Who would you build a team around?

fleming is more than good enough for this level, and crossley as a player/coach gives back up.

then eardley, stam and hazell are a decent start for defence, and i'd like to see what black is made of - if we don't give guys a chance then we'll never get another trotman...

taylor, smalley and lee are the core of a decent midfield; and the same goes for stephens as goes for black - give him a game and let's see what he's made of.

up front i'm not convinced about alessandra or o'grady (both decent but don't look like scoring), but again why waste more money on signings when we've got players that we haven't properly tested. give them a game because what is the worst that can happen?

if we have a limited budget then we have to be ruthless and say that gregan is too slow, maher has been good but youth is the way forward, supple isn't better than fleming so would be a luxury and lomax / wolfenden aren't good enough. maybe they will make it, but it'll be on the back of experience forged in games which is something that we can't give them.

why not build a team around philiskirk, because with the stadium a mess budgets are going to be tight. we have a back 4 that can compete, some useful midfielders (and we have to play lee) and a couple of decent support strikers. an experienced target man and some defensive cover (versatile centre-half / full-back) would round off a squad that could compete at this level at a low budget.

Edited by De_La_Vega

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe people would actually want to build a team around our worst liabilities in hazell and gregan. Our defence has shown constantly that they cannot cope with the strikers in this division, as shown in the fact that we have one of the worst defensive records in this division (eighth worse). I also think in allot they have in front of them one of the best defensive mids in the division (although i do think by having allot we suffer going forward due to his reluctance to pick up the ball from the centre backs), but he cannot compensate for gregan and hazell making mistakes every game which has cost us so many goals and i think a play off position this year. If we are to be a success next season, the first thing joe has to do is bring in a central defensive partnership, so then the midfield are confident enough to go forward without worrying they are leaving gregan and hazell at the back. I especially think this has effected eardleys and more recently jones games as until joe came they became less and less likely to venture forward, due to the risk of leaving the centre backs against a break away and with eardley and jones the attacking play is their strongest part of the game.

Therefore i would build my team around

Fleming (from what i have seen is a decent player)

eardley (great attacking player, given space to use his pace and stamina)

two solid centre backs needed (ruben with confidence might fit bill)

left back needed (although havent seen much of black)

midifeld hasn't shown much apart from taylor, although i think whits could do a job, provided he has the right players surrounding him.

Up front - We lack a threat in front of goal, since the departure of hughes although i do think ogrady, allesandra and smalley could do a job i think we would be too heavily reliant on goals from other areas of the team, to challenge next season.

Joe has a lot of work on his hands to shape a team to challenge for the top two.

This is the squad we have had this season:

Crossley - getting on a bit (well a lot) but still had something to offer.

Fleming - looks like a very good keeper to me

Eardley - great overlapping defender with a thunderous shot

Lomax - steady eddy full back

Jones - exciting overlapping full back

Hazell - solid defender ... one of the first names on the team sheet

Gregan - reliable, experienced captain

Stam - capable of stepping in. Part of a solid defence last season

Allott - player of the year last season

Whitaker - at last, a midfielder who can get forward and score goals with both feet

Liddell - capable of delivering a great ball

Smalley - loads of pace

Taylor - skill, pace and goals - looks more and more like the complete player for this level

Maher - composure and experience

Lee - exciting young prospect who has captained Man Utd's reserves

Hughes - goal poacher of the highest calibre

Alessandra - link man of great promise

Davies - loads of pace and leading scorer last season

O'Grady - skill and pace, but a lack of goals

I'm sorry, how Shez failed with that lot I don't know. Loads of ability. Why did they let the momentum slip?

How they have performed so poorly for Royle is even more extraordinary.

Something is rotten at the heart of the squad and how Royle deals with this is already making interesting viewing - assuming he takes the job this summer is going to be fascinating.

I that is the mail on the head.

Individuall there should be no problems, it;s just as a unitm and as a team they are not peforming. This indicates a deepaer mailaise.

I am not sure the Dream team of ferguson as manager, Bemitez as Asst, Hiddiink as coach and Omeill as another coach could get much more out of our lot

Who's this Davies lad and how many Lees have got in our squad?

:lol:

Some sort of wierd space/time continum flux has been triggered by our :censored:eness this season, meaning Craig Davies, Rob Lee and Kieran Lee are all now playing for us... Great :blink:

Anybody heard the Matt Holland rumour?

No-one replied to this? I am I the only one who hasnt heard this rumour as It sounds remotely interesting and I would quite like to know more!

Edited by BigfinLatic

Who would my team be built around? The manager - whoever that is.

Managers build a team in their image.

