Dave Penney. Happy or not?

singe

Dave Penney, good choice, or uninspired  

298 members have voted

1. 1. Happy or not?

• Happy, great choice
    • Underwhelmed, uninspired choice

I know I said the other day I would be disappointed if Penny, Adams or Jepson got the job but I've come round to the idea of DP taking over, his football style has always been good on the eye and Donny always gave us a good game, it's no disgrace that he couldn't get Donny up to the Championship.

Gannon was my first choice but DP's CV is the best of the rest.

:shock::blink::shock::blink:

....well bugger me....maybe good things are on the way :)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyway,whats needed now is a great big clearout.

penney will have his ideas on new players to enquire about ,what he likes in a team and what he's missing in this squad ATM.

hopefully joe will be giving plenty of advise on whats left here between tomorrow and when he enjoys his holiday.

interesting next few months ahead...and its needed-this club has hit rock bottom and needs dragging up by the balls again.

Guest sheridans_world
He's spent at least £225k.

/Pedant

Not according to Soccerbase, apart from "nominal" fees.

£100k on Abbott

£25k on Gregg Blundell

£50k on Michael McIndoe

Whether thats only initial fees or not, I dont know, with other clauses it could be higher. I'm impressed considering Ryan, the Donny owner, has money pouring out of his pockets and the Darlo guy had enough to build them a new stadium.

We have tried to get out of this league via being a fit well organised never say die side, a patched-up rabble of yoof and journeymen, hoof-ball, passing it about and taking care of the ball and a rag-tag collection of the lot. None have worked.

What we need to do is have a well organised side that just grinds out results, we don't need the Wellens or Kilkenny's or Hugheses, teams made up of superstars and supporting players. We need a team that becomes greater than the some of all it's parts, a team that works together, stands together and falls together.

Week in week out we see sides made up of nobodies turn up at BP or wherever and do a number on us by playing as a team with players that die for the cause. If Penney brings this I for one will be more than happy. Good, hard working honest pros is what I want, we can have the fancy stuff in our 3rd or 4th year in the Championship but until then good old fashioned Stalinist football will do me and moustaches, we need more players with moustaches, you don't see them much these days but the more moustaches we have in the side the better for me.

Best post for a long time!

May just buy a season ticket now...

E4e

MAYBE

It's been said elsewhere that it's not the missing out on promotion that's sending folk to Wilsonsville it's the fact that we've been watching a half hearted team of bottle jobs for far too long. No sooner had they had the chance they were all laying back and sparking up the cigars. They think they're better than they are and have deemed it acceptable to turn up with the wrong frame of mind and give performances 50% effort. It's not effin on and I really don't want to see the majority of them again.

But with a disciplinarian in charge, and by all accounts DP isn't shy in this department, I'll give the team my support and encouragement. We've been through thick and thin, lower league positions than we currently hold, 'fighting' relegation. But we were doing so giving it our all. We weren't world beaters, far from it, FFS Paul Rickers had a major hand keeping us up!

All we ask is for a team who play with pride, passion and commitment, who will run through brick walls for eachother; it gives us fans the same mentality. But we've not seen anything close to that this season.

If DP comes in and gives us just one of the three traits then he'll do for me.

E4e

FIKUL

I'm happy with DP, I'm glad that the TTA have ignored the calls for Ex Latics heros at long last, I just hope people on the boards can give the new manager some time and let him build his own team and see what happens.

Another point is that now we have a new manager with no links to Latics maybe people on here can stop the calls for Kilkenny, Haining, Wellens etc to come and play for us again, who ever DP signs lets get behind them and support the them all.

In light of our status(division 3), our average support, around 4 thousand, and our recent record, which at best could be described as average, I think D P is a fantastic choice , and the best we could have done under the restraints we have to adhere to.. I say get behind him, give him and the team your support. And keep the faith.

I just hope people on the boards can give the new manager some time and let him build his own team and see what happens.

