Jon Worthington signs

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come through the ranks at Huddersfield, a tough midfielder from what I think I can remember.

just read the os seems like another good signing we have missed a hard tackler in medfield for years also was a captain at huds

Jonathan Alan Spencer "Jon" Worthington (born 16 April 1983 in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire) is a professional footballer currently without a club, after being releasedby Football League One side Huddersfield Town.

Born in nearby Dewsbury, Worthington is a central midfielder who has been a superb tackler and because of it picked up 16 yellow cards last season. The other low point was that he missed Huddersfield Town's money-spinning FA Cup tie against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge also when Town played Chelsea in the 5th round in 2008, he was injured.

He was made captain in 2004 after previous captain Efe Sodje was stripped of the captaincy for getting a red card in a Football League Trophy against Blackpool (which Town lost 6-3 in extra time). He beat Nathan Clarke who was named vice-captain.

Many Terriers fans regard Worthington as being the main lynchpin of the Town midfield. Other midfielders have tried such as Michael Collins, Andy Holdsworth, Adnan Ahmed, Mark Hudson and loan signing Ronnie Wallwork, but many fans regard a Town midfield Four as incomplete without Worthington in the middle.

Following Andy Ritchie's departure as manager of the Terriers, Worthington was relieved of his captaincy duties by caretaker manager Gerry Murphy, so he could focus on his playing duties. The captaincy was taken up by Robert Page.

After being out of new manager Lee Clark's plans, Worthington moved on loan to Yeovil Town on January 30, 2009. He made his debut the following day in the 1-0 win over Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road. His loan was extended by another month on March 3, following impressive displays under new player-manager Terry Skiverton. He was recalled on March 26. However, it was revealed on April 17, that manager Lee Clark didn't see Worthington in his future plans and said he was not going to offer him a new contract.

same here, cant get in huds team??

but then again look at hooper who was at brighton couldnt get in there team but scunny sign him and look how good he was and back in the championship

Change of manager, think he was captain before Clark was in charge, might just have wanted a fresh start in his Huddersfield side by getting rid of the last captain.

Senor_Coconut Posted Today, 11:58 AM

Hmmmmmm, I await to be convinced on this one.

He'll be consistent, don't think he'll be a bad signing, whether he's the real deal we'll have to see.

Happy with this!

Tough as you like midfielder; always liked the look of him when we've played them. Remember him having some right ding-dongs with Wellens; though Richie did have the better of those contests IIRC.

Not a goal threat i don't think; but i think he'll be a heart-on-the-sleeve player in the middle of the park. Get in the thick of it, play in on type.

I'm happy with it; another 26 year old; right age; a Penney type of player; 2 year deal - won't have broken the bank wage wise........can also see him a our captain; over 200+ games for town; many of those as thier captain; guess we'll see. Good signing i feel :grin:

Happy with this!

Tough as you like midfielder; always liked the look of him when we've played them. Remember him having some right ding-dongs with Wellens; though Richie did have the better of those contests IIRC.

Not a goal threat i don't think; but i think he'll be a heart-on-the-sleeve player in the middle of the park. Get in the thick of it, play in on type.

I'm happy with it; another 26 year old; right age; a Penney type of player; 2 year deal - won't have broken the bank wage wise........can also see him a our captain; over 200+ games for town; many of those as thier captain; guess we'll see. Good signing i feel :grin:

This is key for me, we're signing players that should be in their prime and have 200+ league games under their belts, whereas in the past when we've signed similar aged players but they have hardly played any games in their careers and often been a disaster or been shipped out before the end of their contracts, people like Wood, JP, Rocky, Edwards, etc all spring to mind. Now we need a couple of strikers around the same sort of age one a big lad the other nippy, an experienced centre-half and a younger one, a left-back, maybe a wide-player and a keeper. Anything else will be a bonus when you add it to the crop of players we have retained.

Sounds like he's experienced enough without being old and past it! Its about time we saw some tough tackling at BP, im sick of seeing us being bullied on the pitch! Hopefully we can dish some out ourselves with this signing.

Looks like a good addition.

....Bit like Darren Fletcher at Man Ure

Champions League and Premiership winning quality? Great stuff. :wink: Seriously I know what you are trying to say.

Cannot say I remember him particularly but then if he is the 'water carrier' type that all teams need, then they tend to go unoticed - just doing simple things well, for most of the game.

As I live and work in West Yorkshire I did ask a colleague who is a ST holder at Town:

"Expect a booking per appearance, not much inventive play making and some feeble shooting" was the response.

But, then again, you rarely get a good review from an ex-fan do you?

Champions League and Premiership winning quality? Great stuff. :wink: Seriously I know what you are trying to say.

Cannot say I remember him particularly but then if he is the 'water carrier' type that all teams need, then they tend to go unoticed - just doing simple things well, for most of the game.

As I live and work in West Yorkshire I did ask a colleague who is a ST holder at Town:

"Expect a booking per appearance, not much inventive play making and some feeble shooting" was the response.

But, then again, you rarely get a good review from an ex-fan do you?

I remember signing him on FM2008 and i was lucky if he played half a season as he spent the rest suspended.

Still im pleased with the signing and pleased that Penney has identified (as if it wasnt obvious) that the midfield really needed sorting. 2 down, 7 more to come.

I remember signing him on FM2008 and i was lucky if he played half a season as he spent the rest suspended.

Still im pleased with the signing and pleased that Penney has identified (as if it wasnt obvious) that the midfield really needed sorting. 2 down, 7 more to come.

Simon, is that you?

:wink: