Taylor - Birmingham

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha Ha! only just noticed it was an old thread myself. I thought everyone had gone barmy wanting over a million!

Judging off this seasons efforts i'd take the £600,000, but can taylor get back to anything like his best?

It remains to be seen.

Here we go again,

you know the seasons coming to a close when the papers start with the taylor rumours,

its going to be a done deal for him to go to leeds/everton/birmingham/newcastle/sheff utd/barcelona/the dog and duck again for any price between 10m and 5p + packet of crisp

maybe one day they will check sources with latics before writing that hes going, or at least check about his availability or if hes happy

Here we go again,

you know the seasons coming to a close when the papers start with the taylor rumours,

its going to be a done deal for him to go to leeds/everton/birmingham/newcastle/sheff utd/barcelona/the dog and duck again for any price between 10m and 5p + packet of crisp

maybe one day they will check sources with latics before writing that hes going, or at least check about his availability or if hes happy

The topic is a year old :unsure:

Exactly. Hilarious reading some of the proclamations of grandeur earlier in this thread...

I'm sure the scouts have still been in the stands this season (and th last 6 months of last) - what do you think thier reports on Talys would be? "Looks Injured" "lacking Confidence" "barely any impact" "probably still worth a punt if we can get on the cheap" "Looked good but needs a hell of a lot of work, looks like he has been spoiled by a season too long with crap coaching"

The only reason anyone would pay £500k + for talor is on 'potential' because he has been shocking for the last 18 months, and that isnt going to change if he stays here.

The time to sell Taylor was last year, when he still looked like a player, we looked like a good team, and to be honest, neither of us looked desperate. Personally I hope he buggers off as soon as possible for himself - so he might still have a chance of making it at a higher level, as he is just going to get worse here.

£600k? yes please....

Indeed. He's served his time here - I think it would be cruel if the club refused to let him play at a higher level.

Ritchie82 - looking through your posts today I would like to know

A) What did you have for breakfast?

B) Can I have some?

a) Donna on Nan

b ) I was saving some for tea and its from last night but yes, yes you can.

Edited by ritchie82

I know it is an old thread and that but the thing with selling young players is:

If they are good we’ll have the money but never be able to replace them. Take Eardley for example, now I know he isn’t as good as Lomax but for £300,000 we couldn’t get a player like him. Even if we could get someone as good as him they wouldn’t come and would go to a better team.

Youngsters through the youth team are the way forward as they will play for you and not decide that Plymouth is a better offer.

Even if we sold Taylor for 600k who would we get in who is as good? sure he’s had a bad season blighted with injury but he is still the best player we’ve had at Oldham for a few years and he wants to play for us which is a major plus.

I agree with most of that, but two factors to bear in mind: firstly, sometimes, the money does come in handier, particularly if they don't turn out to be that good or suffer injuries (so the money now is better than finding it out later, and bigger clubs can afford that hit more than we can afford to ignore it). Secondly, sometimes it's better to cash in that to lose out to a tribunal or training compensation fee (or nothing at all, for cross-border transfers) when contracts expire.

Other than those two situations it's hard to argue. I hope Eaves is with us for years to come and develops into a quality player.

I know it is an old thread and that but the thing with selling young players is:

If they are good we’ll have the money but never be able to replace them. Take Eardley for example, now I know he isn’t as good as Lomax but for £300,000 we couldn’t get a player like him. Even if we could get someone as good as him they wouldn’t come and would go to a better team.

Youngsters through the youth team are the way forward as they will play for you and not decide that Plymouth is a better offer.

Even if we sold Taylor for 600k who would we get in who is as good? sure he’s had a bad season blighted with injury but he is still the best player we’ve had at Oldham for a few years and he wants to play for us which is a major plus.

Quite right, but at the same time there needs to be space for young lads to move up into in order to get their chances for which you need to sometimes release the guys ahead of them.

I know this isn't too serious, but the two-penneth is that our issue selling Taylor now is that he's had a bad season and his value would be bottom dollar. While I certainly think we need to be fair to the player when establishing a value (I'm no fan of trying to price people out of transfers they dream of) we need to look to the club's advantage too. That said, if we could get £600k now then it would represent tidy business on the fiscal side of things and we would have to seriously ackowledge that even were he playing amazingly well we'd likely never get more than £800k for him - to which end we would have to sell.

In short, if the club get a serious bid of half a million then Taylor goes at the end of the season and some of the cash goes towards getting a pacy striker to run off Abbott. Said striker scores dozens and we get promoted, Taylor is disillusioned by a lack of first-team chances and comes back for a pittance having fully cured his injuries (due to not playing) and as a better player given the expert training he's received. Newly turbo-charged Chrissy Taylor roasts the whole of the Championship and our attacking triumvirate of (together with Abbott and the as yet unseen wonder striker) take a tightly knit club into the Premier League via the play-offs. Using the vast wealth we receive BP is redeveloped in situ and the club become a European force to be reckoned with using the Arsenal model of ownership and youth focus.

All we need is £600k for Chris Taylor...

Quite right, but at the same time there needs to be space for young lads to move up into in order to get their chances for which you need to sometimes release the guys ahead of them.

I know this isn't too serious, but the two-penneth is that our issue selling Taylor now is that he's had a bad season and his value would be bottom dollar. While I certainly think we need to be fair to the player when establishing a value (I'm no fan of trying to price people out of transfers they dream of) we need to look to the club's advantage too. That said, if we could get £600k now then it would represent tidy business on the fiscal side of things and we would have to seriously ackowledge that even were he playing amazingly well we'd likely never get more than £800k for him - to which end we would have to sell.

In short, if the club get a serious bid of half a million then Taylor goes at the end of the season and some of the cash goes towards getting a pacy striker to run off Abbott. Said striker scores dozens and we get promoted, Taylor is disillusioned by a lack of first-team chances and comes back for a pittance having fully cured his injuries (due to not playing) and as a better player given the expert training he's received. Newly turbo-charged Chrissy Taylor roasts the whole of the Championship and our attacking triumvirate of (together with Abbott and the as yet unseen wonder striker) take a tightly knit club into the Premier League via the play-offs. Using the vast wealth we receive BP is redeveloped in situ and the club become a European force to be reckoned with using the Arsenal model of ownership and youth focus.

Ha :grin:

Top Stuff - if only eh?

Abbott getting us promoted to the premiership? Him scoring more than three in the championship is less likely than all of the above.