Greegs released

I agree though we do need some experienced players from higher leagues but I think the gems at this level tend to be ones who step up with passion than down just to get fit to see out their career , just my opinion though :wink:

A team of ten Ernie Cookseys/Wes Wilkinsons would see us struggling more than we did the season they played for us. A team of ten Sean Gregans/Lee Hughes's would see us as champions.

Just my opinion though :wink:

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A team of ten Ernie Cookseys/Wes Wilkinsons would see us struggling more than we did the season they played for us. A team of ten Sean Gregans/Lee Hughes's would see us as champions.

Just my opinion though :wink:

Yeh suppose its which players you get from both ends of the spectrum

Like you say a team full of Ernies and Wilkinsons wouldnt do the trick , but a team full of Eastwood/ becksfords , Fitz Halls would

A team full of Gregans/ Lee hughes would work but a team full of Ricketts Byfields Windass's wouldnt

Yeh I know :)

Then why cite a small handfull who have made the step-up? Also, why not compare the cream of the former non-league players to the cream of the has beens, and vice versa.....

John Sheridan > McLean

Dean Windass > Wes Wilkinson

Gregan is still good enough for this level but he's expensive. In his heyday he was a very good player (I remember him taking us apart playing for Preston from midfield). I can see him playing for the likes of Scunny (if they don't go up), Hudders or maybe Carlisle (not Hartlepool nor Tranmere) next season. I might have kept him but not for longer than 1 year and ideally seen him take a pay-cut. However, I'm sure Big Dave knows a thing or two about value for money and with the wages Gregan was on it is quite feasible he can find someone of similar quality and still have about £1000/week to spend on someone else. Joe apparently rated him but maybe he could see a 36 year old ending up going a season too far and left this information for Big Dave. This kind of reminds me of the situation with Andy Liddell this year where he went half a season too far but he contributed when we were doing well.

To call him a Latics legend is stretching things a bit far- he was good but he was never Latics legend status (wasn't here long enough and he didn't really get us into the playoffs nor escape relegation).

Good Luck Sean, I will give you a warm reception if you return.

Another big ego and big wage out of the dressing room then. Is it a bad thing? Time will tell.

But we certainly haven't looked like setting many 'clean sheet records' this year have we, whilst recognising there are 10 others defending alongside him.

I quite liked his 'big' personality on the pitch, not so sure how positive it was off it though.

Regardless of his shortcomings in the pace stakes, we will certainly needing to be bringing in a leader on the pitch next season, to replace him.

A good move for the future of the team though imo.

it had to happen. big dave has been watching the videos of this season, probably only the defeats or maybe even the draws, and he would have seen greegs stood out of position with his hands on his hips on too many ocassions. plus his tendancy to play balls along his own 18 yard line, or rush up to the halfway line and miss a header, or try to catch the other team offside and fail miserably.

now lets see where he ends up, and it wont be in the premier league like a few on here expect..

Hopefully Penney will have seen Danny Jones as a left back totally incapable of defending. For example:- Jones hasn't a clue of how to hold the line,thus players who would have been caught offside,aren't. Never mind though, just take the easy option,being the ball watcher you obviously are and blame Gregan.

Hopefully Penney will have seen Danny Jones as a left back totally incapable of defending. For example:- Jones hasn't a clue of how to hold the line,thus players who would have been caught offside,aren't. Never mind though, just take the easy option,being the ball watcher you obviously are and blame Gregan.

obviously? how so?

you are right about jones by the way, top going forward and pretty good in the tackle, but not to great positionally. i dont know what this makes you, seeing as i managed to notice, and regularly comment on, your tremendous observation, whilst not taking my eyes off the ball.

obviously youre just a kick and rush merchant :grin:

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFF

On balance I think it's the right move. Age, pace, and presumably wage all counted against him. Thanks for the 93 games, good luck with the next move.

It does concern me a little that we're losing experienced players - but they were all on the far side of experienced, and I'd imagine on a few bob. I suspect Penney plans to line up a few late twenty-somethings on lower wages.

gregan was good when the ball was coming towards him, but once it had gone past him, he had no turn of pace. also didnt like the way he bollocked players for mistakes sometimes just after he had made one himself. feel the dressing room will be a more comfy place to be now.

I will miss that big arse knocking oposition centerforwards into next week, Did a good job and i thought always performed very well in bigger games and against his for club leeds, Just hope he doesnt play against us next term, Good look greegs

I can't be bothered to trawl through all of this thread, and I'm sure my thoughts have been echoed by others already.

Greegs has been a fantastic servant to the club and in my opinion will be badly missed. He is a top class defender, and yes his pace is pretty much gone but as with anyone at this level, if there wasn't a bad aspect to his game he'd be in a higher division. My immediate thought is a bad decision has been made, but times are tight and Greegs ain't gonna come cheap. I hope his replacement, however, is more of a goalscoring threat. Rubes has started(ish) to chip in, but we've been missing a goalscoring centreback now for years.

Good luck Sean, thanks for the 2 and a half years.

at the end of the day he is almost 36 years old,and no matter how good a header of the ball he is,or how "hard" he is...he will get done for speed 90% of the games we play.

we have leaked goals this season far too many times,and although you cant put them all down to him,he has been in the limelight more often than not for making a mistake.

whilst for the majority of the time he has been fine,we cant have any sentiment towards underachieving players who command a good wage and give little in return.

dave penny hasnt seen enough of him to make a decision so im assuming he has gone off big joes dossier of who is and who isnt good enough,and used his own thoughts that at 36,he is too old for us if were going to be going forward as a club and a team.

i have nothing against greegan,but it is time to move on and we could use his wage wiser.

Couldn't agree more. Gregan was immense some of the time. If ever there was a game to sum Gregan up it was Hartlepool away this season. He was awesome in the first half when it looked like we could go and win by 3 or 4. What happens second half? Gives away a penalty and gets sent off.

A good player but Penney has made the right decision IMO.

Guest sheridans_world

Thanks Sean, All the Best. Personally I dont want him to go, you can always count on him having a good game and he rarley makes big clangers.

That said, I'm sure Penney could bring two players on smaller wages in to replace one big earner, which in a smaller squad is essential.

I must say I'm a little surprised and disappointed that Gregan's not been offered a new contract. Definately one of our better players over the past 2 1/2 years and one I would have kept for another season.

However, despite Big Joe's praise, Dave Penney either doesn't rate him or feels he can better spend his budget. Or Greeg's was looking for a 2 year contract instead of the 1 which would have sensibly been our limit.

Apparently, "The full story of Gregan’s departure will appear in tomorrow’s Chronicle", so maybe all will be revealed.

i'm personally glad that Gregan has gone. it looks lke Penney as come in and said 'OK, anybody who was pally with Shez, seeya later, this is now my club and I am your boss, not your friend'

He was one of the players who didn't really need to train for his place, he was guarenteed it regardless.

Onwards and upwards

If he can find players in League 2 or below who really have fallen through the net and are worthy of League 1 football, or even higher, then great. However, if you buy League 2 players, that's where you'll end up.

Wish we'd bought half of Peterborough and half of Franchise last season.

Anyway, good luck and thanks to the big man. So many people couldn't see that someone they thought was a HOOOOOFER was actually one of the best ball players we've had in the past decade, as well as a dominant defender. Who knows whats gone on? Maybe DP wants a couple of his own leaders in and feels that Gregan would be out of place, maybe he has asked for more on his contract than we want to go to, maybe he has already sorted something out or wants to do so to be nearer home. Anyway, definitely one of the best players we have had post Premiership.