Hitting the 4500 target

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only that, it was only up by about eighty or so, wasn't it? Any number of factors, including the ones you mention could be responsible for that.

It was around 300.

9 clubs in the division got bigger crowds.

15 didn't.

Latics bucked a downwards trend. Clubs like Leicester, Leeds etc visited all the other teams in the division too.

Part of the reason for the bigger crowds: Being in the play-offs most of the season rather than hoping to get in to them. There is a risk of drop-off if we don't spend much of next season in the top 6.

Being in the top 6 with a lower league manager, unknown squad and 3 "big" teams being relegated won't be an easy task.

For me it's a no brainer. I'm from outside Oldham originally but there is nothing my son loves more in life than a Saturday afternoon at BP. Rain or shine, win, lose or draw it means everything. It matters. It's fun.

I've renewed x 2 and urge everybody who can dig deep enough to find the money before the deadline to do so. Not because I want my £70 back, but because I want to see BP rocking every week.

It was around 300.

9 clubs in the division got bigger crowds.

15 didn't.

Latics bucked a downwards trend. Clubs like Leicester, Leeds etc visited all the other teams in the division too.

Part of the reason for the bigger crowds: Being in the play-offs most of the season rather than hoping to get in to them. There is a risk of drop-off if we don't spend much of next season in the top 6.

Being in the top 6 with a lower league manager, unknown squad and 3 "big" teams being relegated won't be an easy task.

For me it's a no brainer. I'm from outside Oldham originally but there is nothing my son loves more in life than a Saturday afternoon at BP. Rain or shine, win, lose or draw it means everything. It matters. It's fun.

I've renewed x 2 and urge everybody who can dig deep enough to find the money before the deadline to do so. Not because I want my £70 back, but because I want to see BP rocking every week.

We had all this last week in the other attendances thread. In short, it doesn't matter at all that we bucked a downward trend. What matters to this club is that we get significantly fewer fans on average at BP, in a season where it appeared for a long time that we were challenging for promotion, than we did in the 2003-4 season, after we nearly went bust, and during the following season, when we nearly got relegated. This suggests that significant numbers have given up the faith.

While renewing/purchasing a ST might be a no-brainer for you (and even me), it clearly isn't for enough people, including for people for whom it would have been not long ago. Therein lies the problem.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Season ticket holder for 20 years (pretty good seen as I am 27).

Enough spare cash as the moment but will not be getting a season ticket. In fact of all the latics fans I know I can't think of one who is.

The club is on its arse. The team is going to be loaded with journey men with less quality than last season and we are going to have a less talented group of players than last year. Not what I want to see.

Hopefully Taylor will stay and Smalley will reach the levels I think he can but the names being linked with us are pants. Lets be honest who would sign for us if they are any good anyway? We aren't going anywhere but backwards.

The moment they let a commited, consistent and whole hearted player like Mark Allott leave was the moment I decided I wouldn't be getting one.

Season ticket holder for 20 years (pretty good seen as I am 27).

Enough spare cash as the moment but will not be getting a season ticket. In fact of all the latics fans I know I can't think of one who is.

The club is on its arse. The team is going to be loaded with journey men with less quality than last season and we are going to have a less talented group of players than last year. Not what I want to see.

Hopefully Taylor will stay and Smalley will reach the levels I think he can but the names being linked with us are pants. Lets be honest who would sign for us if they are any good anyway? We aren't going anywhere but backwards.

The moment they let a commited, consistent and whole hearted player like Mark Allott leave was the moment I decided I wouldn't be getting one.

Similar situation.

It's more than likely I will get one as my mates are getting them but I agree with pretty much everything else there.

We had all this last week in the other attendances thread. In short, it doesn't matter at all that we bucked a downward trend. What matters to this club is that we get significantly fewer fans on average at BP, in a season where it appeared for a long time that we were challenging for promotion, than we did in the 2003-4 season, after we nearly went bust, and during the following season, when we nearly got relegated. This suggests that significant numbers have given up the faith.

I shouldn't but.....

why did you pick 2003-04?

Why not compare to last season if you're talking about a decline? Or compare to the season that CM took over and we made loads of signings and finished 9th after 3 years of bottom half finishes? Is it beacuse your scientific method involves only using figures that suit your point? Again and again and again?

You really are becoming a parody of statistical abuse. You're more like Frazer:- "We're doomed!".

Selective reasoning isn't it. The stats are meaningless because they include big teams, but the stats without the big teams prove attendences are falling! Do keep up! :wink:

You are absolutely correct. I made 2 mistakes - even responding to it in the first place and thinking that any reasoning applied here.

"A parody of statistical abuse" - I like it.

