2009/10 JPT Competition?

OK, we all seem resigned to the fact that we will not be making a run on the league this season. It's a fair assumption given the turmoil and what not. I'm personally of the opinion that until maths say otherwise we'll be going up as chapions, that's just me though.

By the same token it's not very feasable that we will come close to winning the FA Cup or League Cup. Sure we might get a couple of big names to play against but that's that.

So, should the club make a determined and focused effort to win the LDV's this season? Should the ticket prices be reduced to £1/£2/£3 a game to try and get huge gates that will give us some atmosphere that might drive the team forwards and get a bit of excitement about the place? Give us a chance at playing at Wembley? You never know what advantage that might give you (See Scunny/Millwall) come the end of the season also.

Just a thought...

after being at Wembley watching Glossop the other week I have changed my stance on the competition and have decided that this should be our aim for next season

relatively speaking we ahould be gunning for glory in all competitions as far as im concerned....they are all there for the taking,admittedly some are more difficult than others,but all provide the club with extra income and generate much needed exposure of the club(seeing as we cant market ourselves very well),and are generally a good thing,the only time cup games and runs get out of order are if they cause you sevear injury problems whilst competing for top spot in the league.

The fact is that nobody cares about this cup until the regional finals. I would like a trip out to Wembley but I wouldn't put all our effort into a cup thats laughed at. I'd much prefer to concentrate our efforts on the league and trying to get to Wembley via the play offs. For me also drawing a Premiership team like Everton in the FAC is as good as going to Wembley as we'll probably never get to go to places like that for a long time.

I see what your getting at but It's hard to get motivated by Macclesfield in the JPT 1st round. I'll only take it serious after a few rounds, even Soccer AM make sly jokes about it when there drawing the teams out!

clubs lose money in this competition unless they get to wembley.

should have been scraped years ago.

side note:LDV are in financial trouble...yet another name change if they've not already paid up front?

Johnstones Paints I believe ... not been LDV for ages lol

So, should the club make a determined and focused effort to win the LDV's this season? Should the ticket prices be reduced to £1/£2/£3 a game to try and get huge gates that will give us some atmosphere that might drive the team forwards and get a bit of excitement about the place? Give us a chance at playing at Wembley? You never know what advantage that might give you (See Scunny/Millwall) come the end of the season also.

Just a thought...

Considering we couldn't sell the ground out when it was £2 a game in the league a couple of seasons back, and the general apathy towards the JPT, we could just end up making a huge loss so I can't see it happening. That being said, its a first team game at home and therefore I will be there, so as cheap as possible please.

And how much Johnstones Paints sponsorship of the trophy is working!

I've fixed it now... and it says a lot about how daft I am that I changed it from "Should we try and win the Paint Pot Cup?" to "2009/10 LDV's Competition?" - Idiot.

As for if it's worth while trying to win it... how do teams lose money on this JP? (I'm not arguing - just curious as to how it can be prevented)

I've fixed it now... and it says a lot about how daft I am that I changed it from "Should we try and win the Paint Pot Cup?" to "2009/10 LDV's Competition?" - Idiot.

As for if it's worth while trying to win it... how do teams lose money on this JP? (I'm not arguing - just curious as to how it can be prevented)

the running costs of staging at home games ,expenses,etc etc.

the winning money per each round doesn't cover these costs.

away games might be cheaper,but then you have traveling expences,wages on playing staff...win bonus's.

the running costs of staging at home games ,expenses,etc etc.

the winning money per each round doesn't cover these costs.

away games might be cheaper,but then you have traveling expences,wages on playing staff...win bonus's.

OK, so home games... why not do a rediculous ticket offer? If we're losing money anyway kids should be free. No paying adult crap, outright free. Adults should be £5 and Adult ST holders should be free with a paying adult (so bring a mate for £5 you get in free).

Massive promotion in the ground, ticket stalls for the forthcoming league game where you get a discount for buying on that particular day. Really market the bejesus out of it.

OK, we all seem resigned to the fact that we will not be making a run on the league this season. It's a fair assumption given the turmoil and what not.

Which is aload of rubbish really, how anybody could think that when were only just coming into June, with a new manager and a host of signings (hopefully) on the way!

However, i do agree i think the competition is there for the taking if you go for it.

And how much Johnstones Paints sponsorship of the trophy is working!

i still call it the simod cup, coz i can never remember the name.

its always been a waste of time comp but i wouldnt say no to a day out at wembley

At the start of the season our ultimate aim should be to win the division, win the League Cup, win the FA cup and win the JPT (but to have a good season relies on a lot less). Its that simple, we should go into every competition thinking we can win it until we are out of it. I'm still a little bit disappointed that we didn't play our first team against a Burnley side who had maybe 1 win all season up to that point (and that was against Bury) and look where they are now. We probably wouldn't have beat them but if we had played our first team with the appropraite formation we'd have had more of a chance.

A trip to Wembley is always a bonus. We have been in the competition for 14 years now and in that time we probably should have made it to Wembley if we had bothered. Yes i know clubs loose money if they get knocked out early (when they play at home) but if you get to the final you don't. Being realistic a good JPT run (and that means making it to Wembley) is probably our best shot of doing something this season (but my point at the start still stands).

Edited by rudemedic

its always been a waste of time comp but i wouldnt say no to a day out at wembley

Despite remembering it being called the Simod Cup, I never did find out who Simod were

That was a competition for important teams from the top two divisions. The Full Members Cup (rather than the Associate Members Cup which is the JPT).

Despite remembering it being called the Simod Cup, I never did find out who Simod were

Sportswear, apparently.

Presonally Ic an't see DAve Penney getting everyone together in June for the week and saying "Right lads, bit a of a tough start with you not knowing each, and 5 other players to join,s os we are only going for the JPT"

That said, it si good we are realistic about where we will finish.

I hope we outbattle a few more teams

When you see how much fans seem to enjoy themselves winning this supposedly meaningless cup, it makes you really want to win it. As far as I am concerned, its a first team competition, and should be treated seriously (that being said, the amount of times we have lost in it an it hasn't bothered me is quite high!).

When you see how much fans seem to enjoy themselves winning this supposedly meaningless cup, it makes you really want to win it. As far as I am concerned, its a first team competition, and should be treated seriously (that being said, the amount of times we have lost in it an it hasn't bothered me is quite high!).

I'm the same... before the game I want to see us win knowing it could lead to a bloody good pissup down larrndan tarn but when we lose I don't seem to be bothered by it.

I guess that's why people struggle to be motivated to go see it and why the team don't put in that 100% needed. Perhaps DP will change that with what appears to be a "100% or out you go" attitude.

That was a competition for important teams from the top two divisions. The Full Members Cup (rather than the Associate Members Cup which is the JPT).

Sportswear, apparently.

I've had Simod trainers when they supplied the armed forces.......the trainers fell apart after one or two runs.

As shorelatic said:

one of the things about being a latics fan is the ability to dream - and you never lose that that belief that at some time in the future something good will happen.

On that basis, and because I was double-booked once and had to miss a LDV match, I always enter the Paint Pot Trophy match dates in my diary before the season starts. So I've done just that today fom the OS before logging onto OWTB and finding this thread.

I know it doesn't make financial sense until getting to the Final, with all the merchandising opportunities. However, I would love it if we got to Wembley and I shall be doing my bit to get behind the team in the Paint Pot ties, hoping we paste and roller the opposition and enjoy our brush with success, with the fans' emulsions :wink: running high.

It's great to dream and after the likely failure during this coming season, I shall be dreaming again this time next year.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns