298 members have voted

1. 1. Happy or not?

• Happy, great choice
    • Underwhelmed, uninspired choice

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets hope we don't get a last minute cancellation of the press conference after all this! Or some Steve McMahon stylee one!

OMG ! forgot about that....

3pm today,latics press room.

"change of plan lads..give us 30 mins.."

later..

"happy to introduce our new manager,ian robbins."

press:"whats happened to dave penney?"

"err.....no comment!"

press:"you know this will be a VERY unpopular appointment with the fans?"

"err..no comment!"

ad fin.

I am very pleased and optimistic about the appointment of Dave Penney, he did well at Doncaster and has done well (especially under the circumstances) at Darlington.

His managment CV makes pretty good reading, his teams play decent football. I think this is a very positive move by the club.

He seems sure to bring some of his coaching and playing staff over from Darlington, given the financial postion they are in.

Most importantly to me is the fact that Penney is an outsider who is totally detached from the club. He will come in with his own ideas and his own people to sort the dressing room and the club out.

Edited by Hometownclub

After sleeping on it and reading some of the comments on here and other board I am being won around...

End of the day, what we all we think right now matters nothing...he will of course be judged on who he brings in over the summer and how the team performs next term...

I just call for him to be given a few years to get us ticking over and dont expect a promtion challenging side next term...thats very unrealistic...

OMG ! forgot about that....

3pm today,latics press room.

"change of plan lads..give us 30 mins.."

later..

"happy to introduce our new manager,ian robbins."

press:"whats happened to dave penney?"

"err.....no comment!"

press:"you know this will be a VERY unpopular appointment with the fans?"

"err..no comment!"

ad fin.

IAN ROBBINS???? :grin:

Not a bad appointment if you ask me (assuming it's him)

Looks like the end for Crossley and Wright though if he wants to bring in his own team

Definatley agree about bringing in some of THe Darlo talent though. Free transfers ftw!!!!

I will back him from my seat next season regardless

think its a good move by tta

just abit concerned he didnt take donny that extra mile especially with the funds at his disposal..

earlier thread said he might have learned from his mistakes.

tta want success and i just hope they are prepared to wait a bit longer for it,,cos its gonna take some time to sort this lot out...

oh and hes a yorkshireman lol

think its a good move by tta

just abit concerned he didnt take donny that extra mile especially with the funds at his disposal..

earlier thread said he might have learned from his mistakes.

tta want success and i just hope they are prepared to wait a bit longer for it,,cos its gonna take some time to sort this lot out...

oh and hes a yorkshireman lol

If we look at the facts it's a Sheridan/Gannon type appointment but 6 or 7 years down the line a guy who has had initial success, learnt from his mistakes and then begun to replicate that success with his next club. Good career move for him and i'm sure given time and the type of support Shez enjoyed from the owners he will be a success. We weren't expecting much in 06/07 and look how that turned out - exceeded all expectations. Let's get behind DP and restore some pride to the name of OAFC, through one thing or another - the signing of Hughes, Doggygate etc... the club's reputation has taken a battering. Let's all get our heads down and work together for the good of OAFC.

I will be there...no doubting that...

Just sick of doing the whole "its a great appointment" when my head says totally different...

Will praise him if he does well but right now I aint happy...

Not read the other pages of this thread but stopped at this post: sums up how I am feeling succinctly!

I'll be there next season; it's in me & always will be - but I’m a little uninspired & underwhelmed by Dave Penney's imminent appointment; was looking forward to seeing who was going to come in player wise if Big Joe was still at the helm, with his vast contacts in the game i was really intrigued; but now I can't help thinking we're set for 4 or 5 ex Darlington & Doncaster player coming in, & try as I might I’m finding it hard to get excited about that prospect.

Guess we'll see what summer brings won't we, but at present it’s all, well, just a bit MEH...........

If we look at the facts it's a Sheridan/Gannon type appointment but 6 or 7 years down the line a guy who has had initial success, learnt from his mistakes and then begun to replicate that success with his next club. Good career move for him and i'm sure given time and the type of support Shez enjoyed from the owners he will be a success. We weren't expecting much in 06/07 and look how that turned out - exceeded all expectations. Let's get behind DP and restore some pride to the name of OAFC, through one thing or another - the signing of Hughes, Doggygate etc... the club's reputation has taken a battering. Let's all get our heads down and work together for the good of OAFC.

totally agree i will be right behind him,,,just the concern he wont beable to take us as far as tta want this club to go

totally agree i will be right behind him,,,just the concern he wont beable to take us as far as tta want this club to go

If that was the case the TTA would'nt have given him the top job.