Excuse me, but I thought our motto was "Keep the faith". Then I read stuff like "The team is on I'ts arse" . Erm as yet I dont think we have next seasons team in place. The same bloke states that the team will be loaded with journeymen, and less talented players than last season, and who would sign for us if they were any good. It may have escaped your attention that we are a third division football club living in the shadow of far bigger clubs,and on a day to day basis it TOUGH. I can assure you there will be lots of players that are very good, that would want to sign for us if the alternative was the dole queue. I am upset by constant negative comments from so called "Latics" fans. fact is unless you are a fan of one of the top six clubs in the country, your lifes journey as a fan will be littered with anger,dissapointment, gut wrenching heartache, and very occasionally deep joy. May I respectfully suggest we may all have a better club if we cut out the whinging, supported and backed OUR club. and above all "KEEP THE FAITH".

Excuse me, but I thought our motto was "Keep the faith". Then I read stuff like "The team is on I'ts arse" . Erm as yet I dont think we have next seasons team in place. The same bloke states that the team will be loaded with journeymen, and less talented players than last season, and who would sign for us if they were any good. It may have escaped your attention that we are a third division football club living in the shadow of far bigger clubs,and on a day to day basis it TOUGH. I can assure you there will be lots of players that are very good, that would want to sign for us if the alternative was the dole queue. I am upset by constant negative comments from so called "Latics" fans. fact is unless you are a fan of one of the top six clubs in the country, your lifes journey as a fan will be littered with anger,dissapointment, gut wrenching heartache, and very occasionally deep joy. May I respectfully suggest we may all have a better club if we cut out the whinging, supported and backed OUR club. and above all "KEEP THE FAITH".

Don't want this to sound like a "North Yorkshire massive" but I agree wholeheartedly. My two tickets have been ordered.

I don't know who we will sign but why should they not be of the quality of others who were dismissed on here before a ball was kicked? Hazell - Chestefield cast off. Allott - rubbish whe he was here first time. I even remember Latics fans slagging Eyres and Carss before they'd played because they were either over the hill or free cast offs.

i work two weekends out of three and am a single dad whose ex likes to play games when it comes to having time with my 18th month old son. i will be there whenever possible but a season ticket is not a possibility to me.

Been there, done it, got the tee shirt and washed it twenty zillion times. They do get fed up of the games in the end. I now have a very normal relationship with my 16 year old daughter for many years, stick in there brother it's worth it in the end.

To avoid the queue on Wednesday and Thursday next week..

Don't forget the early-bird discount deadline is 12 noon on Thursday 28th May.

What queue will that be. There will be no queue. Particularly not during the week when the majority of people (bar us with jobs in education) :wink: are at work.

I'll guarentee there wont be more than two people infront of me when I get down there. There never is, unless it's for a cup/playoff game.

There is no rush.

What queue will that be. There will be no queue. Particularly not during the week when the majority of people (bar us with jobs in education) :wink: are at work.

I'll guarentee there wont be more than two people infront of me when I get down there. There never is, unless it's for a cup/playoff game.

There is no rush.

we are a massive club though luke, there be tens of thousands of people buying tickets next week! i might go tomorrow just to make sure that i can get one, dont want to miss out!!!

I shouldn't but.....

why did you pick 2003-04?

Why not compare to last season if you're talking about a decline? Or compare to the season that CM took over and we made loads of signings and finished 9th after 3 years of bottom half finishes? Is it beacuse your scientific method involves only using figures that suit your point? Again and again and again?

You really are becoming a parody of statistical abuse. You're more like Frazer:- "We're doomed!".

I picked 2003-4 because after modestly rising for the previous two seasons attendances held up that season despite the crisis the club found itself in. Same the following season despite a ridiculous slide into relegation trouble on the part of a team that shouldn't have been anywhere near danger. This suggests that people were prepared to keep the faith after the Chris Moore fiasco and were given renewed hope by the arrival of TTA, but attendances then began to slide back to where they were in the Andy Ritchie days (with some minor ups and downs)-and this despite what was considered a popular managerial choice in John Sheridan and improved league positions. You can only conclude that the latter isn't enough for many people, and that fewer and fewer people are any longer convinced that the club stands a chance of recovering lost ground and status, while the halting of the stadium redevelopment and the deteriorating facilities at BP don't convince all that many that the club is doing anything more than standing still.

I picked 2003-4 because after modestly rising for the previous two seasons attendances held up that season despite the crisis the club found itself in. Same the following season despite a ridiculous slide into relegation trouble on the part of a team that shouldn't have been anywhere near danger. This suggests that people were prepared to keep the faith after the Chris Moore fiasco and were given renewed hope by the arrival of TTA, but attendances then began to slide back to where they were in the Andy Ritchie days (with some minor ups and downs)-and this despite what was considered a popular managerial choice in John Sheridan and improved league positions. You can only conclude that the latter isn't enough for many people, and that fewer and fewer people are any longer convinced that the club stands a chance of recovering lost ground and status, while the halting of the stadium redevelopment and the deteriorating facilities at BP don't convince all that many that the club is doing anything more than standing still.

Why do you bother wasting the skin cells on your fingertips ?

Edited by Yard Dog