My team for next season For what its worth (this will indicate how big I think our problems are):

Fleming

Lomax / New Right Back

Rubes

New Centre Back

New Left back

Smalley

Allott

New Central Midfielder (Kennedy from Darlington looks impressive whenever I see him and would be available)

New left winger

Allessandra

New Striker

IMO Taylor needs to be sold. NOT cos I dont rate him, I would want to keep him, but cant afford to make a new squad without.

Edited by pukka

No-one replied to this? I am I the only one who hasnt heard this rumour as It sounds remotely interesting and I would quite like to know more!

Heard it a couple of weeks ago, then again yesterday.

If Charlton were relegated and with the financial trouble there in, most of their first team are off... BFJ's interested as they worked together at Ipswich, and i think (could be wrong) he's from Bury.

Just wondered if anyone else has heard it.

Can you really build a side around a winger?

Perhaps not, but I'm a big fan of the idea of playing him as a striker. Also I just picked out most influential player - as people who list 10 players they'd build a team around don't seem to have grasped the concept.

you build a team around your budget, and that is why i think first things first we have to salvage as much from this team as we can. then, we look to see what we can get from our youth teams.

if we sell taylor we won't go up next season, simple as in my opinion. he's the only real attacking "ace in the hole" that we have - but to keep him we have to get him back on form as soon as possible. in my view that means playing him wide and getting the coaching team to work on his delivery, and continue to teach him that there's more to being a winger than having 2 options - i) beat the man outside and cross, ii) cut inside and shoot. teach the guy how to be more discerning in his decision making, and get a target man for him to hit á la porter. rumours that there have been issues between gregan / hughes and taylor worry me, and what i heard traces them back to the turn of the year since when taylor has been average. so, gregan has to go.

reading between the lines i think we're going to have a smaller budget next year so we need to look to bring in the fewest number of players to get the maximum effect - and i think that means a striker and versatile defender. after that look to give young guys a chance; stephens, lee, black, o'grady and follow that by any of the young guys we've just taken on. if they can do the job let them. at the very least we may get some of them to a level where we can sell them and bring a bit of revenue into the club.

oh, and next year we cannot afford to be so limp in the cups. we need a run in 2 of the 3 i'd say...

Edited by De_La_Vega

good call zorrro you dirt bag, i missed that one... kelvin should be banned from BP because his attitude seduces mangers to give him a game - "he's a cracking lad, why not?" they cry.

because he is rubbish, should be the answer...

eardley is ten times the player, and i'm not sure that would be an exaggeration!

p.s. zorrro - you are gay.

If Charlton were relegated and with the financial trouble there in, most of their first team are off... BFJ's interested as they worked together at Ipswich, and i think (could be wrong) he's from Bury.

Would be happy if we scooped up Mark Hudson too. We had him as a wet-behind-the-ears youngster about 6 years ago and looked quality then. Played at Palace and Charlton in higher divisions since then, but think he'd be gettable in a firesale.

Given the best players we've got and the notion that you should find a formation that suits your best players than fill in the gaps, I think I'd be looking at a 433/451:

GK Fleming

RB Eardley

CB Gregan ©

CB ?

LB ?

MC Allott

MC ?

AMC Lee/Whitaker

FR Smalley

FL Taylor

ST ?

Cover:

Def: Hazell, Lomax, Black, ??

Mid: Stephens, ??

Fwd: Alessandra, O'Grady, ??

Goodbye:

Stam, Maher, Wolfenden

He's been our second best player this season, and is the only leader we have on the pitch. Yes, I think he will definitely be offered a one year deal to stay as captain. Of course, whether he accepts it is another matter, as is the case with Allott.

Good question. I'm always a believer that what goes on 'outside' should only matter if it affects performances on the pitch (and for a captain, influence over the team). I think his form did suffer for a while, but he's been more like his dominant best more recently.

The keep list the rest can go,we need a lot of players.

GK Fleming,Supple IF WE CAN SIGN HIM

DEFENDERS Eardley,Gregan IF HE ACCEPTS A REDUCED 1 YEAR DEAL, Hazell although would not be suprised to see him go wont play as much next season,Maybe do a swap for McCardle at Rochdale

Midfielders Lee/Whitaker,Westlake,Stephens,

Forwards Taylor,Alessandra,Smalley,

Smalley and Alessandra next season will be used for back up but will still play a fair number of games. I think Brooke and Eave will eventually push them.

Jones might be signed now wolves have gone up, to me this close season might see more comings and goings than we have seen in a long time we need a lot of players and a lot are going.Of the teanm that started against Brighton can only see 5 maybe 6 being in the squad next season

Who has gone off the wagebill from the start of the season ?

Lidds, Davies, Bell.

Who can we be 99% certain won't be here?

Hughes, Kalala

Who can we say 60% certainly?

Wolfy?

Who may be gone?

OGrady, Stam,. Maher, Whitaker

add in the wages spent on loanees , and there's cash around.

Well he went to school in Sawbridgeworth - just outside Bury!