Big Joe taps up Taggart

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to think of it as more of an equilibrium Pete.

Every silver lining needs a cloud ;).

Derek.

I think you're begining to be a caricature of yourself pal, enjoying the doom and gloom stuff, being provocative with some outspoken views. It falls apart when you talk :censored:e though. You should take a leaf out of HDGS's book and when someone blows smoke up your arse, be modest!

Christ, I'm sure Derek and DS are turning into me.

I've seen nothing so far since he took over to suggest we'll be a success next season, we've gone from 1 point off the play offs to 8 and theres been none of the usual 'new manager bounce' you are meant to get.

I've seen nothing so far since he took over to suggest we'll be a success next season, we've gone from 1 point off the play offs to 8 and theres been none of the usual 'new manager bounce' you are meant to get.

Perhaps because the problems lay a little deeper than just changing the manager the manager himself can only do so much.

we've looked to have much more "intent" going forward despite having makeshift forward lines.

granted the defence is still as poor.

Perhaps because the problems lay a little deeper than just changing the manager the manager himself can only do so much.

Amen to that man.

The players/squad and mentality still remain, we are pretty well shot of any confidence we had prior to the leeds game.

It will need the summer for Joe/whoever to come in change the makeup of the squad and get a new attitude/mood going.

Joe will do it next year if given the chance im sure, he has a few decent players on which to build a decent squad.

KTF

Tranmere - same old same old

Cheltenham - improved when Alessandra and Whitaker came on

Orient - a strong first half

Peterborough - best home performance for 3 months and very unfortunate to be on the losing side

I'd have loved the new manager bounce, but it was a big ask for a team who haven't won 3 on the trot for over 2 years. We'd be no better off if we'd stuck with Shez (perhaps your pessimism earlier in the season had already been proved right).

Looks to me like Joe Royle is digging deep, rooting out indiscipline and building the foundations needed.

I think Latics will be better to watch next season.

Edited by opinions4u

Yes, I grasp this concept.

There is a different generation of fans now though.

Let me give you an example of the point that I am trying to put across.

I could sit in a pub, with say Royton Blue Lad, have a few beers and start talking Latics.

I start talking for hours and hours about Goram, how wonderful he was, what an agile keeper he was, that I went on the train with his Dad to Hibs and Hearts for his first Edinburgh derby and he was just stunning in that game.

Chris turns around and says he was a fat :censored: that shipped seven against Cardiff. Can I deny this fact? No.

He believes what he saw himself, with his own eyes - rather than words about times long past when he wasn't there.

Hypothetical conversation mate.

The same will go for Joe - thousands of our faithful don't remember the last time. There is little sentiment there for him other than what they have read.

Should he stay, the future will be Joe's legacy.

Derek.

If I didn't know you better Derek I would say youre just after a rise here. Did you actually see much of Pele? and would you accept he was a tad special? even after his Comos days? I never saw Ferenc Puskas at all but my owd fella did, and by all accounts him and the Hungarian team humbled the then mighty England. In fact I'll go as far as to say that's a fact!! you've lost this one brother......Goram was a top keeper and has the history to prove it.

If I didn't know you better Derek I would say youre just after a rise here. Did you actually see much of Pele? and would you accept he was a tad special? even after his Comos days? I never saw Ferenc Puskas at all but my owd fella did, and by all accounts him and the Hungarian team humbled the then mighty England. In fact I'll go as far as to say that's a fact!! you've lost this one brother......Goram was a top keeper and has the history to prove it.

I think you miss the point a little. If Pele was to make his comeback now as an old man. The generations who have only heard about Pele and not seen him, would see an old man trying to play football and it would take something away from the legend. (Of course this is an extreme example as he wouldnt make a comeback at this age:) This is what happened with Goram. I know he was a legend in his first stint. But the only first hand evidence of the man I have, is of him letting in 7 on his debut against Cardiff. This is what sticks in the mind because it is what I have personally seen. Just as you will have personally seen him being the legendary keeper that older generations talk about?

