Jon Worthington signs

taylor and smalley on the wings clarke and danny graham [who ive always rated highly ] up front sounds good to me,would also try to sign simom hackney as cover,

i would be shocked if we get graham, we can only hope.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like another solid signing this one. I've seen him play a few times and he does like to get stuck in, but having only 8 bookings from a tough tackling centre-midfielder in a season isn't bad. (As someone pointed out Hughes had more than that last season). Looks to be a younger fitter version of Allot who we needed to replace (we have probably improved on Allot with Worthington tbh).

Great signing - played in one of the best midfields in the division when he was alongside Schofield and Gary Taylor-Fletcher a couple of season back. He was basically GTF's minder, and protected him from any stick from the oppos midfield - could see him doing exactly the same job with Taylor. Then GTF got all the plaudits and he got naffed off. Ignore the Town fans - two seasons ago they thought the sun shone out of his backside, he then handed in a transfer request as he thought he was the next big thang and Ritchie then Clarke told him where to go...

Great player... and still has a lot to prove after Town basically kicked him out... miles better than Allott IMO - and as has been said, mid twenties, a grafter, and will still be hungry to play at a higher level... Good work DP...

Midfield looking solid - now just need the two quality additions up-front...

:)

perfect trade up from allott. about time we had a bit of grit in midfield. my confidence in penney is growing as he seems to be tackling our key areas one at a time.

Just spoke to a Town fan who works on the same business park as me; says he's a bad one for the dressing room! I asked if that was true then how come he was captain for such a long time; to which he said, Jackson & Richie lacked the balls to take it off him; Clarke didn't & soon shipped him out t Yeovil.

I'm chuffed with the signing; as i said earlier in this thread - but i'm not sure if its sour grapes with this town fan or whether there's any substance to it?

Just spoke to a Town fan who works on the same business park as me; says he's a bad one for the dressing room! I asked if that was true then how come he was captain for such a long time; to which he said, Jackson & Richie lacked the balls to take it off him; Clarke didn't & soon shipped him out t Yeovil.

I'm chuffed with the signing; as i said earlier in this thread - but i'm not sure if its sour grapes with this town fan or whether there's any substance to it?

Please see my above post - typical balls from the Terriers...

Great signing - played in one of the best midfields in the division when he was alongside Schofield and Gary Taylor-Fletcher a couple of season back. He was basically GTF's minder, and protected him from any stick from the oppos midfield - could see him doing exactly the same job with Taylor. Then GTF got all the plaudits and he got naffed off. Ignore the Town fans - two seasons ago they thought the sun shone out of his backside, he then handed in a transfer request as he thought he was the next big thang and Ritchie then Clarke told him where to go...

Although not the same type of player, its exactly like speaking to (certain :wink:) Latics fans about Richie Wellens.

Great signing...

Yeovil fans thought he was good in the short time he was there...

''I'd certainly like to have him back I thought was a quality player.''

''a good first touch, can pass and would put his foot in''

''A top class player who would help stabilise midfield.''

don't think we were far off v Yeovil on the opening day 2005

Day

Forbes

Branston

Owen (Strictly speaking it was his third debut after signing permanently in the summer following his two loan spells)

Tierney

Scott

Wellens

Butcher

Liddell

Warne

Porter

Edwards was on the bench another debutee not sure if he made it onto the field though

So depending on which way you look at it we had 9 debutants in the starting 11 and 1 on the bench!

looks a good side that :unsure:

:grin:

Edited by dfOAFC

doubt very much we would have the compo for Graham.

Probably around 250k.

And I think we do have it. Corney did say before that there is money for transfer fees but only if we're sure that the player will be worth the money. We've paid 150k for Porter, 80k for Craig Davies, 30k for O'Grady and 30 odd k for Stephens. We were willing to pay 100k for NK, and a fee for Leon Clarke. 250k is a lot, but for a proven target man goalscorer who is still only 23? It's a no brainer, get your hands in your pockets Latics! Millwall have bid 750k for Ricky Lambert, they ain't that much better off than us. (Although they've just had a playoff pay day)

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Worthington has always really annoyed me when we played Huddersfield. Mainly cos hes done very little constructive. Its always been destructive. I.e. Stopping Latics from playing. Which is a quality we have lacked - we've not had anyone in the centre battling, giving a kick since mini shez. If he's have been in the side with Wellens maybe we'd have sold Wellens for 1.5m not Donny.

Welcome to BP Jon.

Good signing IMO.

And a repeated tiled background image. :ranting:

Aright guys just thought id give you a town report on Worthy, hes a proper 100% who worked hi socks off for town loved to get stuck in but really did lack the vision and passing to play the type of football Clark is wanting us to play, never really had a chance under clark as he just didnt rate him and clark says hes wants quality players who can play a division higher in my opinion Worthy cant, that and the fact we have just about sorted the deal for antony kay means he was never going to get back in. All in all hes not a bad signing and will give you everything hes got he leaves us with everyone wishing him the best!!. jqhtfc

What else do we need?

striker x 2

centre half x 2

left back

Creative central midfielder

keeper

There are plenty of players out of contract and IMO so far so good from Penney. Addressing our problems. Got a ball winner now lets get someone alongside him who can pass it.

Edited by pukka

Thanks for the info dude.

What's the status with Keigan Parker? I hear he's Scotland bound, anything concrete on that?

A decent left sided player, would love to see him here to allow Taylor to play on his natural side.

Yeah looks like Parkers off mate hes been training with killmarnock to be fair be glad to get him off the wages hes been :censored:e this season just not worked out for him and other player told he can leave, also let Andy Holdsworth go today after not agreeing a new deal so looks like where having abit of a clear out!!

Yeah looks like Parkers off mate hes been training with killmarnock to be fair be glad to get him off the wages hes been :censored:e this season just not worked out for him and other player told he can leave, also let Andy Holdsworth go today after not agreeing a new deal so looks like where having abit of a clear out!!

Hi, another town fan here.

Don't expect too much from worthy apart from getting the crowd going. He won over a lot of fans here for the way he smashed through players and picked up stupid bookings. He is very poor on the ball for a league one player, no vision and cant shoot. If you play him in defensive midfield then you will have real problems as he offers no protection to the back 4. Don't get me wrong, he is a solid league one player but dont be expecting Gatuso. One thing he does do is keep the team going and lead by example when times get tough

Good luck Jon, quality servant to the club