Dave Penney. Happy or not?

singe

Dave Penney, good choice, or uninspired  

298 members have voted

1. 1. Happy or not?

• Happy, great choice
    • Underwhelmed, uninspired choice

Penney will get more time due to a number of the moaners not renewing and coz the expectation next season will be significantly lower.

It doesn't work that way, at least in my experience, as I can't help noticing that those who moan at the game (as opposed to on here) tend to be fans of the 'We've always been crap, this is our natural level variety.' They don't really expect anything; it's just in their nature to moan. A bit like BNP voters, they have no idea what to do about what frustrates them so they lash out at the easiest an most obvious targets.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he's not arrived for the press conference...

cant be has bad has its been since jan new manager new backroom staff new ideas new players onwards and forwards good luck dave lets all get behind them all ktf

or has he? :tongue1:

Neither option. I guess we have to face the type of candidate we can pull currently. Dave Penney I really don't know enough about his track record, with or without cash.

Here's to me in 10 years time with an Latics established championship team, sat in the state of the art new Broadway Stand having a pre match pint in the PENNEY BAR!

Here's to me in 10 years time with an Latics established championship team, sat in the state of the art new Broadway Stand having a pre match pint in the PENNEY BAR!

here here....lol

ok so it isnt a houshold name to set the imagination going wild.

it isnt jim gannon whom myself,and a good few others wanted.

he isnt mark robins or paul ince,which is deffo a big big plus.

he has taken a team from conference level to league one,he did take darlington to the playoffs last season,and only for going into admin and being deducted 10 points this season,they are now midtable.

he has done a great job with them and assembled a pretty decent team.

i think if he does bring in there more proven players with him,to compliment our decentish players,and maybe a few others we will have a failry decent squad.

he said he was going to have a good chat with joe to discuss what joe thinks and also some of his own ideas,which i think is a good sign,and if joe can become a sort of scout,finding decent players with good potential from his contacts and recommends them,then we may well have a lot to cheer pretty soon.

well done tta's,something to cheer about at last....although im sure the doom n gloomers will have there say.

Experienced

Man manager

Can work on a small budget relative to the divison

Good contacts in the game

A name that will put bums on seats and inspire people to come / renew season tickets...

From what little I know he dosent tick any of those boxes...

Piss poor is my initial thoughts...he is goign to have to win me over... I cant get excited about him...

So far the poll isnt looking good...

Another crap decison from the TTA on the horizon ?

Sorry, but you're wrong.

Give Penney a chance, and he WILL be a sucess.

Also, apart from chucking his toys out of the pram and going for an interview at Brighton no one (thats not local) has heard of Gannon either.

To test it, we should get Hallam to ask his Grandad. !

Edited by singe

Sorry, but you're wrong.

Give Penney a chance, and he WILL be a sucess.

...I want to be wrong!!! :)

He is here now and he has my fully backing... Just my initial reaction...

Onwards and upwards!!!

Dave Penneys Blue and white army :D

well done tta's,something to cheer about at last....although im sure the doom n gloomers will have there say.

This doom and gloomer, for one, is cautiously optimistic about this appointment. People are going on about Gannon, perhaps with some justification, but Penney has a better managerial record. Some might say that he had more money to work with than Gannon, but if our own budget isn't closer to pre-spending spree Doncaster and fourth divison Darlington then we are going nowhere no matter who the manager is.

This doom and gloomer, for one, is cautiously optimistic about this appointment. People are going on about Gannon, perhaps with some justification, but Penney has a better managerial record. Some might say that he had more money to work with than Gannon, but if our own budget isn't closer to pre-spending spree Doncaster and fourth divison Darlington then we are going nowhere no matter who the manager is.

After being intially not really happy about it I must admit I am coming around now....

Looking forward to see what he has to say in his interview...

Can i sence a little excitement coming from the corporal? :grin:

I think this is what's worrying me, given the nature of some of our fans. They want the moon on a stick and they want it NOW!

If people are patient he may well bring success... Our fans arent patient and thats what worries me most...

You calling for the managers head yet ? I will check back with you in 12 months time when you yet again show how little patient you have :)

whos head have i called for???..oh yeah i remember shez's....after 2 and a half years though,so i think i gave him a chance.

ronnie moore....nope,didnt call for his head,would of liked to have seen what he would have been capable of in a second season with a better budget,like what shez got.

talbot....dont think i did call for his head actually.....although did question the "be better if we went down" motivational speech.

i wont be calling for mr pennys head either,i happen to think he is a pretty solid manager who has a decent level of success,and has a pretty good eye for a decent player....

two year contract,will see in two years time were we are first eh,if were making progress why would i call for his head????

..if our own budget isn't closer to pre-spending spree Doncaster and fourth divison Darlington then we are going nowhere no matter who the manager is.

I am hopeful that it is somewhere in between.

Above average for this division.

There are due to be record numbers of players out of work, but also this will drive wages down, at a time when we are looking for cheaper players than the last few years. The money saved on Gregan, Hughes, Liddell and Over-rated striker , and Loanes such as Golbourne should afford us a several decent players.

Edited by singe

i'm not underwhelmed as I was never expecting to be overwhelmed.

looks like a good, solid &, dare I say it, boring appointment - just what we need in my opinion.

hopefully this time next year with one game to go we'll have a steady ship and an honest, hard working team - anything else will be a bonus.

after watching the interviews

"happy, great choice" :grin:

after watching the interviews

"happy, great choice" :grin:

Time will tell how great of a choice it is... I can understand why the board have gone for him..

And like youself after watching the interviews I have a much better feeling about this guy...

Just my initial reaction...

... which was based on the fact you hadn't even heard of him.

I do find it truly scary how little so many football "fans" know outside their own team.

Glad to see that you're now "coming round to the guy", presumably having found out a bit more about him. :lol: