Dave Penney. Happy or not?

singe

Dave Penney, good choice, or uninspired  

298 members have voted

1. 1. Happy or not?

• Happy, great choice
    • Underwhelmed, uninspired choice

We have tried to get out of this league via being a fit well organised never say die side, a patched-up rabble of yoof and journeymen, hoof-ball, passing it about and taking care of the ball and a rag-tag collection of the lot. None have worked.

What we need to do is have a well organised side that just grinds out results, we don't need the Wellens or Kilkenny's or Hugheses, teams made up of superstars and supporting players. We need a team that becomes greater than the some of all it's parts, a team that works together, stands together and falls together.

Week in week out we see sides made up of nobodies turn up at BP or wherever and do a number on us by playing as a team with players that die for the cause. If Penney brings this I for one will be more than happy. Good, hard working honest pros is what I want, we can have the fancy stuff in our 3rd or 4th year in the Championship but until then good old fashioned Stalinist football will do me and moustaches, we need more players with moustaches, you don't see them much these days but the more moustaches we have in the side the better for me.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wasn't my first choice, and he wasn't even on the bookies lists yesterday. But from what I can gather TTA have taken into account his football style, which is what I think may have swung it over one or two others. To meet all the criteria oafc0000 is suggesting is a bit ludicruous, and I think Penney is the nearest we're going to get. I'd have preferred Gannon or Keith Hill, but loads of people were gainst them to, so whoever came in, realistically, they were never going to appease everyone.

Had a bit of time to check what Darlo and Donny fans have said in the past and that's quite encouraging. There are some slight worries I have, mainly which is he needs to do things with a healthy budget, which he had at both Donny and Darlo but he won't get that much here. I'm sure he has contacts in the game, and I'm sure he's an eye for a decent non-league player.

I really, really, REALLY hope that the same old knives don't start coming out if we're say, 5 points off the play-offs come Christmas., or even lower perhaps. I lost quite an amount of love for the club through what went on this season, and so-called 'fans' jumping on here after ten minutes ranting and raving. I can see me falling out of love with it all completely should we see more of the same this season.

And promotion? I used think I wanted it above all else, at all costs and all that. Now I realise what I really miss most is just having 11 players on the big green thing in front of me trying their heart out to win us a game. I just want that back; anything else is a bonus.

We have tried to get out of this league via being a fit well organised never say die side, a patched-up rabble of yoof and journeymen, hoof-ball, passing it about and taking care of the ball and a rag-tag collection of the lot. None have worked.

What we need to do is have a well organised side that just grinds out results, we don't need the Wellens or Kilkenny's or Hugheses, teams made up of superstars and supporting players. We need a team that becomes greater than the some of all it's parts, a team that works together, stands together and falls together.

Week in week out we see sides made up of nobodies turn up at BP or wherever and do a number on us by playing as a team with players that die for the cause. If Penney brings this I for one will be more than happy. Good, hard working honest pros is what I want, we can have the fancy stuff in our 3rd or 4th year in the Championship but until then good old fashioned Stalinist football will do me and moustaches, we need more players with moustaches, you don't see them much these days but the more moustaches we have in the side the better for me.

Agree

"Oldham fan here - So is Penney a good a manager then. We need a manager who won't stand for no crap in the dressing room"

Darlo fan - "thats one of his main strengths in my opinion. the other being he's a god damn good manager. "

Lot of Darlo opinions here: http://www.rivals.net/forum/pgePosts.aspx?...;#AnchorComment

They all seem to rate him, maybe he'll do well.

Great post.

Times of recession have, traditionally, led to an increase in moustaches and beards as men save money on grooming.

Quick question: Who was the last player with a moustache to score a goal for England?

Where are Rovers now ?

Where were they when he took over donny? Mid table conference

If he is not your first choice and you are underwhelmed by the appointment, then fair enough.

But please give the man a little bit of credit. 2 promotions, chances are would have been 3 had darlo not been docked points.

Now could have understood had the club appointed robins!!!

I did fancy Ince...mainly due to his experience at top level, contacts and record of success...

As a player, undoubtedly yes. As a manager, arguably no!!!

Not sure his short time at Blackburn counts as top level experience and his record of success is certainly not better than Penney's.

Ince would not be my choice.

Where were they when he took over donny? Mid table conference

If he is not your first choice and you are underwhelmed by the appointment, then fair enough.

But please give the man a little bit of credit. 2 promotions, chances are would have been 3 had darlo not been docked points.

Now could have understood had the club appointed robins!!!

Disagree with dave penney

If he couldnt take doncaster that extra mile into the championship with all their funds how the hell is he going to do it here on peanuts

How people's opinions change!

"Oldham fan here - So is Penney a good a manager then. We need a manager who won't stand for no crap in the dressing room"

Darlo fan - "thats one of his main strengths in my opinion. the other being he's a god damn good manager. "

Lot of Darlo opinions here: http://www.rivals.net/forum/pgePosts.aspx?...;#AnchorComment

They all seem to rate him, maybe he'll do well.

He's held in fine regard at both Donny and Darlo, must be doing something right. Can he handle a "Massive" club like us though :dynamite::tongue1:

He wasn't my first choice, and he wasn't even on the bookies lists yesterday. But from what I can gather TTA have taken into account his football style, which is what I think may have swung it over one or two others. To meet all the criteria oafc0000 is suggesting is a bit ludicruous, and I think Penney is the nearest we're going to get. I'd have preferred Gannon or Keith Hill, but loads of people were gainst them to, so whoever came in, realistically, they were never going to appease everyone.

Had a bit of time to check what Darlo and Donny fans have said in the past and that's quite encouraging. There are some slight worries I have, mainly which is he needs to do things with a healthy budget, which he had at both Donny and Darlo but he won't get that much here. I'm sure he has contacts in the game, and I'm sure he's an eye for a decent non-league player.

I really, really, REALLY hope that the same old knives don't start coming out if we're say, 5 points off the play-offs come Christmas., or even lower perhaps. I lost quite an amount of love for the club through what went on this season, and so-called 'fans' jumping on here after ten minutes ranting and raving. I can see me falling out of love with it all completely should we see more of the same this season.

And promotion? I used think I wanted it above all else, at all costs and all that. Now I realise what I really miss most is just having 11 players on the big green thing in front of me trying their heart out to win us a game. I just want that back; anything else is a bonus.

Great post Jamie and one I pretty much agree with. People wanted Moore out in November, Talbot in October - we have to give DP time and as long as it looks like we are progressing on the field and the players have the desire to turn up week in week out that will do for me.

Good Luck DP, wecome to BP!

Well said

Most expected Promotion under Talbot, Moore and Shez. Maybe Penney will gain from having less expectation on him, and left to get on with the job.

Good luck Dave.

A very, very important and crucial point! And to think we've had a season recently whereby people were expecting promotion for a side almost relegated on the last day of the season before...fairly ludicrous! It seems Teeets above, is experiencing many of the feelings I've had for a few years now. With regards to Shez though, we had every right to expect a good crack at promotion this season (and that's top 2, not treading water in 5th/6th place).

Penney will get more time due to a number of the moaners not renewing and coz the expectation next season will be significantly lower. Just hope that if at times it ain't pretty but we're getting results...people do, finally, realise what I've argued for far too many years. It's a results business! The pretty stuff comes 2nd to it everytime!!!

Edited by boundaryblue80

A very, very important and crucial point! And to think we've had a season recently whereby people were expecting promotion for a side almost relegated on the last day of the season before...fairly ludicrous! It seems Teeets above, is experiencing many of the feelings I've had for a few years now. With regards to Shez though, we had every right to expect a good crack at promotion this season (and that's top 2, not treading water in 5th/6th place).

Penney will get more time due to a number of the moaners not renewing and coz the expectation next season will be significantly lower. Just hope that if at times it ain't pretty but we're getting results...people do, finally, realise what I've argued for far too many years. It's a results business! The pretty stuff comes 2nd to it everytime!!!

...but people want their football back :wink:

Your right... Root one or passing I couldnt give a monkey...just get the games won...

i'm not underwhelmed as I was never expecting to be overwhelmed.

looks like a good, solid &, dare I say it, boring appointment - just what we need in my opinion.

hopefully this time next year with one game to go we'll have a steady ship and an honest, hard working team - anything else will be a bonus.