I think this is what Derek was trying to say anyway. And he and I amongst others think Royle should look long and hard over whether he should come back full time.

Edited by wozz_oafc

I think you miss the point a little. If Pele was to make his comeback now as an old man. The generations who have only heard about Pele and not seen him, would see an old man trying to play football and it would take something away from the legend. (Of course this is an extreme example as he wouldnt make a comeback at this age:) This is what happened with Goram. I know he was a legend in his first stint. But the only first hand evidence of the man I have, is of him letting in 7 on his debut against Cardiff. This is what sticks in the mind because it is what I have personally seen. Just as you will have personally seen him being the legendary keeper that older generations talk about?

I think this is what Derek was trying to say anyway. And he and I amongst others think Royle should look long and hard over whether he should come back full time.

I can see your point, but if given the job, if he gets us up next year every fan on here would be saying 'yep, always knew joe would do it, well done on giving him the job tta'.

i myself am too young to remember first hand the glory years, but ive seen the vids and still know joe to be a legend for doing what he did even if i didnt see it personally.

Id love him to get the job, take us up and stabalise us for a year or 2 in the championship, what a great swansong,

But if he had the job and didnt take us up so what?

Thats football, it worked great first time but not so good 2nd time. He'd always be known as a legend regardless. Its a mark of the man that he would want to give it a go again in the first place. Its Joe's choice, if he wants the job great - he'd take it knowing full well all the 'this' and 'thats'.

Shez was a great player for us - in looking at his time at boss, ill remember the time he took us to the playoffs in his 1st year, the everton game and in the playoff year i remember the home game v bradford and sitting there thinking ive genuinely not seen a better game of football/team performance as i was witnessing in that game.

Yes the ending wasnt great, but the bigger picture tells you how it was and in reality shez did a pretty decent job.

KTF BACK JOE!

Maybe Andy Goram isn't the best comparison. Try John Sheridan, or even Andy Ritchie. Both gave their all for us as players, but when things weren't working for them as the manager that was all forgotten and they were both roundly slated, both at the games and on message boards etc.

Ritchie's reputation seems to have escaped unblemished as he is still regarded as a hero, but there are a lot of people with short memories and he got some unmerciless stick when he was the manager. Many thought that getting rid of him was the answer to all our problems, only for (some of) them to change their minds years later when we've tried god knows how many managers and we're still in this flamin' division!

I hope in years to come Sheridan is regarded a lot more fondly that he has been in the last few months, but some of the crap that has been spouted about someone who went above and beyond the call of duty has been pretty sickening to say the least.

Make no mistake, if Joe doesn't have us challenging next season (if he's here) and the football's not that good then what he achieved in the past will count for diddly squat, and he'll get it in the neck from all those who were dancing in the street when he got the job three weeks ago.

Football has changed, memories are short and Joe will cop for a load of abuse if it doesn't go swimmingly. In fact, there were plenty who wanted him out towards the end of his last reign.

Bang on. I think Sheridan has been treated quite shabbily by the club and a lot of supporters. A lot of quotes about drinking and discipline are pure speculation. I like big Joe but would Shez have got more than one from twelve in the last month?

Get yer Bolan out Stipey.

T-Rex.

Derek.

Hmmmmmmmmm are you refering to the qualities of another former manager there Derek?

One who had an "saurus" at the end of his name?

If so are you comparing JR with same cardboard cut out?

I do hope not DW! I'd have classed RM in the Paleozoic, probably Lower Cambian, whereas Joe would be more Cenozoic, and in the Holocene bracket to boot. A vast difference I'm sure you'll concur.

Anyway as one of JR's original disciples, one of the children of the revolution and a real 20th century boy I really think Joe could get it on. I say that as a real mental guru! Maybe we'll get some more solid gold easy action to further enhance Joe's legacy?

Right I'm off now in me jeepster.

I can guarantee I will not do that, nor will I join the many on here who will be calling for Joe's head in that scenario next season.

I'm just trying to be realistic, and questioning whether Joe is the man for the job if he can't get us to win a game this season.

