298 members have voted

1. 1. Happy or not?

• Happy, great choice
    • Underwhelmed, uninspired choice

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are not going to get a great manager with a fantastic record who gets everyone all excited and 'on board' with the appointment.

Didn't know much about him to be honset until I read up. And to be honest that's not a bad thing IMO. If I did know him its likely because he is a 'name'. If he is a 'name' and willing to come to Oldham, then he would be a 'name' that had failed a number of times.

The likes of Gannom and Hill have been mentioned on this board, but I get the feeling that this is because they are local managers and we know more about them, know fans of thier clubs. I could imagine Swindon or Millwall feeling eqaully as underwelmed if their team were to appoint Gannon or Hill. But a lot at the stats and a review of the fans comments mike make them think it was not too bad.

For me appointments would fall into the one of the following categories:

1) Experienced manager with a mixed track record and likely to be more 'failures' than successes in the last few appointments - but one we all have heard of.

2) Newbie manager with a history at Latics (Sheriden / Ritchie mould)

3) Newbie manager with no history (al Joe Royle in the 80s)

3) Manger with limited experience but not yet 'failed' and looking to move on.

The first 2 would get people excited, the latter two not. But for me the latter two are at least 'as likely' to be successful. We have got one of the latter categories.

Overall - happy.

Ince would not be my choice.

He would be mine. To dress up as the cat from Itchy and Scratchy for a half-time re-enactment of their greatest scenes. I'd pay £20 a week for that alone.

It's a decent appointment. The crowd pleasers woukd as like as not be the crowd displeasers soon enough, or based entirely on sentiment. We've got a buy who's no big shot but has been around lower league football and achieved suxccess and respect. Sounds like the sort of person who would have come through a sensible appointment panel, which is maybe just what we need right now rather than a sentimental or emotional appointment.

I'm up for DP - who's with me?

philly no..he's the main man for the youth policy..his reputation goes through the roof.

ta ta to tommy and dux.

Feel for Tommy and dux... I dont really think they did much wrong...

Good luck to them if they do go...

No chance Philly is going anywhere...

I'm up for DP - who's with me?

Me... He is our manager and I will be backing him... As always...

Just hope others stick by him...

*waits patiently for talk of...hoof football (we want our football back), lost the dressing room, jobs for the boys, drink culture and he has had enough time*

Well lets face it, the same old lines have dogged are last three managers...

Edited by oafc0000

He probably wouldn't of been my first choice (Kieth Hill for me) but a lot of this could be down to ignorance. I'll back him 100% of the way and can only hope that we allow him some time to settle in, as from what I've read/heard he likes his teams to play decent football so I'd be happy with Penney.

All these saying Keith Hill.

This the same Keith Hill who changes his formation and tactics week to week as he doesnt after a couple of years in charge know what his best team. The same Hill who in match reports comments on the local lad in depth whilst overlooking half a dozen players who've been more outstanding than him in the 90minutes. :grin::D

As for happy or not. Yes. Anyone who's seen Darlo the past few years in the flesh will concur that he's put together a good side there who play football the right way. Give him time and I think we'll be right. ^_^

*waits patiently for talk of...hoof football (we want our football back), lost the dressing room, jobs for the boys, drink culture and he has had enough time*

You missed fighting at the dogs :wink:

QUOTE (oafc0000 @ Apr 29 2009, 20:41 PM)

You missed fighting at the dogs :wink:

..and tactically niaive, and baffling substitutions...

As he is a bit 442 only I expect the tactically niaive after about the first 45 mins of the first friendly!

Lets look at it this way. I've read a lot of posts from Donny fans and a lot from Darlo. Struggling to find someone from either club who doesn't like him.

Onwards and upwards

I know I said the other day I would be disappointed if Penny, Adams or Jepson got the job but I've come round to the idea of DP taking over, his football style has always been good on the eye and Donny always gave us a good game, it's no disgrace that he couldn't get Donny up to the Championship.

Gannon was my first choice but DP's CV is the best of the rest.

I know I said the other day I would be disappointed if Penny, Adams or Jepson got the job but I've come round to the idea of DP taking over, his football style has always been good on the eye and Donny always gave us a good game, it's no disgrace that he couldn't get Donny up to the Championship.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Positivity!

Guest sheridans_world

I've not read the thread but I'm very happy with Dave Penny taking over as manager.

Sounds like he's well into all these "top non-league" players, signing a lot of players for free. He's only spent 175k in his career as a manager and he got Donny to this level (two promo's) and Darlo to the play-offs.

Very happy and looking forward to next season now.

Guest sheridans_world

Who are you and what have you done with Coco?! Its almost like those twelve months where you promised to be positive!