Seen this quote several times now...I do wonder how many of those saying this (not pointing the finger at you AndyP) called for a previous managers sacking after 1 season after moving markedly up the table? I bet a hell of a lot!!! A major percentage!!! It's time to remember these words!!!

For me, it's a brand new era now...time to sweep the last 4yrs aside...clean slate...all together. Let's not cock this one up! And that means us off the field as fans...we've a responsibility too.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Seen this quote several times now...I do wonder how many of those saying this (not pointing the finger at you AndyP) called for a previous managers sacking after 1 season after moving markedly up the table? I bet a hell of a lot!!! A major percentage!!! It's time to remember these words!!!

For me, it's a brand new era now...time to sweep the last 4yrs aside...clean slate...all together. Let's not cock this one up! And that means us off the field as fans...we've a responsibility too.

Well said...

Onwards and upwards hopefully...

I dont really know what to think of the appointment. Part of me says he's done a good job at Donny and Darlo and acheived promotion and success trying to play the right way.

The other part of me is indifferent to him, don't really know why maybe i expected a bigger name? But on reflecton I can't see us being able to attract the likes of Ince and co who will want to manage in the championship at least i would of thought.

At least we know who the manager is now and can move on and hopefully, with the help of Joe's input on who's worth keeping and and who we should get rid off, start to get this club on the rise again after too many years of decline.

Edited by nava

He did a good job with us. Fell apart a bit near the end but before that he had a very good time at Donny. Definately spent more than 225 k though. His best signings were always the bargain players from the lower leagues. He had a few issues with players before he left (Albrighton, Foster, Ryan, Thornton, Mcindoe all good examples and he'd have hated a player like Wellens for example) but that was expected when he was learning. I always got the impression he struggled with the egos, sort of two hot headed characters together.

A bit too predictable would be his weakness. Always 4-4-2 with two out and out wingers, big man/little man up front aswell constantly. It's good to watch at times, but I do wonder whether it's enough to get out of league 1.

He had a great time here though, didn't quite cut it getting us out of the league that final step, but he was always going to make mistakes in his first job and he's no doubt stronger now for the mistakes his made. Big opportunity for him this one and I'm sure us Donny fans will be watching him with interest.

He did a good job with us. Fell apart a bit near the end but before that he had a very good time at Donny. Definately spent more than 225 k though. His best signings were always the bargain players from the lower leagues. He had a few issues with players before he left (Albrighton, Foster, Ryan, Thornton, Mcindoe all good examples and he'd have hated a player like Wellens for example) but that was expected when he was learning. I always got the impression he struggled with the egos, sort of two hot headed characters together.

A bit too predictable would be his weakness. Always 4-4-2 with two out and out wingers, big man/little man up front aswell constantly. It's good to watch at times, but I do wonder whether it's enough to get out of league 1.

He had a great time here though, didn't quite cut it getting us out of the league that final step, but he was always going to make mistakes in his first job and he's no doubt stronger now for the mistakes his made. Big opportunity for him this one and I'm sure us Donny fans will be watching him with interest.

Wow...that's very very interesting reading...and in some respects, if it was 3yrs on and John Sheridan was about to move from a decent-ish League Two side, back up into League One...what you've written there could be almost like it (bits highlighted in bold.) Had Shez learned from his mistakes, I do feel he could've been that manager and do feel he might one day, elsewhere....In essence, we could have the finished article now in Penney. Someone who's gone down that learning route, as you say, and comes out with the answers to the exam paper.

One hopes!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Im quite happy with Penney, he was a name that always cropped up when i was reading the sundays or football bits and bobs, but i never paid immidiate attention to him.

After countless hours of reading all sorts, the only bad words i have seen against him was from US, and even those were digs at TTA for not bringing someone who could put bums on seats!

Its a bold move for us, obviously we dont know what has been said behind the scenes so we dont know what he has to work with, but reading through a few things he has worked well at both Darlo & Donny, and fair play to him.