His knowledge of this Division is very limited and I doubt whether he will have the willingness and energy at his age to try to convert ordinary players into promotion contenders on a slim budget. I think the job is made for a younger manager out to prove himself on his way to the top, not one who has already done that.

You're trying to be realistic DS, but surely by projecting stuff onto the man that you have no way of knowing.

Nobody knows what his knowledge of this division is, and for that matter what it would be come August! Who are you to say whether he has the "willingness and energy at his age" to walk the walk? Have you sat down for a pow wow with him, consulted his physicians? Or for that matter asked him what his motivation and ambitions are before he calls it a day in management?

I'm not saying he is or isn't worthy of being the next manager, if he wants it fine I've not a problem with that because if he does I think he'll give it his all and whatever happens his reputation will never be diminished or tarnished.

The one thing that gets me is the condescending remarks of some, like those for example who suggest that wanting JR to take the job is some kind of misty eyed nostalgia, it isn't, its an opinion and one I can quite easily form on my own. One simply doesn't need recourse to the past to form it one simply needs to look at the events of the last few months to see that the footballing side of the club needed sorting. In my opinion Joe has the experience and steady hand thats needed to achieve this, and whats more the charisma and wit to move the club on in the future too.

Its not a "fact" that appointing JR will be a success, no more than its a "fact" it'll be a disaster and tarnish his reputation. Its an option I believe and for what its worth, a positive sensible option for the future of OAFC.

I hate to break this up, it's been a good read as I've been sat on the throne, but just getting back to the original subject matter for a moment - Anyone know of any potential youngsters that the Redsox might be sending our way???

:toilet:

No

And isn't that the function of any message board worth its salt, that it can go off in a tangent?

No

And isn't that the function of any message board worth its salt, that it can go off in a tangent?

Absolutely. And long may it continue. Was just wondering if ole Red Nose will send us anybody reasonable. Or another Kenny Cooper/Michael Clegg type....

Anyway as one of JR's original disciples, one of the children of the revolution and a real 20th century boy I really think Joe could get it on. I say that as a real mental guru! Maybe we'll get some more solid gold easy action to further enhance Joe's legacy?

Right I'm off now in me jeepster.

I'd love to Bang A Gong it Joe proved to be the Main Man, The Motivator and The Wizard, but Life Is Strange and if it went wrong, I would hate Joe to get the Iscariot treatment and be the victim of many an Explosive Mouth from Broken-hearted Blues, such as ‘Mad Donna’ who sits behind me. Perhaps Joe could Telegram Sam at Bastard Rovers to ask if he has a spare Precious Star.

Absolutely. And long may it continue. Was just wondering if ole Red Nose will send us anybody reasonable. Or another Kenny Cooper/Michael Clegg type....

Thats alright then.

As fer red cast offs, haven't a scoob, not one scintilla of a notion who's there (or at any other Premier team for that matter). Never heard of the young chappie that scored a Sunday for example. Watching MotD these days is usually accompanied by a chorus of "who" "where'd he come from" and so on.

You're trying to be realistic DS, but surely by projecting stuff onto the man that you have no way of knowing.

Nobody knows what his knowledge of this division is, and for that matter what it would be come August! Who are you to say whether he has the "willingness and energy at his age" to walk the walk? Have you sat down for a pow wow with him, consulted his physicians? Or for that matter asked him what his motivation and ambitions are before he calls it a day in management?

My comment was based on Joe saying when he was appointed that he had a lot to learn about League One and he had only seen Latics twice this season.

I expressed doubt about Joe's willingness and energy at his age to take on what is a massive task for someone who has been used to working with better players.

Joe Royle is a legend in my eyes and, like Derek, I would hate to see him become the victim of abuse by many. If he was able to get Latics promoted again, I would consider him a miracle worker, but I think that is a bridge too far and one with very weak foundations.

I hate to break this up, it's been a good read as I've been sat on the throne, but just getting back to the original subject matter for a moment - Anyone know of any potential youngsters that the Redsox might be sending our way???

:toilet:

Doing this a bit recently Dan.......