Dave Penney. Happy or not?

singe

Dave Penney, good choice, or uninspired  

298 members have voted

1. 1. Happy or not?

• Happy, great choice
    • Underwhelmed, uninspired choice

Well he is experienced, and 2 promotions with Donny, a playoff season with Darlo (plus what probably would have been one this season) would suggest he can man manage. I am not sure what his budgets have been like, but admittedly neither are you, so dont know if he ticks that box...same can be said for contacts. His name will not put bums on seats, but then again, Joe Royle only put bums on seats for one game so for Latics to get a guy who will put bums on seats it would have to be a really really big name.

Agree...and where we're concerned, is there any bigger name than Royle to put bums on seats? Can't imagine there is...end of the day, it's not going to be an appointment to pander to the fans (we've done that one now after the Moore-Shez saga) it's an appointment that TTA feel suits the club best. Those buying ST's will buy them...those considering it, won't be that swayed either way by the appointment unless it was someone obviously bad or unpopular in our history. Which, I don't think Penney or many others named would be.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One club isnt experienced in my book...

Some of the rumours and comments I have read about him question his man management...

I have seen no evidence of him having contacts and from what I know he has had money to play with..

One club might not be experienced in your book, but he has managed two. And he has been a manager for the best part of a decade.

Like I say, two promotions and a good track record...he must have some man management skills.

I have seen no evidence of him having contacts and from what I know he has had money to play with.. - 2 promotions.

We are a third division football club...we get third division managers.

Someone came in and gave them that extra kick...he had taken them as far as he could, which was quite a long way! Its really not uncommon in football, and doesnt make him a bad manager.

Rose tinted glasses mate...

The guy who couldnt get Rovers up with their budget is going to get us up with our budget ?

Im all for getting behind him but this is a very questionable decision...

Rose tinted glasses mate...

The guy who couldnt get Rovers up with their budget is going to get us up with our budget ?

Im all for getting behind him but this is a very questionable decision...

Rose tinted? I'm just saying he has a good record at his previous clubs and that it doesn't seem like that bad an appointment. He got them up two divisions with their budget. Who did you want?

Rose tinted? I'm just saying he has a good record at his previous clubs and that it doesn't seem like that bad an appointment. He got them up two divisions with their budget. Who did you want?

I could name ten managers... Seems kind of pointless though....

I did fancy Ince...mainly due to his experience at top level, contacts and record of success...

Who did you want....I bet it wasnt this fella...

Edited by oafc0000

I did fancy Ince...

Name 10. Realistic ones though, cos we can all say Mourninho, Wenger etc.

I can tell you I didnt want Ince (and that was unrealistic), or Robins, or anyone with dirty Red connections (and in that I dont mean anyone like Ritchie because he is blue through and through).

I was thinking Penney wouldnt be bad, or Alan Knill. Didnt really want Gannon because his fiery temeperament...dont think he would last long with Corney. People like Holloway, Adams, Boothroyd were no no's because I dont like their style of football.

Name 10. Realistic ones though, cos we can all say Mourninho, Wenger etc.

I can tell you I didnt want Ince (and that was unrealistic), or Robins, or anyone with dirty Red connections (and in that I dont mean anyone like Ritchie because he is blue through and through).

I was thinking Penney wouldnt be bad, or Alan Knill. Didnt really want Gannon because his fiery temeperament...dont think he would last long with Corney. People like Holloway, Adams, Boothroyd were no no's because I dont like their style of football.

I aint sitting here naming ten managers just so you can pick them apart...utterly pointless and I have doors to start painting before the tonights match starts

I aint sitting here naming ten managers just so you can pick them apart...utterly pointless and I have doors to start painting before the tonights match starts

Well dont, cos I was only going to pick them apart with your own criteria...which you know they dont all match.

I did fancy Ince...mainly due to his experience at top level, contacts and record of success...

I would have liked Bobby Robson but we are a 3rd Divison club, the prospect of managing us isnt something an ex professional millionaire player wants or needs.

Football Managers these days who have £1,000,000's in the bank dont fancy the challenge, they can pick and wait for the best job at the top clubs to come about.

Joe Royle said has much, the job is perfect for a young manager who has the strength to get the job done.

I'm glad we have a manager who will want to work at getting oldham athletic promoted not a manager who will work at getting himself a bigger club like Ince, Dowie et al would have done or did in Dowies case !

I think that a big factor in Donny going up was one, Richie Wellens! Donny were doing the same dance as we'd done for the last 3 seasons. Sean O'D was quite lucky a player of Wellens ability became available when he did. Sometimes, that bit of luck is all you need. We'll never know if Penney could've done the same had he had the luck of timing to get such a good player for this level and go up with them. Based on his close attempts to get in the playoffs previously, the answer is most possibly yes.

There's no pleasing some people...Back to back promotions with Doncaster and without the admin deduction would be in the shout for at least a playoff place with Darlington this year.

What makes you think the likes of Ince or Gannon would want to come here.....He's as good as we could hope for cos we ain't Real Madrid!

He's got bags of experience in the lower divisions and must have liked what TTA have said about our club.....He will get my backing 100%

Didn't know anything about the guy, but instead of instantly moaning about someone I don't know anything about like some of the numptys on here i read this article posted in another thread.

http://soccerlens.com/dave-penney-profile/5702/

Sounds promising, good man management, good in transfer market with or without money, like to play good football, 442, ambitious but still loyal. Nothing really that negative, as someone said the article is a bit bias but it does reference a lot of interesting interviews.

People are always going to piss and moan and never be happy unless we get Pep Guardiola etc etc but you can't argue with this guys record.

Its funny reading some of the comments :)

I remember same conversations about Moore and Sheridan...and I was the left man standing pleading for them to keep their jobs :)

This guys success comes from time building sides up...I wonder if someone of lot have the patient for that....

One of the reasons why i dont fancy him is because he wont bring you lot instant success you crave....

I will be fully behind him just to make that clear... like I have been beyhind all our managers / players...