OR

Next season could be the second coming. Joe took us to Wembley, took us out of the 1st Division (in old money) as Champions. So perhaps a glorious hat trick and swansong could be his in extracting us from this bloomin' awful division next season?

Depends on yer point of view I suppose if you look for gloom you'll find it!

Get yer Bolan out Stipey.

T-Rex.

Derek.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's generational Garcon.

I could sit and have a conversation with you about AG and recall shadows leaping toward the intersection of the bar and post to push a seemingly impossible to save shot around the post with almost feline agility; then harp on and on about penalty saving prowess and a thirty year old or less 'Tic would wonder what the hell we are talking about.

They remember a big fat buffoon - and you know what, we do too. The most recent memories are the ones that stick more immediately.

The same will go for Joe, having said that - he stayed a good year and a half than he should have in my mind anyway. The clouds have been with me a long bloody time.

Derek.

somebody says to me who was andy goram and how you remember him...i would say he was scotlands number one and a bloody good keeper,and used to play for latics...not some overweight useless lump who let 7 goals in against a welsh team.

my son said to me whats all this fuss about big joe...so i told him.the best manager we ever had....

regardless of what he may or may not do next season here or not,his record still wont be diminished,what happened back then was magnificent,and always will be,no matter what he does next.

i fully expect him to be given a rolling contract to achieve promotion,he is getting rid of the dead wood and thw high earners to free up money for summer signings,so as soon as players are available he can get them,not piss about waiting for months on end like the last bloke.

Only idiots remember Goram as a failure. The same would be for Joe.

Not just idiots mate, the younger generation who didnt see Goram before in his first stint will, and quite rightly so, judge him on what they saw in front of them. Just as older ones can judge him on his original performances as they were there to see them.

The same should go for Royle. Of course he is and always will be a legend to those around in his first tenure, but for the those not around for the pinch me seasons should surely be allowed to form opinions based on what they see in front of them and not misty eyed nostalgia? Why should the teenagers going today not base their opinions on what Royle delivers now, not what he has done in the past. It is just as much their club and they are intitled to their opinion just as much as anyone else, it doesnt matter if they were there in the glory days. Thats why I think it could be a good idea for Royle to leave at the end of the season, reputation still intact.

Edited by wozz_oafc

Not just idiots mate, the younger generation who didnt see Goram before in his first stint will, and quite rightly so, judge him on what they saw in front of them. Just as older ones can judge him on his original performances as they were there to see them.

The same should go for Royle. Of course he is and always will be a legend to those around in his first tenure, but for the those not around for the pinch me seasons should surely be allowed to form opinions based on what they see in front of them and not misty eyed nostalgia? Why should the teenagers going today not base their opinions on what Royle delivers now, not what he has done in the past. It is just as much their club and they are intitled to their opinion just as much as anyone else, it doesnt matter if they were their in the glory days. Thats why I think it could be a good idea for Royle to leave at the end of the season, reputation still intact.

QED.

Derek.

Yes, I grasp this concept.

There is a different generation of fans now though.

Let me give you an example of the point that I am trying to put across.

I could sit in a pub, with say Royton Blue Lad, have a few beers and start talking Latics.

I start talking for hours and hours about Goram, how wonderful he was, what an agile keeper he was, that I went on the train with his Dad to Hibs and Hearts for his first Edinburgh derby and he was just stunning in that game.

Chris turns around and says he was a fat :censored: that shipped seven against Cardiff. Can I deny this fact? No.

He believes what he saw himself, with his own eyes - rather than words about times long past when he wasn't there.

Hypothetical conversation mate.

The same will go for Joe - thousands of our faithful don't remember the last time. There is little sentiment there for him other than what they have read.

Should he stay, the future will be Joe's legacy.

Derek.

i dont believe there is any fan of there team young or old who doesnt know the history of the team they support

Derek you old dope, Man Utd fans don't remember George Best as an unrelliable drunk do they? Brian Clough as a bumbling wreck at Forrest? These were the last actions at those clubs but people respect the bigger picture.

I am 27 and know that Goram was class when he played for us even though I didn't see him. I just laugh at the one time I saw him. Unless you have special needs you will know that Royle is a legend here whatever he does.

I know in his day Goram was a fantastic player for us, all I remember with my own eyes was Oldham 1 Cardiff 7.

Despite that Goram is still and always will be a legend.

Edited by Macca

i think joe has a very good chance of being a success with us next season but it could go horribly wrong..course it could.

so would you get rid of that chance of success with a great manager just because it might sour his legacy.

i for one will always think of joe as a legend and i would love for him to build on that with us.... if it does not work out he will still be our greatest ever manager.

i think its worth the chance.