Don't know much about him, but sounds like he could potentially do a job and has my backing.

He's got a hard job on his hands, and so hope everyone gives him enough time to get things right.

I work on paper which covers Darlo. Just had a chat with the sports lads, all neutral, they are impressed with Penney, they reckon its a good appointment for us. If he brings one or two decent players with him I think we could be onto a winner.

Meh. Having read a bit about him, and seen what some of the fans of his previous teams have had to say I'm starting to come round to his appointment. There were other people I would have preferred, Aidy Boothroyd being top of my list, but in reality I'm not so sure we could afford them. Looking at the other names people have banded about- Ince, Gannon, Adams, Ritchie, Holloway et al.- I can find fault with all of them, and personally bar Gannon I think they are all overrated. (Ince especially as judging by their performance this year having lost their best player over the summer a blind monkey should have been able to get MK promoted, and Blackburn are still only now getting out of the :censored: he put them in).

Penney, seems to be able to do a job at this level, and OK he might not be able to get us that far but I think he deserves a fair crack at the whip. I'd give him 18 months minimum before I even thought about saying he's not up to it- as that would give him 2 pre seasons to get the players in we might need. Shez had his time and I think his man-management skills could do with a bit of work, especially on the discipline side, and whilst his strategy works for a time it usually fails towards the end and we saw that.

As many people were saying even before his name was banded about we should be looking at signing some of the better players from League 2 and Darlo being in administration fitted that bill nicely- as we can them on the cheap/free. We now have the inside track on a team I think a lot of teams in our league might be looking at for new blood. I can see Donny spending some money over the pre season too, in order to consolidate their position and this might mean that certain players who are deemed surplus to requirements become availible and we now have good links with them.

Lets not forget we are in this League for a reason, and although we have been at a higher level before unless we get some major investment I can't see us surviving in the Championship for too long and we could struggle to find a new buyer if TTA pull out. I think some of the people on here need a dose of realism if they thought otherwise.

Meh. Having read a bit about him, and seen what some of the fans of his previous teams have had to say I'm starting to come round to his appointment. There were other people I would have preferred, Aidy Boothroyd being top of my list, but in reality I'm not so sure we could afford them. Looking at the other names people have banded about- Ince, Gannon, Adams, Ritchie, Holloway et al.- I can find fault with all of them, and personally bar Gannon I think they are all overrated. (Ince especially as judging by their performance this year having lost their best player over the summer a blind monkey should have been able to get MK promoted, and Blackburn are still only now getting out of the :censored: he put them in).

Penney, seems to be able to do a job at this level, and OK he might not be able to get us that far but I think he deserves a fair crack at the whip. I'd give him 18 months minimum before I even thought about saying he's not up to it- as that would give him 2 pre seasons to get the players in we might need. Shez had his time and I think his man-management skills could do with a bit of work, especially on the discipline side, and whilst his strategy works for a time it usually fails towards the end and we saw that.

As many people were saying even before his name was banded about we should be looking at signing some of the better players from League 2 and Darlo being in administration fitted that bill nicely- as we can them on the cheap/free. We now have the inside track on a team I think a lot of teams in our league might be looking at for new blood. I can see Donny spending some money over the pre season too, in order to consolidate their position and this might mean that certain players who are deemed surplus to requirements become availible and we now have good links with them.

Lets not forget we are in this League for a reason, and although we have been at a higher level before unless we get some major investment I can't see us surviving in the Championship for too long and we could struggle to find a new buyer if TTA pull out. I think some of the people on here need a dose of realism if they thought otherwise.

Great post mate

whats the odds on saturday with penney sat in the stand that the likes of hazzell,eardley,allott,maher,whittaker,alexandra,wolfy and so on,,,having the game of their lifes..

You would be correct.

Both promotion and new investment (or the complete stadium redevelopment) are essential to the survival of professional football in Oldham.

The real realism is that if we are bogged down in this division, or below, for much longer, or if the stadium doesn't get built, it will not survive.