So what do we do with this crap budget (allegedly)

??????????

First sign up Joe

Team from Littlewoods Cup Final

Andy Rhodes - Signed from 4th Division Doncaster Rovers under £100k from Linighan's fee

Denis Irwin - Freebie after becoming surplus at Leeds

Paul Warhusrt - £10k from City's reserves

Earl Barrett - £35k from City's reserves

Andy Barlow - Latics Trainee

Neil Adams - £100k from Everton

Nick Henry - Latics Trainee

Mike Milligan - Latics Trainee

Rick Holden - Journeyman winger picked up for £165k after we made a nice bit of bunce off Tommy Wright

Andy Ritchie - Bought with the money received from the Kevin Moore and Ron Futcher Transfers

Frank Bunn - Bought out of the Andy Goram windfall

Championship winning team v Sheff Wed

Jon Hallworth - Ipswich's number 2 - cost £125k taken out of the Mike Flynn money

Gunnar Halle - Decent fee paid as the good times were rolling - £180k

Richard Jobson - Ditto ok, ok, - £460k (But from the Milligan and Irwin monies £1.625m)

Earl Barrett - Peanuts from City

Andy Barlow - Trainee

Neil Adams - £100k

Nick Henry - Trainee

Paul Bernard - Trainee

Rick Holden - £165k

Ian Marshall - £100k bought with funds from the Linighan transfer

Paul Moulden - Purchased with the Cup run money

Subs: Neil Redfearn - £100k + from Watford

What I am trying to show is that Joe often had to sell his best players and those he replaced them with were often met by people reading the back of the Chron and muttering "Who the frig is he?" He knows what it takes to dismantle a side and if sacrificing Taylor and Eardley is needed to allow Joe the scope to bring in the type of player he knows will do a job and get us the results we want - I say go for it! Yeah he had more money back then, but League One is very much a wheeler and dealers market, something Joe has proved he can do in EVERY job he's had, he cleared out wholesale at Everton and City and got his rewards and got a team of kids and veterans at Ipswich into the play-offs twice after having to bin the big names or sell them for what they could.

Would Gannon et al have the nouse to do this? Ronnie tried and failed miserably.

Cash in Taylor and Eardley, give Joe a substantial budget and we'll have a bloody good chance imo.

Edited by oafcprozac

First sign up Joe

Would Gannon et al have the nouse to do this? Ronnie tried and failed miserably.

Cash in Taylor and Eardley, give Joe a substantial budget and we'll have a bloody good chance imo.

Good post but most of the "undiscovered gems" were signed when Joe had no reputation for this type of business. Once he established a reputation didn't it become more difficult for him to sign someone on the cheap?

Sorry to be a D&G-er but I think those days are over...

Prove me wrong Joe, please prove me wrong!

Cashing in on Taylor would be suicide. The team will be built around him next season, and he's the only thing worth anything at BP. I'd 100% keep hold of him.

Don't agree....he's not the be all and end all of everything. Every player has a price and although we shouldn't give him away if we could get near on a million with clauses we would be silly to turn it down.

He's good but not great or he would have gone already and one good player doesn't make a successful side.....if the money were reinvested back into the team and helped build a promotion side then I'm all for it!!!!

Don't agree....he's not the be all and end all of everything. Every player has a price and although we shouldn't give him away if we could get near on a million with clauses we would be silly to turn it down.

He's good but not great or he would have gone already and one good player doesn't make a successful side.....if the money were reinvested back into the team and helped build a promotion side then I'm all for it!!!!

Yep....

??????????

First sign up Joe

Andy Rhodes - Signed from 4th Division Doncaster Rovers under £100k from Linighan's fee

Rick Holden - Journeyman winger picked up for £165k after we made a nice bit of bunce off Tommy Wright

Andy Ritchie - Bought with the money received from the Kevin Moore and Ron Futcher Transfers

Jon Hallworth - Ipswich's number 2 - cost £125k taken out of the Mike Flynn money

Richard Jobson - Ditto ok, ok, - £460k (But from the Milligan and Irwin monies £1.625m)

Andy Barlow - Trainee

Neil Adams - £100k

Nick Henry - Trainee

Paul Bernard - Trainee

Rick Holden - £165k

What I am trying to show is that Joe often had to sell his best players and those he replaced them with were often met by people reading the back of the Chron and muttering "Who the frig is he?" He knows what it takes to dismantle a side and if sacrificing Taylor and Eardley is needed to allow Joe the scope to bring in the type of player he knows will do a job and get us the results we want - I say go for it! Yeah he had more money back then, but League One is very much a wheeler and dealers market, something Joe has proved he can do in EVERY job he's had, he cleared out wholesale at Everton and City and got his rewards and got a team of kids and veterans at Ipswich into the play-offs twice after having to bin the big names or sell them for what they could.

aww bless...good old days....what a trip done memory lane reading the above....and all took great pride in putting on a latics shirt and getting stuck in...

united have just put theirs up, but then again they can fill the seats 3 times over. :blink:

This is a myth. Most of their vaunted massive following has no intention to even visit Britain, let alone Old Trafford. The reality is that those who attend OT are, on average, wealthier than most football fans, so they can afford to price out their more traditional supporter, who is, more often than not, content to watch illegal foreign broadcasts of PL games for the comfort (or not) of a Salford pub.

As the FC United breakaway crowd noted, the famous waiting list for OT season tickets is also a myth.

This is a myth. Most of their vaunted massive following has no intention to even visit Britain, let alone Old Trafford. The reality is that those who attend OT are, on average, wealthier than most football fans, so they can afford to price out their more traditional supporter, who is, more often than not, content to watch illegal foreign broadcasts of PL games for the comfort (or not) of a Salford pub.

As the FC United breakaway crowd noted, the famous waiting list for OT season tickets is also a myth.

You mean I can tell my United loving in-laws they CAN buy tickets to the matches? :lol:

You mean I can tell my United loving in-laws they CAN buy tickets to the matches? :lol:

For every Manure fan who goes to games, it's possible to find a dozen who claim you just can't get your hands on tickets. Which is strange when OT is rarely full to absolute capacity. I suppose they can then fabricate the excuse that this is because the corprate hospitality suites are often booked but not used. Or some other crap.

The thing that srands lut is there are a number of Ernie Cookseyts in there. Players released from other clubs that were fighting a chance to prove themsleves.

Feeling old, but I just don;t think that the Youths of today have the same drive, hopefully the Credit Crunch releases mean that a few of them get a wake up call.

??????????

First sign up Joe

Andy Barlow - Trainee

Neil Adams - £100k

Nick Henry - Trainee

Paul Bernard - Trainee

Rick Holden - £165k

All that was done without the stupid Bosman rule, and the utterly ridiculous transfer windows. It's not as easy to build a team now. We now have players mostly on two year contracts which expire at the same time.