Maybe Andy Goram isn't the best comparison. Try John Sheridan, or even Andy Ritchie. Both gave their all for us as players, but when things weren't working for them as the manager that was all forgotten and they were both roundly slated, both at the games and on message boards etc.

Ritchie's reputation seems to have escaped unblemished as he is still regarded as a hero, but there are a lot of people with short memories and he got some unmerciless stick when he was the manager. Many thought that getting rid of him was the answer to all our problems, only for (some of) them to change their minds years later when we've tried god knows how many managers and we're still in this flamin' division!

I hope in years to come Sheridan is regarded a lot more fondly that he has been in the last few months, but some of the crap that has been spouted about someone who went above and beyond the call of duty has been pretty sickening to say the least.

Make no mistake, if Joe doesn't have us challenging next season (if he's here) and the football's not that good then what he achieved in the past will count for diddly squat, and he'll get it in the neck from all those who were dancing in the street when he got the job three weeks ago.

Football has changed, memories are short and Joe will cop for a load of abuse if it doesn't go swimmingly. In fact, there were plenty who wanted him out towards the end of his last reign.

I think John Sheridan is a good example there, I agree.

But with regards to Joe, if we finished midtable with him next year, and he left, it doesnt re-write the results of his first spell, it doesnt change people's opinions of him as the best manager this club has had in recent years and it certainly doesnt re-write the facts, the words in his autobiography etc.

For those who think things cant go wrong, or past reputations tarnished, please look at Mickey Adams and Brighton from our very own league 1 this season. I know my Brighton supporting housemate no longer sees Adams in the same light because of this season despite what he achieved just a few years ago.

Derek you old dope, Man Utd fans don't remember George Best as an unrelliable drunk do they? Brian Clough as a bumbling wreck at Forrest? These were the last actions at those clubs but people respect the bigger picture.

I am 27 and know that Goram was class when he played for us even though I didn't see him. I just laugh at the one time I saw him. Unless you have special needs you will know that Royle is a legend here whatever he does.

Yes I do have those needs.

A team that looks like it wants to win, a team that looks like it cares about it's job, a team that can represent my adulation and hard work going watching them.

Not a bunch of slackers that give up every :censored:ing February.

Best and Clough are good examples of misty eyed romanticism, as we are suffering now. Best :censored:ed off when the going got tough and Clough saw Forest get relegated.

Derek.

Yes.

But you can say "I told you so" if we're not in the top 8 by the end of October!

I can guarantee I will not do that, nor will I join the many on here who will be calling for Joe's head in that scenario next season.

I'm just trying to be realistic, and questioning whether Joe is the man for the job if he can't get us to win a game this season.

His knowledge of this Division is very limited and I doubt whether he will have the willingness and energy at his age to try to convert ordinary players into promotion contenders on a slim budget. I think the job is made for a younger manager out to prove himself on his way to the top, not one who has already done that.

Yes, I grasp this concept.

There is a different generation of fans now though.

Let me give you an example of the point that I am trying to put across.

I could sit in a pub, with say Royton Blue Lad, have a few beers and start talking Latics.

I start talking for hours and hours about Goram, how wonderful he was, what an agile keeper he was, that I went on the train with his Dad to Hibs and Hearts for his first Edinburgh derby and he was just stunning in that game.

Chris turns around and says he was a fat :censored: that shipped seven against Cardiff. Can I deny this fact? No.

He believes what he saw himself, with his own eyes - rather than words about times long past when he wasn't there.

Hypothetical conversation mate.

The same will go for Joe - thousands of our faithful don't remember the last time. There is little sentiment there for him other than what they have read.

Should he stay, the future will be Joe's legacy.

Derek.

100% FACT - well said Derek

Yes I do have those needs.

A team that looks like it wants to win, a team that looks like it cares about it's job, a team that can represent my adulation and hard work going watching them.

Not a bunch of slackers that give up every :censored:ing February.

Best and Clough are good examples of misty eyed romanticism, as we are suffering now. Best :censored:ed off when the going got tough and Clough saw Forest get relegated.

Derek.

Seems you do have special needs, struggling with the vocab to avoid swearing, very good.

Royle is a legend for what he has done, nothing can spoil that.

Derek you sad owd man I am one of the younger fans and Royle will be a god even if he doesn't manage to get us up as I'm not sure anyone could with our squad and set up.

Do you want to define that???.......

Reason for edit; Was going to follow it up with my real opinion of his comment - i refrained!

Edited by futchers briefs