For a manager to bring a side from the conference into League 1, is some going and that for me gives me hope that as a set of fans (and from what i have read in the last few pages) we will give him time.

If anyone on this board expects promotion next season i would be surprised, top 10 finish, yeah!

Its win, win for TTA, if we dont go up they still have the foundations there for a better second season under DP, and if we do go up it will show that they were right all along.

With all this i doubt he will be on a lot of money and i doubt you will find many if not any other managers below the championship who have achieved what he has, taking into account money and league position.

Watch this it will be Gannon now!

:tongue1:

It's been said elsewhere that it's not the missing out on promotion that's sending folk to Wilsonsville it's the fact that we've been watching a half hearted team of bottle jobs for far too long. No sooner had they had the chance they were all laying back and sparking up the cigars. They think they're better than they are and have deemed it acceptable to turn up with the wrong frame of mind and give performances 50% effort. It's not effin on and I really don't want to see the majority of them again.

But with a disciplinarian in charge, and by all accounts DP isn't shy in this department, I'll give the team my support and encouragement. We've been through thick and thin, lower league positions than we currently hold, 'fighting' relegation. But we were doing so giving it our all. We weren't world beaters, far from it, FFS Paul Rickers had a major hand keeping us up!

All we ask is for a team who play with pride, passion and commitment, who will run through brick walls for eachother; it gives us fans the same mentality. But we've not seen anything close to that this season.

If DP comes in and gives us just one of the three traits then he'll do for me.

E4e

FIKUL

I agree with this Nik, the situation at the club requires someone who will not stand for any slackers and going off this season we might have a dressing room full of them. Let us hope that Penney will make it crystal clear that they pull their fingers out or they will be heading for the door.

More than happy with this appointment - Good Luck Dave. One things for sure he won't take any :censored: from the so called big heads in the team - they will be straight out the door.

I know I said the other day I would be disappointed if Penny, Adams or Jepson got the job but I've come round to the idea of DP taking over, his football style has always been good on the eye and Donny always gave us a good game, it's no disgrace that he couldn't get Donny up to the Championship.

Gannon was my first choice but DP's CV is the best of the rest.

Good god man.

I'm still in shock this morning coco.

I nearly replied last night, but was that shocked I couldn't get my fingers to work the keyboard. :grin:

Your almost saying what I was thinking.

Penny's Doncatser team played some good football and I recall gave us a good hiding around Christmas time at BP under uncle Ronnie and then we held them on the last day of the season at their old ground. Very forceful as a midfield set (something we have lacked this season) controlled games, very much worked as a team and I was surprised Ryan, let him go when he did. There again, Ryan was and is very ambitious. He works on similar lines to TTA in that he will only rarely pay a fee for a player, but will pay the right wages for one on a free.

I went to the Rochdale - Darlo playoff semi final 2nd leg at Spotland last season and I thought that Darlo were the better team on the day. Rochdale finished their chances better and then won the penalty shootout lottery. I also watched the Rochdale - Darlo game on sky a couple of weeks ago and in my view Darlo had improved on what I saw last season. Despite the fact that they were in administration and had virtually nothing to play for. I really believe that if he hadn't got them up this season, then it would only have been by failing in the play-offs again.

So of the names mentioned, Penny looks the obvious choice. Gannon is unlikely to make a sideways moved unless he is forced out by Stockport going into adminsitration. Holloway, whilst he is always good on the eye on the box, somehow would not sit well behind the scenes at BP in my opinion and has he ever managed up north?. Ince is likely to wait to see if a championship job comes up, Robins is unlikely to be accepted by our supporters, whilst Hill & Knill are on the verge of promotion either automatically or through the play offs and we cannot afford to wait until the end of May to see if one of them doesn't go up. The rest, including Adams, Ritchie et al were probably never in the equation.

Dave Penny, sounds just about right all things considered. Oh and we may just get a decent brand of football into the bargain.

Cheers,

Harry